Ok Veeky Forums I unironically followed the stickies instructions started with the Greeks. Now what? What do I read now?

Ok Veeky Forums I unironically followed the stickies instructions started with the Greeks. Now what? What do I read now?

Well, if you have only read the Greeks from that chart then you aren't even finished with the Greeks yet my friend.

You need Euripides, Aeschylus, and then Aristophanes.

Resume with the romans, then advance to the arabs, move on to the medieval and relate with the renaissance and reformation, before entreating with the enlightenment. from there you can do what you like phamme

Is there a guide for the Romans? Also should I touch on any eastern literature in this process (Chinese, Indians, Japanese)? Or should I keep my mind pure with only literature of the west (in which case I'll avoid the Arabs).

Ignore the Arabs m8. They essentially just distill the Greeks.

You can touch any Chinese literature in the process. Eastern philosophies influenced each other but not in the same way Western authors did. There are a great number of shared ideas that you'll find in Taoist, Confucian, and Buddhist texts, many that are exclusive to each, and different periods in each: e.g., Confucianism was influenced by Taoism and Buddhism, but then Neo-Confucianism rejected some of these influences. You can start anywhere but it might help if you start with the beginning. The Art of War might be a good introduction since it helps you get accustomed to their style of writing, then proceed with The Book of Tao, then The Confucian Analects. I don't know much about Buddhism since I care more about Chinese philosophy, I think any text that has a title such as "Introduction to Buddhism" might work.

oh FUCK

HE ACTUALLY DID IT

WE DIDNT PLAN FOR THIS

Resume with the Romans

Cicero, Lucretius, Virgil, Horace, Livy, Ovid, Plutarch, Tacitus, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca, Polybius, Arrian, Julius Caesar

The Trojan War is a great read btw.

Continental philosophy

Enter with the Egyptians THEN Start with the Greeks you idiot.

The Romans

Tell us what you thought, man!

This, OP you are a real nigga

You have any charts for Chinese/Japanese literature? Havent read any of it at all. Ill check the sticky but it would still be nice to have it in the thread if anyone has some

The Romans are also just a distillation of the Greeks. If youre interested read em but also pick up some Arab stuff, it's interesting to see the different ways Greek philosophy was taken.

I do not have any charts. The Book of Tao is pretty short, translations are pretty straightforward. It is written in short sentences, like these. They can be very cryptic at times. I recommend James Legge's translations. The only other suggestion I can give is that you only try to make sure you know what the text is trying to say, even if you do not grasp the meaning. It might start making more sense as you read more, and as you meditate upon it. You don't need to sit down and close your eyes, just ruminate about what it could mean, while cooking or showering or whatever.

books

Cool, just wrote these recs down. Thanks friend

You are welcome. I again stand by my recommendation that you start with either The Art of War or the Book of Tao. Do not fret much about what translation you pick first, just try to immerse yourself in their different way of thinking and writing.

holy shit thank you. source?

The_Mind_Illuminated_A_Complete_Meditation_Guide_Integrating_Buddhist_Wisdom_and_Brain_Science_-_Yates,_Culadasa_John

its perfect. thanks again. do you have anything else along the same vein?

Maybe for poetry and philosophy, but in terms of politics and empire-building they're definitely something new and worth investigating on their own.

bump