What do modern physicists study? Isn't physics "complete" by now or at least as complete as humanly possible?

What do modern physicists study? Isn't physics "complete" by now or at least as complete as humanly possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

quantamagazine.org/20160809-what-no-new-particles-means-for-physics/
youtu.be/MuvwcsfXIIo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nigga wtf you talking about the standard model is falling apart and will be chucked out the window within five years

yeah dude we figured everything out. You should probably call a bunch of world leaders and tell them to stop funding research.

I thought the biggest problem in quantum physics is that the standard model keeps holding up even though we know it's not complete.

Physics in the realm of what we can observe directly in our scale is pretty much figured out, but physics on a much larger or smaller scale (as in massive space stuff or super microscopic things) are faaar from being even remotely figured out. Worst part is most modern theories are almost impossible to prove

Physics will never be complete

modern physicists are nothing but shoddy mathematicians

Physics is done and so what they do is try to reformulate things we already know using as complicated math as they possibly can.

All you need for physics is calculus, diff eq, and linear algebra. Anything else is nonphysical nonsense.

b8

General relativity and the standard model are incompatible. This indicates that one or both or wrong. Physics cannot approach completeness until we have a working TOE (Theory Of Everything).

i fucking hate this board and now remember why i left

no

The only changes it requires are for neutrino oscillations. Also thisbackreaction.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-lhc-nightmare-scenario-has-come-true.html

We still don't understand plenty of shit: dark matter, dark energy, accelerating expansion (inflation model a shit), black holes / singularities, how does quantum gravity work, etc.

>dark
>dark
>black

Why are physicists so edgy?

That's what I'm saying though. It's incomplete with regards to dark energy/matter, blackholes and obviously gravity. But as far I remember, whenever they get a measurement that would imply the SM breaking down, it ends up being a statistical error.

Actually that article you linked to I'm pretty sure was the statistical mistake I was referring to. I can't find the article on it though

Can you give me a definite sense of what has been accomplished in the last ten years thanks to what has been discovered through the work of funded physicists?

What is the actual goal of a complete physics if we can't even interpret what that physics says about the world conceptually? Can someone explain what the hope is in such a venture while ignoring, for example, interpretations of quantum mechanics? Or the ontology of spacetime? What does a unified theory actually tell us about the world?

Actually it is not about finding something. It's about finding nothing.
quantamagazine.org/20160809-what-no-new-particles-means-for-physics/

>What does a unified theory actually tell us about the world?
How to actually do fucking QFT calculations whenever gravity is involved. It's not just a philosophical problem.

Oh and also the fate of the universe and whether or not we'll eventually get to visit the stars and sheeit.

>if we can't even interpret what that physics says about the world conceptually?

Who says that we can't? Even string theory can be interpreted conceptually. However only by someone who can already make sense of the mathematical foundations.

I always wonder: how come quantum mechanics still involves no gravity? Shit, any massive particle falls down under the gravity! How can quantum mechanics still work without it? Does quantum mechanics thinks particles won't fall down after I throw them up?

I want popsci to leave.

Do you even know what a geodesic is?

Yep, I'm a math major

we dont even know how gravity completly works yet m8

Gravity is ignored because its effect is negligable.

>negligable
Universe says : "For you"

A fifth fundamental force, six sigma.

youtu.be/MuvwcsfXIIo

Ignoring everything modern like quantum, field theories, nuclear, solid state, materials, etc... we still have many unanswered problems in classical mechanics. I mean we dont even really know how fluid mechanics work still.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof

Well something completely new and unpredicted by physics is going on and with six sigma certainty.

New physics will almost certainly come out of this.