Ok Veeky Forums...

Ok Veeky Forums, what is the first book you personally would recommend a person should read trying to get into philosophy.

the bible. you can engage with philosophy but you must not take it at any value other than satan's trick. it will not save you

can you actually talk like a person or is fedora your only speed

god gave us his word! hallelujah

only speed then? fair enough.

Pluto

Being and Time

I'll translate this out of foreign.

The Bible is the most important book of philosophy ever written. Other books of philosophy will translate/redefine the bible into modern terms and modern themes but the bible is the only Litmus test of truth in this age or any other age. One must be honest and look at the bible as the highest authority, otherwise they are deluding themselves.

The Greeks got everything from the Egyptians. Start with the Egyptians.

Life of Pi? It's a pretty good entry-level fiction and has some clever ideas in the end about the existence of God
It'd be a good segue into actual discussions on God's existence and, in a way, philosophy as a whole

Dostoevsky

Read 'beyond good and evil'.

>Life of Pi?

No

>It's a pretty good entry-level fiction

No it's not

>and has some clever ideas in the end about the existence of God

No it doesn't

>It'd be a good segue into actual discussions on God's existence and, in a way, philosophy as a whole

No it wouldn't

You failed on every level. Go to bed, Yann

But.. But.. He goes to Hindu, Muslim AND Christian Church. Doesn't that really make you question your current belief system?

Dialogues of Plato

Whatever version you can find, it'll probably have the popular ones in there. There is no reason to start anywhere else. It is the beginning of Western philosophy proper and it is shit easy to read relative to the rest. It also reads like fiction in many parts.

Read in this order:

Presocratics
Plato
Xenophon
Aristotle
Plotinus
Proclus
Augustine
Aquinas
Ockham
Scotus
Ficino
Descartes
Spinoza
Hume
Berkeley
Kant
Schelling
Hegel
Schopenhauer
Nietzsche
Stirner
Heidegger
Sloterdjik

Thank You, this is a good answer aside from the fact it doesn't mention Kierkegaard, Dostoevsky, Camus or Wittgenstein.

Sophie's World

Bertrand Russell's a history of western philosophy

Pic related. Supplement with the Meno, go on to the Republic. Then the first two sections of Hobbes's Leviathan, then the entirety of Beyond Good and Evil.

Was a year long class my freshman year of college, it's what got me into philosophy.

Forgot pic because philosophy doesn't teach basic life skills.

This would take a lifetime. Read Plato, a summary of Kant, then Schoppy and Nietzsche and call it a day.

Will Durant - Story of Philosophy
Decent survey book. Read and then jump in with whoever seems interesting to you.

>hegel without fichte
pls b ruse

it depends on what the person wants from philosophy

Librevox audiobooks on YouTube.

Easy way to 'read' all the great works.

But also take a look at 'The philisophy of language', it great!

>reading fatso slotter dick

I'm no expert, but I advice reading Platos republic. It's a surprisingly easy read.

I tried Montaigne, but I just couldn't do it. Got halfway through his essays before giving up. What a longwinded asshole. Or maybe I'm too stupid for it.

The Story of Philosophy - Magee

Then get the jist of Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Hume, Kant

Then you're free

Listen to these two and read contextual books before jumping into the philosophers so you better understand whatever you're reading

You have to start with Plato.

read

Read pic related, OP

Attached is when I found out "Holy Shit, THIS is what philosophy is?? MOAR"

and then continue along typical recs and whatnot

Supplemented with

The important thing isn't where you start, but that you start. You're gonna have to re-read everything anyway. Just dive in, take whatever comes natural to you, and then move on to whatever tickles your interest. Put the book down if it doesn't work out for you, and pick up another.

Read Descartes and ignore all of these other fags.

Descartes made modern philosophy.

Get it?

He laid the foundation.

Pic related, ass.

No Locke or Leibniz. No Kierkegaard. Reading Heidegger without having read Husserl??

No Frege, no Wittgenstein. No Poststructuralists.

Heidegger and Foucault would slap you for that.

Not Wittgenstein.

A thousand times this.

You'll save so much time and effort if, following Kant, you opt in favour of his true heir and leave Hegel and his ideological spawn to their endless sophistry.

The only trouble is that Nietzsche hasn't really had a successor. Post-Modernism/Structuralism is sophistry, and whilst some argue that Freud is the 'heir' to Nietzsche, I don't quite buy that as psychoanalysis was around in Nietzsche's time and prior. I wouldn't mix up philosophy and psychoanalysis.

>Heidegger and gay AIDS man would slap you for that.

yeah i bet he would

The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant

>This would take a lifetime.
For you.
>Read Plato, a summary of Kant, then Schoppy and Nietzsche and call it a day.
It's quicker to just read Wittgenstein and realize that philosophy is bullshit.

The Phenomenology of Mind by Hegel.

If you want something to ease yourself in, then the first thing I'd ever read was Beyond Good and Evil, followed by Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I'd recommend them because Nietzsche is generally much easier to read than Hegel/ Kant etc., and probably easier than Plato/Aristotle too; although they aren't particularly difficult either.

They also both provide a number of practical insights too, if that is something that appeals to you.

Wittgenstein failed

Keep telling yourself that.

Well, Wittgenstein's original 'philosophy' failed -i.e. the Tractatus; although it is still certainly crucial reading in terms of modern analytic philosophy. (in that among other problems, his whole argument was self-defeating; which he himself came to recognize later).

One could make an argument that his later work, collated in philosophical investigations, had not failed; but ultimately it wasn't fully complete either.

Birth of Tragedy

Do what any good intro class would do and get a textbook. Seriously. Reason and Responsibility comes to mind. That way you can look at how philosophy generally works/the dialectic/ and what not. The text I mention is specifically good because it groups discourses my theme. So you wanna read about God? We got beefy articles from Anselm defending his Lord and Savior, and we have folks like Blackburn tearing the shit down, and so on and so on. Wanna read about Ethics? We got a nice section from Hobbes, a section from Nietzsche, and a section from Aristotle? Interested in knowledge. Well here's Descartes, Hume, etc. etc. This way you kinda get a feel for the lay of the land before you jump in whole. Another good texts that hones in on the problems specifically is Russell's Problems of Philosophy. Or, if you wanna be a badass bitch, go with Death of Socrates so you can simultaneously statt with the Greeks and get a general ethos to keep you going. But my overall advice: once you get a good feel for what we deal with in PHI, read shit chronologically. Fall for the Greeks meme: start with the Pre-Socratics, go to Plato, then Aristotle, etc. so by the time you get to someone lile Kant you can at least have some semblance of what the fuck he's talkimg about.

Ha!

damn. w2c jacket?

I don't mean this to sound snarky but just from that post I imagine you haven't read more than 5-10 philosophy books, you probably like camus don't you?

Wait. I thought the point of Tractatus was that it is self-defeating.

for you

The Passion of the Western Mind by Richard Tarnas is a nice one-volume history. Very accessible.

my diary desu

Thanks! This is pretty helpful, user

Hume's Enquiry obviously

The Ego and Its Own.

Not only the first you have to read, but also the only one.

He added that at the last minute because his psyche wasn't strong enough to pull a Frege.

Not him but im curious what the problem with camus is? Some other banter in this thread seems to confirm the fact that hes somewhat of a meme to Veeky Forums.

>tfw you actually believed that meme
>tfw you couldn't make it through the introduction without wanting to vomit

Also OP don't start with Nietzsche unless you want to be doomed to be a shitty edgelord your whole life.