There's this annoying connection between people who read, sweaters, hot beverages in mugs, coffee shops...

There's this annoying connection between people who read, sweaters, hot beverages in mugs, coffee shops, emotional experiences, romance, outsider status, autumn, contemporary folk music, and all that shit that's so goddamn oppressive.

So much imagery in contemp writing is based on this bizarre aesthetic. How can I divorce my thoughts from this stupid feminine paradigm? I also fear allowing it to control me by defining myself against it. I don't want to be comparable at all, apples and oranges. But now that I've addressed it I can't escape it.

Help

A hot cup of tea, a good book, and a comfy chair

Include cats, glasses, short girls, and reddit in this list

it's inescapable op

Zizek go home

I like all of these things except cats (mildly allergic and love my lab).

legit haha

thx ceiling cat

have you ever considered that you are having this problem because you are roped in by the forced perception of this garbage just as much as the plebs who eat this shit up?

I'm the opposite. I'm a huge 2m tall 100 kg constructions worker who reads to keep my mind intact during the drag that is my shift.

>sweaters
i like them
>hot beverages in mugs
i am indifferent to them
>coffee shops
they're alright i guess? if you go to the right one you are liable to meet some cool people
>emotional experiences
what is bad about having or enjoying emotional experiences? i enjoy feeling alive and i enjoy being inspired and emotionally moved. this does not necessarily mean sad or happy or anything else, just emotion.
>romance
i like romantic poetry. i romanticize. does that make me a romantic or one of those annoying "romance people"?
>outsider status
i have friends. considering yourself a social maverick is immature to me, but everyone is different in their aptitudes and whatnot.
>autumn
i enjoy autumn. the weather is generally nice and the foliage is attractive.
>contemporary folk music
mostly garbage, but not without the occasional good tune.
don't get so hung up on these silly stereotypes user. its inconsequential. a big burly misanthrope shut in can enjoy literature just as the dainty naive white girl can.

Why don't you kill yourself for being a pile of shit that thinks its' something better than a pile of shit?

thanks for the blog!

Never had this problem because I read all my books on the floor naked and my carpet smells like Cheetos not coffee.

lol this is silly. everyone knows true literati listen to phil collins, watch anime, and manipulate barely legal girls into sleeping with them

am i jaded asshole or are you being a sarcastic fuck? this board ruins people man.

There's this annoying connection between women who post on forums, spray painted hair, gross body weight, overly emotional experience, lack of romance, outsider status, summer, shitty indie music, and all that shit that's so goddamn oppressive

SO much imagery in contemp writing is based on this TRIGGERING aesthetic. How can I divorce my thoughts from this cisgender paradigm? I also fear allowing it to control me by defining myself against it. I don't want to be comparable at all, because I'm different. But now that I've addressed it I can't escape it.

Help

Just let it go.

>Feeling the need to inhabit a faux personality in order to identify with peers who enjoy the same media as you.

Form your own opinions, don't assume you have to take the whole 'Readers do this' package.

I am an assembly/warehouse worker who reads for enjoyment, self-improvement, and self-actualization. I never mention this to my peers unless directly asked because I know they will use it as a basis to form incorrect assumptions about my life or my personality.

this site ruins people

OP can go to hell, I love most of those things. Also a good sweater on a peak autumn day? Shit doesn't get better than that (unless you have a hot beverage in a mug).

>sweaters
they keep me warm
>hot beverages
i dont understand, any beverage is fine
>coffee shops
overpriced
>emotional experiences
yeah
>romance
i enjoy it
>outsider status
very, very few people are actually authentic "outsiders". i think the better term would be "people who think they are outsiders but arent' kek
>autumn
winter is better
>contemp folk
"folk" music cannot exist post music industry. neo-anything is never good. contemp folk is inoffensive trash most of the time.

>tfw authentic outsider and trend-setter but so outside that I will never be considered for or recognized as such

>underage snowflakes

I look like a young, fatter Zizek and I'm too poor to fit that whole imagery (coffee shops and such are expensive).

I honestly wouldn't mind "fitting in" to some sort of subcultural aesthetic, not that it matters too much. But still, this sort of ~individuality~ has its costs; one isn't reallly ever fully part of any subculture, one is always like a stain on a kitschy image. I don't look like I should be at that poetry night at the theatre pub, but I am, etc.

Isn't this just more a list of things which are comfy? And reading certain books, is part of that comfy ideal picture?

But that's not the books you read or should be reading, OP.
>reading for enjoyment
That's Harry Potter. Maybe some crime novel. Some chick-lit, or Dan Brown.
It isn't complex philosophical works or works with good prose.

>emotional experiences

nice try man i'm ruthless

I didn't come here to feel this feel

What do you read good prose for if not enjoyment? Appreciation of art is still enjoyment, just a higher form of it than masturbation or drinking a nice coffee.

Heck, I bet even most philosophy nuts enjoy their interest (or profession in case of students etc)

>sweaters
They're comfy and keep you warm in the cooler months of Autumn, which is the objectively best season I might add.
>hot beverages in mugs
I'm not going to drink my hot coffee in a fucking glass, now am I? This is something that like 80% of the first world does, even those who don't read.
>Coffee shops
Cafe culture is Veeky Forums as fuck. Gets you out of the house, you meet your friends there and discuss your writing or reading, shit's cash.
>emotional experience
How dare people be normal?!
>romance
NORMIES REEE!!!
>outsider status
Man, almost like you're contradicting yourself. The reader types who become outcasts tend to be the more academic types or the obsessives.
>Autumn
See 'sweaters'
>Contemporary folk music
Unoffensive and not distracting. I don't get it but I understand why you'd listen to it while reading.
>shit's oppressive
Ayy lmao
10/10 troll got me good.

Just know that there's plenty of people who read who are just like me: shutin, faggot, has no sense of fashion or style, hasn't had an emotional or romantic experience in their life, listens to shitty meme music, etc.

Look at this fuckin poser

This site doesn't ruin people, it attracts people who were born 'ruined'.

You can't be born ruined

sounds comfy

Some people enjoy thinhs. I'm sorry you can't

Wait, I'm genuinely confused on how any of these things are oppressive. Do you even know what oppression means?

Just stop caring what others think. Read Less than Zero, do coke and benzos and opiates and disconnect

>people who read,
comfy
>sweaters,
also comfy
>hot beverages in mugs,
comfy b/c you don't need to be as careful and can read longer
>coffee shops,
very few are comfy
>emotional experiences,
do you even sublime?
>romance,
well nuh, see sublime
>outsider status,
le byronfaec again
>autumn,
not so comfy, implies weather
>contemporary folk music,
what was wrong with old folk?
>and all that shit that's so goddamn oppressive.
only coffee shops and weather are really oppressive from that list.

>How can I divorce my thoughts from this stupid feminine paradigm?
by getting comfy

No one cares about you

You're like a nigger complaining about chicken

lowkey good taste

>Cafe culture is Veeky Forums as fuck. Gets you out of the house, you meet your friends there and discuss your writing or reading, shit's cash.

This is just socializing, nothing to do with literature.

You can meet anywhere and talk about anything

Shows what you know loser.

my god, the replies in this thread are pure reddit

nothing makes it clearer that books are, to most of this crappy board, just a commodity that makes up part of the image they want to adopt for themselves in the pursuit of trendiness

>sweaters
can't afford
>hot beverages
can't afford
>mugs
can't afford
>coffee shops
can't afford
>emotional experiences
numb
>romance
no
>outsider status
what did he mean by this?
>autumn
gay
>contemporary folk music
gay

>hey dad can you take this picture for me so I can post it to tumblr

subvert it pussy. tarry with the negative.

Jesus you sound like a teenager fussing over your appearance. Who even gives a fuck? Do whatever you want.

Took you this long to figure it out? Veeky Forums has been a reddit colony for years.

i shit myself in a cafe once so now i dont care what i wear anywhere

underrated

Consider my view, that an environment akin to a prison is the one most conducive to a good, meaningful, and transcendent reading experience.

It also seems to me that you are expressing a yearning to break out of something, which you can't quite articulate.

I have some good news for you. You refer to materialism and commodity fetishism, which is something writers going back to Plato have written about, as well as Jesus Christ (who said it is easier for a camel to pass a needle's eye than to enter the kingdom of heaven.)

Reject the material, which is composite, imperfect, variable, and corrupt; embrace that which is soulful, constant, pure, good.

It's a kind of marketing stereotype used to trap teenage girls and other impressionable knobs who want to buy into and project the image of a deep, worldly intellectual.

The person I know who loves books the most is a hygiene-less shut-in hoarder who you'd think was a junkie if not for the stacks and stacks of books in his room. When he's reading he doesn't care where he is or who sees him doing it. I only met him because he made derisive eye contact with me outside Costa as my eyes roamed wistfully from the first page of Infinite Jest that I had been pretend reading for several minutes while the steam from my pumpkin latte lamented its loneliness in the air, like a folk-singer's love song in the fall.

you're looking for some ideologically-free zone, but it's not possible or desirable. Encult ration is a good thing.

How poor are you? A coffee is like $2. If you go to a fancy place in a major city and get an espresso drink and a pastry it might be $11. That's the cheapest pleasant experience.

>I don't look like I should be at that poetry night at the theatre pub, but I am

It takes strength to stand out, but also realise the likelihood that nobody is paying more attention to you than you are. Integrity is hard to come by; scenesters are a dime a dozen. Go to what you enjoy and makes you happy.

fuck off tumblr boi

It's true that people can be shallow when they make comfy reading posts on facebook or some shit like that. But at the same time, I think there can be something sensual about the act of reading. I find that if I take care of my physical needs and my body is relaxed, which naturally tends to happen to me when I'm reading, I'm more receptive and open to new feelings and ideas which makes reading easier.