How important is for a writer to live in an environment were art and culture are everywhere...

How important is for a writer to live in an environment were art and culture are everywhere? To what extent does the location (city, town, country) in which a writer is can affect his or her craft?

Also, can the location affect the overall quality of some writer's work? By exposing him or her to much more culturally rich environments, can the surroundings inspire greater works? Of course, I'm not saying that you NEED to experience this type of environments to be a good writer, I'm asking your opinion whether it helps a lot to inspire writer, or does it come entirely from one's mind.

very difficult. you will never become a writer if you are from working class family, have bad (ie american) education and you care about writing since reading few Veeky Forums thread

Lrn 2 internet srsly...

Also find out the cultural social and natural beauty your environment has to offer

>Lrn 2 internet srsly...

que

r u srs m8

I think it can be very important. Discussing with coleagues is an essential deed for most writers. The internet is not enough, irl interactions are needed.

Obv. Everything is on the internet. Find it and surround yourself with it.

boy that was complicated.

I mean, that doesn't has to do with anything in this thread.

Hence the "que"

Not very, almost everybody got access to art and culture thanks to Internet, so living in Paris won't change too much.

>To what extent does the location (city, town, country) in which a writer is can affect his or her craft?
Pretty much none, unless you live in best Korea or something.

>I'm asking your opinion whether it helps a lot to inspire writer
Only indirectly, by associating the location with previous works and writers who write about/from said location.

>you will never become a writer if you are from working class family
Coming from a working class family doesn't mean that you will stay working class, and even if you do and work a shitty job for 60h a week, there would be still enough time for writing if you can manage your time. (although if you can manage your time, you're probably going to leave the working class first)

On the contrary, not coming from working class makes it very unlikely that you ever experienced real hardships; so it's unlikely that you could convey them in your writing as good as a person who did.

>have bad (ie american) education
Even American education in some ghetto school is far superior from what most writers had through time.

>the internet can replace the experience of walking through an art gallery in a autumn fair in Paris

sure thing m8

>Pretty much none, unless you live in best Korea or something.

That's kinda bold statement, isn't it? Could you elaborate as to why you think the surroundings aren't in almost any way? Can't certain traditions or cultural spaces endemic to certain cities affect the writer?

I'm not arguing, by the way. I'm really not that knowledgeable on the topic, just curious as I'm considering moving to other cities in the near future, and I want to know if they are at all to be considered when thinking about writing.

The Internet cannot provide some experiences for you.

Highly literate cultures have typically lost the sense of the real weight or power of literature in general, though they are capable of producing literature by mechanical and repetitive effort. Not really the infatuated "each-word-a-flower" kind of approach, be it to literature or any form.

But today all cultures are tending to merge for good or ill, or at least losing a great deal of cultural identity @globalization

>two different things aren't the same thing

*mind blown*

Perhaps not, but now anybody in a tiny village somewhere can open up Google Art Project and take a close look at innumerable great works of art

>were

This is bullshit
take a shot at it
if it sucks it sucks no biggie
but just because some highend user says some bullcrap because he thinks creeley is good writing and gogol, kant, and all that dull shit , doesnt make it so

>Can't certain traditions or cultural spaces endemic to certain cities affect the writer?
Of course they can but this is due the author letting himself be influenced by it from the previous knowledge and expectations he/she has about/from certain places ... it only works if you push it to happen ... which can be done from any location if you try hard enough. I doubt the very same person working on the very same work, will write anything different whether they are in New York or Tomsk. Due cultural factors the same person might start writing a different work from each city though ... if the person lets themselves to be influenced by their culture so easy.

Though I am feel that my explanation still needs work.

>I'm considering moving to other cities in the near future, and I want to know if they are at all to be considered when thinking about writing.
I'd say the act of moving to other cities does the job already, doesn't matter where since it's bit of a livestyle change in a different environment, where "different" is the crucial factor.

I am all for moving as often as you can afford and traveling even more often, but mostly because you're putting yourself into different situations.

If you have a decent basis of initial experience with social interactions, the Internet is actually even more valuable since it offers you a much larger picture, while your own experiences are bound to be very local and limited.

You're bound to find out things you never knew about the city where you lived for decades after 10 minutes of googling, unless it's some small ass village.

Yes I agree, I only argue that is not enough. The internet cannot give you certain experiences. You must go out and live.

Well Ian Fleming (James Bond Writer) got the inspiration of his books while he was traveling in a paradisiac island, is for that the scenario of his books are usually paradisiac places.

The enviroment dont restrict you, your only restriction is yourself, you need to take all you can from arround and make it better with your books

>You must go out and live.
Yeah, definitely agree. My point was that it doesn't matter WHERE exactly you do it.

I think the writer's own culture is what's important

>Everything is everything mang

True. Although, I feel like traveling and getting in touch with other cultures definitely broadens your worldview and leaks into your writing.

>You must go out and live.

Ugh, what is this. The ending to Great Expectations?

that's a good meme, but illogically placed.

you lose.

Are you arguing to be able to get enough life experiences from your room?

I don't believe in "either/or" philosophies. aka, one size fits all.

That just means you haven't learned more than how to put the square peg into the square hole, and you probably won't surpass it.

Location is definitely important. Critical, even.

One of Nietzsche's most interesting considerations is the effect of location/health/etc upon one's thinking and writing.

Depends on the writer

Thats not what he said
English isnt your first language is it ?

I wouldn't repeat what another said.

I would speak from my own mind.

I'm not a robot.

However, I predict your response will be predictable.

Sometimes, not always, though.

What work is that? I'd be thrilled to know what he as to say on the matter.