Name 1 discovery in physics made after 1945 that has affected the lives of ordinary people

Name 1 discovery in physics made after 1945 that has affected the lives of ordinary people.

Most of them.

I am going to take your bait question literally and name exactly one such invention
>the laser

Name another one.

chaos in dynamical systems, for its influence on weather forecast

btfo

String theory.

QM advancement in electronics

Literally everything ever
>what are phones?
>how computers do?
>microwaves
>planes
>cars
>INTERNET????

ITT:

The only thing physicists have discovered in the last 70 years that is remotely useful: Physicists taking credit for mathematics: Shitposting: Physicists taking credit for engineering:

>any of that
>"""discovered""" by physicists after 1945
See Tell me how much technology has come out of the large hard-on collider.

here is another 1 discovery in physics that has affected the lives of ordinary people.
From November 17, 1947 to December 23, 1947, John Bardeen and Walter Brattain at AT&T's Bell Labs in the United States performed experiments and observed that when two gold point contacts were applied to a crystal of germanium, a signal was produced with the output power greater than the input.[11] Solid State Physics Group leader William Shockley saw the potential in this, and over the next few months worked to greatly expand the knowledge of semiconductors. The term transistor was coined by John R. Pierce as a contraction of the term transresistance

A transistor is a semiconductor device used to amplify or switch electronic signals and electrical power. It is composed of semiconductor material usually with at least three terminals for connection to an external circuit. A voltage or current applied to one pair of the transistor's terminals changes the current through another pair of terminals. Because the controlled (output) power can be higher than the controlling (input) power, a transistor can amplify a signal. Today, some transistors are packaged individually, but many more are found embedded in integrated circuits.

The transistor is the fundamental building block of modern electronic devices, and is ubiquitous in modern electronic systems. First conceived by Julius Lilienfeld in 1926[1] and practically implemented in 1947 by American physicists John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley, the transistor revolutionized the field of electronics, and paved the way for smaller and cheaper radios, calculators, and computers, among other things. The transistor is on the list of IEEE milestones in electronics,[2] and Bardeen, Brattain, and Shockley shared the 1956 Nobel Prize in Physics for their achievement.[3]

That's two then:

>Lasers
>Transistors

>The transistor is the fundamental building block of modern electronic devices, and is ubiquitous in modern electronic systems.

yeah no big deal bro modern electronics so what

The electron scan microscope

You seem to have a very low IQ because you are unable to understand the task:
>Name 1 discovery in physics made after 1945 that has affected the lives of ordinary people.
Neither the computer nor the airplane are discoveries. I'll list two older discoveries:

>Classical mechanics
Nothing much needs to be said here

>Relativity
Makes satellites possible

Nothing of worth has been discovered by physicists after 1945 even though billions and billions of dollars have been thrown at it.

With the exceptions of lasers and the workings behind the transistor.

>implying the lives of ordinary people matter

>hey look because of this discovery we can all the electronics we could before a thousand times more efficiently and reliably and in much smaller sizes and with less electriicty needed thus allowing us to develop far , far more advanced electronic technology.

"s-s-s-so what?!! It's still only one little discovery! so what if it has effects the lives of almost every single human being on planet earth every day?! Y-y-y-you're low IQ "

How retarded are you exactly? I've already said that the transistor is indeed a correct answer.

If you can count to two then you'll see that we're still at two discoveries in 70 years:

>Laser
>Transistor

The technology that has existed for only a few decades and requires immense research and time to conduct its experiments? I wouldn't know, since I mainly study astronomy, but if I had to guess as we get more insight into how subatomic particles function we can learn how the universe was formed and how atoms interact with each other, not to mention the formation of new elements, which after enough time can introduce new nuclear energies and allow us to use better materials in products.

Superconductors could also be put on the list as they see widespread industrial and medical uses. There is also the physics of how LCDs work which saw major advances in the 60's and 70's with modern displays that have become ubiquitous not really having their physics or engineering worked out until the 90's.

>Physicists taking credit for engineering:
The design and motivation for making transistors was very heavily led by theory, making it rather solidly in the "physics" category.

Cosmic rays and soft errors

It's quality, not quantity.

OP is just mad he failed his phys 101 exam.

I'm not a lowly physicist.

OP is just mad that he failed his Medieval Lit Exam.

graphene :^)

>"Name one"
>Gets done
>"Um... name two!"
>Gets done
>"Uh... see? Like I always said, it's at most two!"
>"(...please stop naming more...)"

Two it is.

> computers
> transistors
> CFD
> FEA
> lasers
> modern plastics

You forgot:
>the iPhone 7

magnetic resonance imaging you plebs

blue LED

The Nobel Prize in Physics 1972
John Bardeen, Leon Neil Cooper and John Robert Schrieffer
"for their jointly developed theory of superconductivity, usually called the BCS-theory"

powerful superconducting electromagnets are used in maglev trains, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) machines,

The Nobel Prize in Physics 1986
Ernst Ruska
"for his fundamental work in electron optics, and for the design of the first electron microscope"

Electron microscopes are fundamental to cellular biology and have been used to study and identify all the organelles of the cell . Our medical knowledge would be nowhere near as advanced if we were still only able to view biological samples at the resolution provided by visible light.

Researchers can use it to examine biological materials (such as microorganisms and cells), a variety of large molecules, medical biopsy samples, metals and crystalline structures, and the characteristics of various surfaces. Nowadays, electron microscopes have many other uses outside research. They can be used as part of a production line, such as in the fabrication of silicon chips, or within forensics laboratories for looking at samples such as gunshot residues. In the arena of fault diagnosis and quality control, they can be used to look for stress lines in engine parts or simply to check the ratio of air to solids in ice cream!

Electron microscopy (EM) is a technique for obtaining high resolution images of biological and non-biological specimens. It is used in biomedical research to investigate the detailed structure of tissues, cells, organelles and macromolecular complexes. The high resolution of EM images results from the use of electrons (which have very short wavelengths) as the source of illuminating radiation. Electron microscopy is used in conjunction with a variety of ancillary techniques (e.g. thin sectioning, immuno-labeling, negative staining) to answer specific questions. EM images provide key information on the structural basis of cell function and of cell disease.

Liquid crystal display
>LCD
>Ever been to a baseball game?
>Ever had a flat screen TV?
>Ever had a computer?
Then you have seen an LCD screen

>That is 3 discoveries already, user
>Go back to your English major

tampon

derp

Blue LED's

Giant magneto-resistance.

It's completely undeniable that the development of the transistor is part of physics. It was the work of physicists, who were awarded the Nobel prize for their work.

Name one black man that had any serious impact on physics.

Application of microwaves, specifically in your kitchen.
If you're 20, it's basically your parents' equivalent of the HOLY SHIT THAT'S AMAZING to the first iPhone.

-nuclear power production
-lasers
-microwaves
-MRI scanners
-x-ray scanners
-transistors
-radiotherapy
-more efficient power production
-more efficient engines
-solar power
-graphene
I know there is more but this is my list for now.

forgot about all the new ways we can send data to eachother