Sending particles through a double-slit apparatus one at a time results in single particles appearing on the screen...

>Sending particles through a double-slit apparatus one at a time results in single particles appearing on the screen, as expected.

>However, an interference pattern emerges when these particles are allowed to build up one by one

>This proves wave-particle duality.

Please send help I don't understand.
All the experiment says to me is that the slits alter the particle's position in a wave like manner.

How can we tell the difference between particles interfering like waves do and particles being positioned by a wave like force?

Other urls found in this thread:

feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_01.html
youtube.com/watch?v=eLQ2atfqk2c&list=PL8590A6E18255B3F4
rhythmodynamics.com/Gabriel_LaFreniere/sa_spherical.htm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

>positioned by a wave like force?
Explain yourself. Are you saying that something makes the electrons go through some complicated paths to form the interference pattern?

I think that's what he meant. Seems reasonable to me too (not a physicist ofc). Maybe it's just some wave-like force exerted by slits that makes this wave-like pattern.

Well then it's upon you to describe those forces and explain their mechanisms, etc. But what we have found is that a simple wave description of the particle elegantly explains the interference pattern, and is also successful in describing many other phenomena.

the 'wave' is just fucking probability of strikes. you'd get the same effect rolling bowling balls through two doors. theoretical scientists are just fucking idiots is all.

Are you retarded? Bowling balls don't produce a visible interference pattern.

do other forms of matter produce wave like distributions in the same experiment?

Yes, everything produces an interference pattern, but the pattern is visible only in the case of small particles (large wavelengths).

bumpello

Why are you bumping? read: Also read Feynman's introduction to QM before posting these threads:

feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_01.html

Imagine the bowling balls are made of discrete shells which can be disintegrated on collision. Also imagine the experiment is performed in a zero g environment. If the outermost shell of a ball hits the left edge of the slit, then the ball will turn to the left. If the ball passes closer to the edge and two shells are destroyed, the ball will turn further to the left.

If electrons are spherical standing waves, you would expect them to weaken ("lose their shells") during interactions, and regain strength from background radiation. Nothing spooky is necessary.

To my knowledge it has been shown for
>Photons
>Electrons
>Neutrons
>Protons
>Alpha particles
>Complete Helium atoms
>Molecules (largest one being one of those carbon balls)

The larger the size, the more difficult it gets.

Anyway, OP, I'm the guy from the /g/ thread. It's easy to get misunderstand when explaining stuff in few short sentences. I strongly recommend you to watch this lecture series:

youtube.com/watch?v=eLQ2atfqk2c&list=PL8590A6E18255B3F4

It's honestly the best thing you can watch on the internet on that topic. It's not only the current state on the matter, it's also fantastically complete and comprehensive. Just watch the whole thing and really try to follow him. He helped inventing the theory he's talking about and that theory in part is still the state of the art today. So do yourself a favour and watch it. He's basically saying everything is a particle and not a wave, which I see the other way around, but anyway, watch that.

>you would expect them to weaken ("lose their shells") during interactions, and regain strength from background radiation.
What the fuck are you talking about

The spherical standing wave theory of electrons.

You have to stop thinking of an electron (and all particles) as really small ball. Everything acts like a wave at that scale.

All this business about shells breaking has no basis in reality though, you literally just made it up.

>regain strength from background radiation
What

And I'm saying the interference is an illusion, caused by electrons interacting with the four edges of the slits, rather than with each other through some fucking bullshit that requires time travel.

I'm bumping because I think there may be situations when you absolutely have to agree with all that strange things from quantum mechanics (like everything is a wave or like there is some kind of a summation across all the possibilities).

It's amazing how misconceptions often seem to sum up into complete bullshit that's just too tiresome to even attempt to sort out.

It's a metaphor for the peaks of spherical standing waves. Regaining strength is part of the standing wave theory.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Could you explain these "shells" more clearly?

So what does that have to do with particles hitting each other?

That would mean that the interference pattern depends on i.e. the thickness of the double slitted plate and the material of it. That is not the case however. Also, there are interference experiments that don't even need a slit.

If a ball bounces off the edge of the slit why is it more likely to hit some places than others (in the periodic shape of an interference pattern).

Remember that this also happens when you do one electron at a time.

Since a lot of people will use too complex explanations for you to understand, I'll dumb it down to a 5th grader tier

>A predictable pattern emerges after a huge amount of particles go through the slit
>Therefor, that pattern implies that there is a probability template being applied to where the particles get redistributed

>That probability template matches a wave behavior

That's basically it

rhythmodynamics.com/Gabriel_LaFreniere/sa_spherical.htm

The shells drag on the edges of the slits, turning the particle.

The don't hit each other, it's an illusion.

The shells are discrete, they turn the particle by a discrete angle.

>That is not the case however. Also, there are interference experiments that don't even need a slit.
Source?

>Source?
Oh, now the advocate of fantasy physics demands a source?

Anyway, look at the michelson interferometer or interferometry in general. You will find that you have a hard time explaining the behaviour with particles bouncing off things.

>particles bouncing off things.

No, I said spherical standing waves being rotated inwards as they pass the edge of the slit.

>fantasy physics
You're the one who believes in time travel.

>The shells are discrete, they turn the particle by a discrete angle.
What's your justification for this assertion?

So how do you explain weak interaction with your model? Can your theory predict the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron with the enormous precision that QED can? Can your theory explain particle decay? Can your theory actually explain anything at all that keeps physicists busy for the last century? Does your theory explain anything at all that current theories can't explain? If it can't, how could we possibly verify your theory in future experiments?

Time travel is not required by any modern theory by the way. Put your energy into understanding established theories instead of buying into some nutjob's bullshit. Physics in unbelievably small scales usually are quite unbelievable. If that is too much for you to take, then you should just ignore the field of physics from now on completely. Don't waste your time with this.

I started this thread with a couple questions and now I have too many to count.

I can't even reply because evey sentence I type makes me realize how many other things I don't know. I couldn't be happier.

So the fundamental nature of all matter is wave-like? There's so many things I want to say but I'm starting to think I don't really know what a wave is.

Thank you user, I sincerely appreciate all your replies.

Thank you for this link, I will read it.

>So the fundamental nature of all matter is wave-like?
Everything can be described by a wavefunction, but this wavefunction isn't usually a perfect sinusoidal wave. And the wave isn't actually a physical wave, it's a probability wave. Feynman explains all this.

>>That probability template matches a wave behavior
Indeed. But is it that particles are waves or is it just that the some property of the slit varies (effectively) randomly within certain bounds,

So then what's the significance of describing a particle's movement using a wave function?

I have alot of shit to read up including that Feynman link so if it's in that disregard

The energy of a wave is related to the frequency of the wave.

Since e = mc^2, mass can be substituted for energy.
This suggests mass has a wavelength.

No shit, a history phd submitted this theory and it was dismissed for a long time.

>Everything acts like a wave at that scale

only prior to an irreversible act of amplification

>he doesn't know about pilot waves

You know what's really weird? Entanglement could just be retrocausality!

Holy fuck, that link is nearly TIMECUBE.

What's with the link? I checked a few titles. It sounds like total bullshit at many points.

dude i totally get you you're saying it's just a probability distribution
and it is, but you can describe it as a wave
because maths

language is really bad for physics, people get trapped in definitions

seriously tho, are particles sentient?

why are they changing their behaviour if we are observing it?

Do they know?
Was there scientific explanation for this?

This

Electrons aren't sentient you fucking cucks

There is no difference; Bohmian mechanics is mathematIcally equivalent formulation of quantum mechanics where the particles actually are guided by "pilot waves".

However, it's regarded as unnecessarily complicated and rather unnatural-seeming by mainstream physics, so it's largely ignored.

Physics crackpot.

They change behavior because in order to observe it, you have to add energy to it (i.e light, or else you wouldn't see it). Since the system has been changed, the wavefunction predicting its motion also changes

This is actually wrong. That's why Heisenberg thought it worked, but that was like a hundred years ago.

Proof?
That's how it's still being taught at uni.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

>Historically, the uncertainty principle has been confused[5][6] with a somewhat similar effect in physics, called the observer effect, which notes that measurements of certain systems cannot be made without affecting the systems, that is, without changing something in a system. Heisenberg offered such an observer effect at the quantum level (see below) as a physical "explanation" of quantum uncertainty.[7] It has since become clear, however, that the uncertainty principle is inherent in the properties of all wave-like systems,[8] and that it arises in quantum mechanics simply due to the matter wave nature of all quantum objects

Unfortunately, I'm barely above popsci level, so I can't really give a a good explanation myself.

Not actually what's being discussed here, I think. I assume the comment about adding energy and perturbing the system is a very basic description of the EPR paradox, rather than merely a comment of the dE/dt formulation of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

'Behaviour changes' due to 'observation', are to do with the nature of measurement as an entanglement process. I admit to not having a strong enough grounding in modern quantum information theory for this one, but my understanding is that the view of eigenstates collapsing due to measurement is, according to classic Shannon QIT, an artifact of the entanglement process caused by the interaction between the detector and the particle. There does not even have to be a transfer of energy for this to occur, merely a transfer of information.

The only way to avoid information transfer and thus entanglement would be if the detector did not interact with the particle, which is equivalent to saying that the particle went undetected. I know experiments were designed which relied on non-detection as a means of extracting information about a particle, but I don't know if they were ever performed.

That was what I was going for in terms of "actually, it's not just transfer of energy", that it's more to do with the fact that the observer/environment are now entangled with the state, but I lacked the expertise to be sure that 1) I wasn't talking bullshit and 2) to actually explain that in useful detail without making a mistake. Apparently I also picked the wrong Wikipedia article, now that I look more closely at it.

Thank you for expressing what I was unable to do.

proof is I dont shoot light out of my eyes and I didn't choose to encounter the particle it ran into me

OP here.

Here's where I'm at so far:
>An interference pattern is the result of peaks and valleys created by constructive and deconstructive interference between two waves.
>If waves are sent through slits, each wave's travel time is effected by the extra distance it travels around the edge of the slit
>This results in waves of different phases
>said waves would collide on the other side of the slit resulting in interference
>naturally some would be full constructive (doubling the amplitude) while others would be full destructive (resulting in no wave) and the rest would be somewhere between.
>regardless we would see a interference pattern reflecting this
>because the same pattern appears when electrons are sent through a slit, it leads us to believe that electrons have a wavelength (or other properties of a wave)

Now what I don't understand is how you can double the amplitude of an electron??
What does the resulting dot look like?
Also I thought they shot then one by one, how can you have interference with only one particle?
If aligned properly, could two electrons collide and completely disappear because of destructive interference?

as usual plz send help