Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/nV9iPMNS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I am new to Veeky Forums and wondering Brandon Sanderson got so much hate in here?
I have read a few books of him and I think they are OK. His lectures are great, too.

>I am new to Veeky Forums and wondering Brandon Sanderson got so much hate in here?
Because he writes for morons.
His characters are shit, his prose is embarrassing, his world building is pointless drivel. Just about everything people here enjoy in literature is not only missing, but straight out awful.

>That sentence makes no sense, does he not read his own stuff?
Are you trolling?
If not how old are you?
I don't believe anyone who "supposedly" reads as much as we are expected to, says that sentence makes no sense.

His world building is good, and the rest is true of everything in the genre

>What are your Best Wolfe Books?
New and Short Sun, The Wizard Knight, Fifth Head of Cerberus, still haven't read Peace
>What are your Best Anti-Wolfe Books?
What's that supposed to mean? Best anti Wolfe as in most retarded? Bakker and Rothfuss.
Best anti Wolfe as in different in the way the author writes? Tolkien I would say.
Best anti-Wolfe theme wise? Peake and his anti traditionalism.
>Best post 2000 Dinosaur books?
The only science fiction or fantasy written in this decade by not Wolfe was Golden Age. Wasn't amazing, but it does a job at taking you for a ride.
Perodio Street Station was not horrible but not exactly good, it was really long, but didn't have the characters to support the length and also as it went on the annoying preaching became unbearable.
Abercrombie, Bakker, Sanderson, Rothfuss,Scalzi and the dude who wrote The Red Knight were all pretty bad. Not sure if I've read anything else.

>Best Wolfe
Soldier of the Mist/Arete/Sidon

>Anti-Wolfe
wut?

>post 2000 dinosaur books
Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara

Kim Stanley Robinson has been good

>he took the dinosaur literally

>it's a Wolfe edition

I am reading through The Island Of Doctor Death And Other Stories and Other Stories and I am not getting it, like at all.

>The Island Of Doctor Death And Other Stories

Uhh...the kid is making up characters from his book to deal with his druggie mother?

>Alien Stones

I think this one is about consciousness, memory, and completely unfathomable (for us humans) ways of thinking.

>La Befana

No fucking idea. Christ is involved somehow, or maybe the Virgin Mary I think.

>The Hero as Werwolf

Even less of a clue than La Befana.

I think I'm too retarded for Wolfe.

He's just a pretentious meme.

>didn't have the characters to support the length
>implying Lin's fucked-up family, the Ambassador to Hell, & Yagharek's choice-theft bits weren't GOAT
I can see Isaac as a weak spot though, dude was Basil Exposition for most of the first half.

>Uhh...the kid is making up characters from his book to deal with his druggie mother?
well thanks capt. obvious
but its also about the joys and comfort we find in the stories
and reader response

I haven't read him yet. Out of the post 2000 he doesn't get mentioned very often.
You got Island. Kid was making it up to cope with his slowly dying mother who was also fucking her dealer. She dies at the end, the two narratives are diametrical in a way, the fiction has a happy end, his life, not so much.
Hero as a Werewolf is about a werewolf who is trying to convince you that eating humans is actually not so bad, but his story is full of holes and he's actually just an evil being.
First half didn't have anything interesting about the characters and having 400 pages of exposition is extremely dull. Science fiction and fantasy have this strange fixation on pointlessly long stories.

Tell me some books that present manipulation or exploitation of mathematical concepts.

>grouping Sanderson with red knight
Get fucked

It was better, but still something not worth reading. It was dull, stupid and gave me Abercrombie flashbacks.

>It was better
Oh, lel. Didn't realize that this was "bantz", you got me good.

I didn't like his book Aurora: main character wasn't even a character, the AI wasn't interesting, the whole plot (generation ship, crew division, dangers and threats, secret other blown-up ship) felt pointless and better done in other books in my opinion. The micro-fauna messing with the ship ecosystem was the only thing going for it.

Because he's very popular and successful.

pretty much this, just typical online biterness

←this
Multi-million dollar deal to write what is his passion, and the pseuds here can't even get an agent to call them back. Pure saline.

Also read this thread

Are you saying he's better or worse than Abercrombie?

He is saying it's better than Sanderson, but still shit that gave him Abercrombie flashbacks. I think it's safe to say it's worse than Abercrombie, at least he finished Abercrombie, he dropped red knight.

First and only for the 'Ring of Light' quintet, a mythological story of creation from the farthest reaches into the past, when the universe and its gods were still in their infancy.

Full story here
pastebin.com/raw/nV9iPMNS

Stop spamming this awful garbage.

>muh Flatland

Better, but I didn't feel like going through another 600 pages of dullness after it. He had a decency to have descriptions and have some non full on generic characters.
His not church was also really lacking in imagination and actually had so little knowledge of medieval theology he presented gnostic dualism as the mainstream teaching, which triggered me. If you want to insert the rosary, Jesus, monasteries and all that stuff, have the self respect to read a book on it.

Just finished another series, I like novels where you learn things, like Brent Weeks taught sword play, Malazan series taught how to do war, how bad war is, to avoid capitalism and oil industry and complex human interaction, so what should I read next

The Buried Giant

This is quality irony

what did /sffg/ think of the harry potter play?

A hot pile of garbage

Read powder Mage so you can learn how to load a flintlock

Perhaps you would enjoy learning about the gradient?

Thank you

The gradient?

>The gradient?
I guess not.

It does cover zero g hand-to-hand combat and strategy at length.

If you're low IQ user, shouldn't you still be working through Malazan?

>What are your Best Wolfe Books?
Peace is the true patrician's choice. Followed by New Sun and Soldier Series

>What are your Best Anti-Wolfe Books?
I don't know what this exactly means, but if Wolfe is heavily literary and nuanced, then I'm guessing you're asking for something straightforward and simple, in which case I would probably go with someone like Robert E. Howard or R. Scott Bakker.

>Kid was making it up to cope with his slowly dying mother who was also fucking her dealer.

It's heavily inferred that the characters aren't, in fact, made up and are actually appearing in 'real life'. The kid's aunt even goes so far as to claim she sees Dr. Death when they go to eat. Also, Dr. Death is the one who saves the Kid from seeing any more of the depravity his mother is involved with, so there's a bit more going on that simply "IT'S ALL IN HIS HEAD". The idea that Wolfe is trying to convey is that truly meaningful and lasting stories work their way into our sub-conscience and form our perceptions, as well as fortify our virtues and morals to detect dangerous and depraved situations when they arrive. It's the reason why Dr. Death, the antagonist in the book the kid reads, is actually the protagonist of the actual story. Dr. Death teaches the Kid about evil and sin by depicting evil and sin. He's a teacher, not a villain.

Hello he is not me, but I did finish Memories of Ice today! Going to start House of Chains soon.

Are you black?

No, Europe

I asked if you were black, not where you are from. France is 1/3 niggers by now.

It was shit just like the HP books, so I don't see what the big deal about it is.

I am white

why are you racist

I posted yesterday but didn't get a reply.
I'm looking for a book, or series or books, but preferably just a singular book, about a great journey.
I've read The Stand by Stephen King and although the ending was utter shite, the journey and character building was wonderful. Also just finished Imajica by Clive Barker and even though the ending was a little corny I still really enjoyed it.
if the characters travel through different different countries, planets, dimensions, dominions, hell, even time or anywhere really as long as the scenery changes from time to time and is well fleshed out I'd be happy.

what would you recommend to read next out of these 3:

Great Book of Amber
Chronicles of Black Company
Black Sun Rising

Kingkiller chronicles by Rothfuss

Black Sun Rising is the best imo

thanks, are they all good though?
gonna read them all eventually

Yes

I've already read those, they sort of fit what I'm looking for but not quite.

The blade itself maybe?
There is a great journey in that, magic too

>recommending Abercrombie

How is Abercrombie's stuff? I've never read any before and tend not to pay attention to idiots like this

Great. Book 1 is a bit slow but the payoff is worth it. The stand alone books in the same universe are pretty good too, some even like it better than the series.

Voyage to Arcturus

I can certainly deal with slow, as long as that time is used to build up a world or the characters then I actually prefer a slower pacing, thanks for the tip!

From what I've just read, that sounds quite interesting, thanks user

You're that one user getting triggered every thread. If you don't like it, ignore it. God knows posting a link alone is better than half the shit being posted and """"discussed"""" here.

Malazan
The Magicians by Lev

What epic fantasy series do you like?
Genuinely curious

If by "epic" fantasy you mean stuff like WoT, Malazan, and Bakker then I don't like it at all.

The problem with Abercrombie is that it's subversion and edge for its own sake, aka he's so preoccupied with deconstructing fantasy tropes he forgets the book also has to be good.

I've definitely been considering the Malazan books! How is the journey aspect though? Is the reader taken through different countries and climates? A big part of reading Imajica was actually the travelling through deserts and snowy mountains and places filled with exotic plants and animals.
I've never heard of The Magicians before, what's it like?

What non-epic fantasy series do you like then

It's the guy that hates everything that isn't Wolfe or 100 years old.

I like BOTNS but also more recent works by Van Der Meer, Swanwick, Powers, and Guy Gavriel Kay.

Not him, sorry. Plenty of good books come out every year, Abercrombie just happens to not be among them.

Fantasy are supposed to be easy-reads, enjoyable tales and means of escaping for a while, like a video game or T.V show
Of course you won't enjoy them with a stick up your pretentious arse

>Fantasy are supposed to be easy-reads, enjoyable tales and means of escaping for a while, like a video game or T.V show

I disagree. I think this attitude is what brought about the horde of shit fantasy we have been seeing recently. And I prefer my sff to be well written and well thought out.

Luckily there's still plenty of good authors who won't stand for being literary McDonalds. SFF can be so much more.

Someone reply to me instead of these bickering children.

Yes for Malazan.

Protip, there isn't much of 100 year old fantasy out there and the oldest I've read in general is like 80.

Pushing Ice - Alastair Reynolds - a comet mining ship and crew in the near future is dragged kicking and screaming on a long journey through space to a mysterious destination.
Terminal Planet - Alastair Reynolds - main character travels and does stuff on a weird science fiction world where the scenery changes a lot, the world is really interesting and multifaceted. Different modes of transportation too.

What is wrong with Sanderson btw? He is on the recommended list
I have The Way of Kings on its way from Amazon

>Is the reader taken through different countries and climates?
Definitely. Erikson was apparently trained as an archaeologist/anthropologist and he loves building up multiple civilizations. It is sometimes difficult to keep track of them all over the entire series (I'm on book 7).

Don't the books go to shit at some point?

>bakker fags in a nutshell

Nothing, just ignore bakker faggots

Sanderson is my favourite fantasy author.

The general claim is that it takes a nosedive at 7, since that's the book I'm on I can't yet attest to the statement's veracity.

What the hell are you doing? That's the Wolfefag, and he hates Bakker.

I don't even know how you connected Bakker to Sanderson.

Well I'm sold, I'm very excited for this series now!

No need to read wolfe to kow how bad bakker is.

You have a case of shit taste son

This is an English speaking board, you seem to be lost.

Is Bakker good too? I've the Darkness that comes before series is good

I'm new to fantasy, there seems to be some fanboyism/rivalry when it comes to some authors, I don't get it

He's arguably the best fantasy author of the 21st century so far, so yes.

Like with everything, people get off by saying my taste > your taste and hate popular things.

Don't do the same mistakes I did. Bakker is by far the worst fantasy author I've read.

lel, can you guys explain why?

Read it and form your own opinion.

Don't fall into the Bakker meme.

This is written in his books introductions.

>R. Scott Bakker is a student of literature, history, philosophy and ancient languages. He divides his time between writing philosophy and fantasy, though he often has difficulty distinguishing between them. He lives in London, Ontario
>though he often has difficulty distinguishing between them.
>"Muh philosophy"

This is a small part from the best review I could find on Bakker:

>The Darkness That Comes Before, by R. Scott Bakker, is a novel about a bunch of needlessly complicated names doing things at each other. There's no descriptions of any of these multisyllabic people, or any kind of introduction to the consonant-heavy locations the events happen in. It's a book written to take advantage of its own glossary, and uses enough Philosophy 101 to make sure people who "get" it feel smart and get violently defensive.

Like said. Just don't buy his books. Download them and read the 1st 100 pages on your PC.

>The Magicians by Lev

Lev Grossman? I get pissed whenever I see this edgy piece of grimdark tryhard garbage recommended everywhere. It was the worst book I've ever had the displeasure of reading, and that says a lot because I skim-read Twilight ironically. People masturbate all over about this series and it's worse than Harry Potter, because at least HP, while shitty and shallow, was whimsical and comfy and had characters you could like. I wish I could rip out my memories of it.

Do you happen to like Bakker?

>Raymond E. Feist

What should I read from him? If anything at all.

Agreed. Honestly even worse than shit like Sanderson, Weeks and Butcher, if that was possible.

The Empire series

Haven't gotten to it yet. If you want to know I also hated the Dresden series and hate seeing it shilled everywhere as well. But the author of that doesn't take himself as seriously as Grossman so I'm not that mad about a shit book with a shit fanclub.

What do you think og the Raven's Shadow trilogy? Is this good?

From what I heard the first book is great, but do not read past that.

Wut? Thats another author

Why do you make dumb posts before googling?