He words in Latin or French, in an English-speaking book, without a translation attached

>he words in Latin or French, in an English-speaking book, without a translation attached

>English-speaking book

>latin/french
very easy to just look up or guess(eh..) the meaning if theyre familiar words. But you'd probably benefit a lot from learning some of the basics of french if you read a lot of books that do this. I'm only intermediate level in French and don't have trouble at all with books that do this(Ulysses, Demons, for example)

I agree OP. All popular editions should contain translations. You can't expect more technical texts to translate everything though.

Hon hon hon!

No.

English speakers dont want to see that shit randomly thrown in an English sentence, unless you have a fkng footnote

>He isn't at least conversational in every European language, or at least with a passing knowledge of their key rhetorical words/phrases

Heh, better stay way from Nietzsche then, keed.

most European I know are bilingual
most American I know are not
this is sad
t. Japanese person in Germany

>I'm a lazy retard

Just fucking google translate it knob knocker.

European countries are essentially the size of American states, no? Besides obvious ones like Russia of course.

I can speak and hear French, but I cannot read or write it (though I can guess since I've been exposed to it my whole life)

Go to the better thread about this, which asks for discussion rather than attack/defense.

Hit 'post' early because I'm drunk;

What I was getting at is, if I lived in a province closer to Quebec, I might be able to read and write in French. I however am on the West Coast so I hear Tagalog more than French.

So, it is silly to expect somebody from the US to know a language when they are only exposed to some French on the North East and some Spanish in the South. Some Southerners know broken Spanish too.

>muh patrician 21st century priviledge

Just stop.

wow, this is the fattest thing I've read today

It's not like most of these works have entire chapters or paragraphs written in other languages... They're usually small broken up phrases that even a 101 level of knowledge in the language could discern. The only time I couldn't fully understand what the author was writing within 3 minutes of reading over a passage was Heidegger in Ancient Greek.

ITT: more special snowflake "but I CANNNN'T" whining.

geographic area, sure, but not population or depth of culture

Wow please grace us with your knowledge of Hungarian's 17 noun declensions

>we both know you just meant spanish french german italian russian english

I'm Polish and even I don't know what the fuck is worth reading in my language

French is aesthetically pleasing, even if you just read it out without being sure d the meaning. A footnote is not aesthetically pleasing. French is not aesthetically pleasing enough to distract the reader from having to read a fucking footnote unless it's old ass French that even natives need footnotes for.

What do you mean by this? Just curious

the most american thing I've read today.

Stop being a pleb, then, and learn another language.

If you are not dim witted, though, you can figure out the meaning of those parts by observing the words and finding similarities in English, in terms of spelling and roots of the words.

>reading an old library copy of The Magic Mountain
>that entire chapter that consists of a conversation in french, untranslated

Whelp

>Infinite Jest.

>Not being fluent in Latin and English and therefore catching the gist of every romance and germanic language

I pity the plebs

Are you in Düsseldorf? Is it easy for non-Japanese to hook up with girls from the Japanese community there?

You should be able to understand this, but even if you don't, you can just google the phrases. I don't speak French, and sometimes have to google shit, but I find that I'm at fault for not knowing French, rather than the author.

Then how do I into Filipino lit?

I also had problems when confronting Ancient Greek, but it just made me want to learn it even more.

>French is aesthetically pleasing
Actually, it only rarely is, and I don't really know what dialects are the good-sounding ones.

kys dumb frogposter

>the words are obviously google translated.
I mean, this only happens in new works, but it seriously cheeses me off, if you dig, especially with latin.