I read game of thrones and then watched season 1 of the show, and I didn't expect it but the show is actually way better

I read game of thrones and then watched season 1 of the show, and I didn't expect it but the show is actually way better
>better pacing
>better character develop
>dosnt stop every 5 minutes to show what a character is eating
Should I even bother with the rest of the books?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/review/show/1459299
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Try the audiobooks; the voice actor does a really good job. I think the books are better, especially as it goes on.

Oh dear lord.....really? That aside, you would find, if you continue to read the books and watch the show, that Book 1 and Season 1 are nearly identical. And then the show continues to grow further and further apart from the books as they both progress. Books are better...show is shit.

The fact is, Martin is not a good writer; don't misunderstand me, the european-medieval setting and the families' stories and History are great, but he just can't write it down properly.
The show, as long as follows the books, takes every great aspect of the setting and story without the crap of the writing style of Martin

I've always said, as a world that you can get lost in, the books are amazing. But as a straight up story, the show did a much better job of character building and creating tension through tightly paced and engaging plotlines.

season 1 is better than book 1
the books are better from that point on, but the show is still somewhat worth watching

I hate that little fucking cartoon faggot with his shitty little disabled right eye and that stupid fucking haircut

Did they intentionally pick mediocre lines from the other authors.

What are you talking about? It's basically 1:1 adaptation. I'll give you the better pacing, but you're pretty damn up your own ass about everything else.

Lol you didn't even read the book.
He doesn't start with the whole eating something every other page until later.

Season one was actually done really well.

The rest of the series is a clusterfuck though. They had to remove too much material from the books.

I'm reading the series right now, on the 4th book. The clips I've seen of the show irritated me.

Tyrion seems like an annoying douche, Sansa is like 10 years older than she should be. Everyone's like 10 years older than they should be. Catelyn's like 50 when she's only like 30 in the book. Lysa is like 70, even though she's younger than Catelyn. Everyone has really annoying accents, I don't know.

I'm not a snob or anything, I know this is just plot nonsense for pure entertainment. The show just seems odd when watching it along side the books. I prefer the way these characters look and talk inside my head rather than what HBO does.

>less decide the quality of writing by few lines I picked out to support my point

Besides, many of the GRRRRRRM shit lines are still rememberable and create a picture.

Obviously he is a mediocre writer but gotta try harder to prove the point, user.

The show really isn't that bad.

Try get into it, it may surprise you. I enjoy the world in both the book and the show but I enjoy them as seperate entities.

Yeah, besides the age of characters, one problem I have with the show is the way commoners and noblemen interact.

The way the commonfolk speak and act around noblemen in the show is completely ridiculous; I can't help but think that, IRL and in the books, they'd be beheaded in half a second if they acted that way.

Especially the whole "Arya serving Tywin" plotline. For the sake of "look at these two interact!" we get Arya, posing as a common serving girl, mouthing off to one of the most ruthless lords in the land.

>Lies about where she's from
>Doesn't lose her tongue
>Turns out she's from the north
>Doesn't lose her head
>Makes not-so-subtle threats
>Doesn't lose her tongue then her virginity then her head

Among other things...

Les Rois Maudits.
Fat Bastard stole from Maurice Druon.

I've only read the iron king. want to read the rest.

Funny thing is that this is one of the things Martin criticizes in modern fantasy shows (and books). The unrealistic portrail of medieval societies, what he calls "disneyland fantasy".

This is bad bait.

He knew she was highborn, and was amused, feeling she posed no threat. Whenever she overstepped he was quick to remind her of her position. He was also acertaining if she could be of use.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>european-medieval
>sexy orgy twerking weddings

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HE IS SHIT
THE BOOK IS SHIT
THE SHOW IS SHIT

ANYONE WHO LIKES THIS SHOW IS A BASIC BITCH BETA FOLLOWING THE CROWDS WHERE EVER THEY GO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA

Delete this right now!

NOW

Why do people quote that Lolita line as though it's good? It's the most sappy cringeworthy garbage I've ever read.

Boy youre really going to enjoy the show from season 4 onwards if you continue..

"They rode in silence through sparse woodland where the trees leaned drunkenly away from the sea. The nervous whinny of horses and the clank of steel guided them back to Renly's camp. The long ranks of man and horse were armored in darkness, as black as if the Smith had hammered night itself into steel. There were banners to her right, banners to her left, and rank on rank of banners before her, but in the predawn gloom, neither colors nor sigils could be discerned. A grey army, Catelyn thought. Grey men on grey horses beneath grey banners. As they sat their horses waiting, Renly's shadow knights pointed their lances upward, so she rode through a forest of tall naked trees, bereft of leaves and life. Where Storm's End stood was only a deeper darkness, a wall of black through which no stars could shine, but she could see torches moving across the fields where Lord Stannis had made him camp.
The candles within Renly's pavilion made the shimmering silken walls seem to glow, transforming the great tent into a magical castle alive with emerald light. Two of the Rainbow Guard stood sentry at the door to the royal pavilion. The green light shone strangely against the purple plums of Ser Parmen's surcoat, and gave a sickly hue to the sunflowers that covered every inch of Ser Emmon's enameled yellow plate. Long silken plumes flew from their helms, and a rainbow cloaks draped their shoulders."

This passage beautifully evokes the struggle between warrior's perceptions of war and the harsh reality of war. The language of "nervous" horses along with the harsh clang of steel are intended to jar the reader, who has just read a passage where Catelyn prays in the sept and has a religious experience where the Gods and humanity become one and weigh down on her. The faceless grey men and their banners remind her of the harsh realities of war, as well as its faceless, never-ending nature. This sequence represents her height as a character, where she has revelations that lead her to suggest brilliant solutions to the conflict that are thwarted by Baratheon pride. Her failure here starts her descent into madness.
This experience is opposed to those of the warriors. Each buy into their fantasies about war, Stannis' men into the fiction of the Lord of Light (represented by the torches), which is a stand in for every moral crusade that has ever led men to kill for a simplistic vision of "good" versus "evil". Renly's men place their faith in their king instead of God. Renly represents worldly plenty and prosperity. The colors of the rainbow guard and the brilliance of his pavilion, the emerald castle, are the excesses of the "knights of summer", as Catelyn calls them. These men who have never known anything but happiness have no idea what they are getting themselves into. They are the polar opposite of Stannis's paranoia, and the primal paranoia of his soldiers who see all who are not them as evil. And yet despite polar views and values, they are blind.

It's meant to make you grimace. The cringe characterises the narrator.

See here's the thing with GRRM that bugs me. He's not a horrible writer, he's just not great. He's often compared to Tolkien which bugs the shit out of me.

Prime example: The Throne of Gondor vs the Iron Throne. One is a simple throne consisting of two chairs, one raised up on a high dais, the second a simple chair at the foot of the dais. The other is a a metal throne forged from the swords of a past king's enemies and is full of sharp edges

From that description alone, you'd think the second is more important, or cooler, or whatever, but it's not. The Throne of Gondor explains so much that's been alluded to and reveals so much about the way Boromir acted, the way Denethor behaves, the history of Gondor, the title "Return of the King", and just the fascinating position that the Stewards of Gondor were put in. The Iron Throne adds nothing to the story besides having a slightly interesting origin story. "It pricks those who are unworthy", that adds literally nothing to anything and doesn't deepen the story at all. The entire story would be no different at all had the throne been made of gold than of iron swords.

But i started watching the show as soon as it aired when is wasn't popular

>watching the show as soon as it aired
>watching the show ever

:^)

What;s funny is in the book, Arya serves Roose Bolton, not Tywin, and when she asks Roose a question he basically responds as you'd realistically expect.

I agree but there is more to the Iron Throne: its being made out of the swords of surrendering enemies represents the submission of Westeros (literally via dragonflame) as well as the forging of one realm from disparate combatants, and it's a chair whose physical discomfort is supposed to mirror the discomfort a king should always feel in his position.

Picked up the series on audible to listen to while doing housework, travel etc. I heard the Roy Dotrice audiobooks go from amazing to bad after the third book.

I'm like 3/4 through CoK, since aGoT was so close to the plot in season 1 I found it moderately boring at times, but CoK's been great for the most part, and the voicework is on point, which is what worries me about the later books, where he apparently changed all the voices, and people seem to universally agree they're far worse.

>the show is actually way better
Kill yourself.

The show is so fucking watered down with a ton of shit changed and out of sequence that it isn't even funny.

Id hardly say he's mediocre. He's definitely above average as far as writers go.

His writing style varies though, shifting the tone from light hearted comedy, into drama into action into dark comedy etc.

Probably the most entertaining series I've read, even if the writing quality isn't always that of Dickens.

What I really dislike about GRRRM is his sudden jumps in time that are just out of place and their only purpose is to confuse the reader.

>two characters talking, one has some inner thoughts
>next sentence is a conversation from a couple of years ago with little importance or meaning as to why would it appear now
>back to some other events that happened in unspecified time and are not connected to the previous two
>back to the first dialogue
>third shift in time about something irrelevant again

And it's not just exposition about the world.

This.

Both the books and the show deteriorate in quality after the third book/season.

As far as which medium is better I'd say the books. There's better world building but you do have to suffer through pages of food/clothing descriptions

this is true.

also, GRRM's description of food made me go Veeky Forums without me actually trying. stopped eating for a month. just thinking about makes me gag.

honestly. i don't like.

the prose is bad, the plot lines entirelly stollen from history, and there's no morality tale behind it.

goodreads.com/review/show/1459299

>This passage beautifully evokes the struggle between warrior's perceptions of war and the harsh reality of war.

no. if you want that perception vs. reality of war, there are much better books, starting at the Illiad and spanning all the way to Tolstoi's war and peace. also:

>long ranks of man and horse were armored in darkness, as black as if the Smith had hammered night itself into steel.
really?