Notes from the underground

can someone help me with this one. is dostoevsky completely roasting the author? i thought some of the guy's points about acting irrationally to prove existence made sense... is the reader supposed to feel that the author is doing exactly what he says everyone else is doing - justifying his actions through conscious reasoning? just that the author doesn't recognize the conscious reasoning in himself because his conscious reasoning is the rejection of conscious reasoning? or did i totally miss some ideas?

also, general underground and dostoevsky discussion thread

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/thelastpsychiatrist/comments/34wabm/since_its_been_a_year_i_guess_ill_share_this_a/
youtube.com/watch?v=0qXV8aB3-fc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

THE UNDERGROUND MAN IS LITERALLY /R9K/ XDDDD hehe

bump

He is roasting him, but agreeing with some of his points doesn't make you "him." It's the overall portrait that matters.

Alone (an edgy blogger, in case you aren't familiar) had the best metric. If your girlfriend reads the story and says it reminds her of you, you're in trouble.

>I bet they didn't even read don quixote in its native language
As a spic, i must accept that reading the original manuscript is fucking impossible.
Any english speaker can read Shakespeare on old english, but you have to study old spanish for years to understand the original version.

>but agreeing with some of his points doesn't make you "him."

Exactly. He is more roasting his attitude towards those ideas, for me.

>Shakespeare on old english
no, user. not even if you said Chaucer. old english is like Beowulf in the original

old english to modern english is much harder than the difference between modern Castilian and Don Quixote. Don Quixote's probably closer to reading something after Chaucer.

Does the Underground Man come off to anyone else as being emotionally stunted? He sounds like a 16 year old yet he's 40 something.

I identified with about half of the Underground Bro's personality, and not only am I not ashamed, I'm proud of it. It makes me feel romantic and literary.

I don't undetstand the association between certain forms of thinking and age. Why is nihilism, just as an example, considered edgy and childish?

Because "maturity" these days just translates to "accepting the status quo and shutting the fuck up."

Shakespeare was technically modern English (albeit with a lot of archaic idioms which make it less accessible). Interesting point overall tho

i've started this book a few times in my life and always end up stopping a few pages in. the narrator is just so unbearable to me with all the "and now dear reader, i must tell you ____"

does it get better?

reddit.com/r/thelastpsychiatrist/comments/34wabm/since_its_been_a_year_i_guess_ill_share_this_a/

and this post is why nhilism is associated with edgy underages

>my moccasins are cutting into my feet

>not owning comfy full grain leather moccasins

TLP is great

The difference being the underground man would have felt the same pride, then felt ashamed for being proud of something so stupid

I think it's worse to see yourself as the man who invites himself to a group of friends but is the one who no one wants around; who doesn't pay his fair share; who can't get a woman and has to pay to have a wench listen to his problems; who can't see how well his life of relative freedom is compared to hers

The underground man, in relation to society, is a degenerate waste

It's a reaction to edgy nihilistic atheists in the 1800s; basically saying that no matter how much science/empiricism/rationality you put into man, he'll still wave the middle finger high and fuck it up for the sake of having the freedom to choose.

The crystal palace referenced in the book is basically Sam Harris.

It's about a degenerate in every one of us, and in FD himself. It's hilarious, yet also very depressing, kind of like that anecdote Svidrigailov tells Raskolnikov. Ultimately, it's about a little Svidrigailov (or Karamozovs' father) in every one of us, from whom we have to run as fast as we can.

That's just how males are. Boys will be boys, as they say.

>that anecdote Svidrigailov tells Raskolnikov
Remind me, what was this again?

girl at the dances

nah I don't remember

music for the book youtube.com/watch?v=0qXV8aB3-fc

What kind of Veeky Forums retardation is this? Reminds me of the Redwing boot shits who don't take care of their leather boots because "muh patina"

don't remember that either

I'm reading this and I'm almost done with the "Underground" part, but I'm not sure I'm "getting" it?
I feel like I entered a university lecture hall mid-semester in an unnamed course and the professor is just rambling and I have no idea what's going on. It's hard to pay attention at times.
I'm gonna finish the book but am I missing some perspective I'm supposed to have? It's my first Dostoevsky book (and book in general, haven't read in ages).

The first third of the book is actually semi-inane psycho-babble. Then the narrator unwillingly starts to tell actual stories from his life and book completely changes gears. You should finish it, bro. It is not a long read but I loved it.

get the fuck outta here normie

>semi-inane psycho babble

The moron is strong in this one. 2/10.

At least someone here got it.

Did you pseuds even read it?