/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Indistinguishable from Magic edition

What's your favorite example of hyper-advanced, almost godlike technology in SFF?

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/nV9iPMNS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sanderson is GOAT

Are people who like Sanderson retarded?

>Ligotti will never write an epic high fantasy horror series

I have recently found interest in reading again, and read through the entire broken empire trilogy....What does Veeky Forums recommend next?

>there will never be good high fantasy horror

What did you enjoy about it?

>protagonist kills himself and lets the dark lord win 10 pages in because life is shit anyway, why even bother, who cares, whatever, might as well

fund it

For the most part, the main character's personality.
I have no idea if a lot of fantasy books have protagonist like him, but tv shows definitely dont, which was the allure of the book

Malazan

Not too many quality unabashed edge lords.

You could try First Law

Night Angel Trilogy

So you want GRI approved books?
Warded man, Red Rising, maybe black sun rising.

> quality unabashed edge lords
What do you mean?

>GRI
have no idea what that is. I just want recommendations.... Anything is fine, since I'll research it before purchasing

I mean that Broken Empire mc is an insufferable edgelord

The call Jorge "edgy" because he is some what nihilistic. What these pseudo intellectuals don't understand, is not everyone is the same, nor do they see the world in the same light.

I'm pessimistic, I'm sure these desktop therapist will say I'm edgy because I see bad in the world.

Yes he is.... but it's interesting to get a refreshing perspective, after dealing with the same type of protagonist

anyone knows how his next trilogy stacks up to his first?

>book I of III in the overwrought fantasy name cycle

Nope.

>Anything is fine
Have a gander at my chart user

I still think this one needs an urban fantasy subgroup, it would help cut down on that huge fantasy bloc.

Has everyone noticed that the fantasy fans are consistently the people that glut up these threads and drag them into the quality gutter?

Not really, it's just been a month or so of Great Ordeal hypesters and that one guy who goes out of his way to find Rothfuss quotes he can get angry about.

Maybe when my autism is firing at max I will be able to do my subgroups. I.e: urban fantasy, military, gri, swords, grimdark, adventure, biopunk, cyberpunk, non humans, aliens, post apocalyptic, futuristic, etc etc.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon (it's what I first set out to do with pic related, but when I saw the time it took to get to where I was, I just couldn't go through.) I understand why no one really wants to make a list.

I read both fantasy and scifi... so no, I don't notice.

That Kevin Hearne series has become unreadable

Yep, one more failed Dresden clone.

It's pretty good. It parallels the events of the first trilogy following a different character's perspective. Jallan is a lot funnier than Jorg as a narrator, somewhat unreliable, but his banter with Snorri is great. It's more of a "road trip" type story than Jorg's which was about revenge and conquest. Jalan bumps into Jorg a few times in his travels and ends up exploring a lot of the mysteries of the setting, you definitely are expected to have read the Broken Empire first.

What's "overwrought" about Red Queen's War? Is three words arranged in a descriptive phrase too much for you?

Yeah, his quality dropped over the years. It was great at first.
Would still remember the first few books, I enjoyed when he binded shit together to make poison and other stuff... sad that he doesn't do those shit anymore.

I want to read malazan but I want a series with a consistent protagonist

The /lit cliche is to start with the Greeks. In reading and appreciating sci-fi, it looks like we should start with the fifties.

Day Of The Triffids - John Wyndham
The Body Snatchers - Jack Finney
Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
The City And The Stars - Arthur C Clarke
Theodor Sturgeon - More Than Human

Do preceding decades have a glut of work, of similar quality, (imaginative, literary, entertainment) which is still palatable for the modern reader?

And are there 'minor' 1950s sci fi novels which are great, but have fallen into obscurity, and now deservie wider readership?

recommend military scifi that focuses on the details of warfare and the art of annihilating your enemy through strategy and resourcefulness

Lost Fleet

non human enemies please

The Eyes of the Overworld

Why did you guys lie to me?
>First book of malazan is the worst
>It gets better

It's the exact opposite, it starts going downhill right after the first book, with the first one being the best

>not liking chain of dogs

Disgusting

Tail end of the first series, and most of the second series, has battles with aliens in it.

Also there's the Dread Empire's Fall series which has humans and some alien allies in a civil war vs other aliens after the founding race of a space empire dies off.

The Spiral Wars series has the crew of a human ship mutiny and go renegade after a conspiracy kills their captain, aliens and AI berserkers are some of their foes.

Are you trying to trigger the dino user? You people shitposting?

For scifi and fantasy you should start with religion texts, The Bible, Qu'ran etc

*tips fedora*

Star Maker, Last and First Men. These two novels have enough ideas to power hundreds of lesser novels.

>you can't ever discuss books older than 2000 because it triggers one autist with shit taste

Have we fallen so low?

Don't forget about Doc EE Smith. Lensman has some amazing similarities to Star Wars for example.

I'm not against old books for fucks sake. I'm just against people who read ONLY old books, and then turn their nose up and call us out for reading anything new.

tl;dr dinosaurs are e/lit/ist scum

Dino user you are my favorite shitposter

My coworker told me to check out "the primordial blade" I believe, but didn't tell me an author
Anybody read it? Any good or does he have shit taste

>Brent weeks
But why?

Most books are old.
Not reading new fiction is incredibly easy.
You have an awful taste.

I've been absent from Veeky Forums for a good while. Does REI still post here

He has shit taste.

There are no people like that in this general, everyone is willing to give new stuff a chance and you call them dinosaurs when they don't like Rothfuss or Sanderson. You're tilting against windmills.

Sabriel and HDM. Oh user you know what the fuck is up. I will never forget being introduced to multiverse theory through strange cutlery as a wee lad.

I kek'd.

he won't get the reference-- you're in genre general. maybe make a vidya reference or something

Shallan getting darkeyed when

... I don't like Rothfuss, he burnt me, I will still read book 3 if it ever comes out but I don't recommend him him.

Sanderson is hit and miss, his writing reads like ya sometimes, why would I hate on someone for that?

The real original dinosaur blatantly said and I'm paraphrasing here "new books a shit, old books for life, you have shit tastes for not reading old books".

Go to the first sffg and read forward, you will see when the dinosaur first entered in the picture, and you will see how he started shitposting.

Don Quixote isn't exactly a obscure reference

Jasnah getting darkeyed when

Syl getting darkeyed when

Navani getting darkeyed when

The Nightwatcher getting darkeyed when

He doesn't seem to be here anymore tho, which makes what you're doing useless at best and shit posting at worst.

Shalash getting darkeyed when

Khriss getting darkeyed when

Marasi getting darkeyed when

Vin getting darkeyed when

Vivienne getting darkeyed when

This is advanced autism

Siri getting darkeyed when

It is if you are a philistine.

Sarene getting darkeyed when

>darkeyed

what?

I'm guessing user is using it like /tv/ uses "blacked". Like, when will that female character have sex with a darkeyed man.

Shai getting darkeyed when

Ranette getting darkeyed when

Toc getting wolfed when

Lessie getting darkeyed when

Paran getting hounded when

Melaan getting darkeyed when

Egwene getting spanked when

Little girl getting protagonisted when

This is advanced memeing

I read 8 Malazan books and looking back I can't understand their appeal at all.

I was pretty clear, but you didn't comprehend, old books are filtered while new ones aren't. Chances of a new fantasy novel being shit are extremely high, chances of an old work in general being good are likewise much higher.

I don't know, I personally like boring historical texts, so malazan fit me

It has lots and lots of names which gives autists and reddit-types the impression that the series is a complex and masterfully woven tapestry, when in reality it is a mile wide and an inch deep. Also has parts where Erikson spouts his opinions on war, capitalism, religion or whatever which gives another illusion of depth.

I bet he never went to war or had any military experience.

Bad tastes

Probably not, he sounds like your average sheltered weedy leftist. Did you know that the black gooey drug in the eighth book was symbolism for our society's "addiction to oil"?

First for Ring of Light quintet.
Hyper advanced, almost godlike and mystical world

Link to the full story.
pastebin.com/raw/nV9iPMNS

>First
It's garbage.

>list

stopped reading there

I didn't read beyond the first, it was pretty awful, saw little reason to go further.
Also, did no one tell him his oil parallel was retarded in the editing process?

It's better than a lot of the popular stuff posted and shilled here on the reg. Read it, it's a short story.

Reading wheel of time I am surprised at how much stuff GRRM lifted from it. The "game of houses", the white cloaks, honor only getting people killed, characters who seemed to be going somewhere suddenly dying, "realistic" depiction of war (armies can starve, soldiers can easily become as bad as bandits with rape plunder etc)

All in all i think whoever described WoT as this pure fantasy only ever read the first book, it reads much more like proto-asoiaf to me.

ASOIAF was before WoT.