Applying for paid summer internships

>applying for paid summer internships
>"what is your salary requirement?"
Probably just a stock form being used for every application in the company.
>what do? Anyone else have thoughts?

I have no idea what to expect for a salary, I can pretty much guarantee that it'll be a better gig than driving Uber like I did last summer.

Tfw too old for this.

Attached: William_Murderface.jpg (640x360, 23K)

What kind of shitass place doesn't tell you the salary beforehand.
I can already imagine this question is made for the sole purpose of trying to lower your pay, if you give a price lower than what they expect, con-fucking-grats, you just shot yourself on your foot. If you give a higher price, be ready to be treated like shit.

Depends on the industry and location
Give a figure 25% higher than you really want

Most places won't tell you salary before hand....it's a negotiation. OP, assuming you haven't already had the conversation with your employer, you need to get them to give you the first number. Since you don't seem to know what your worth is to them, it will put you at a disadvantage to go first.

When they ask, give them a vague answer like, "a fair market rate." Then ask them what their salary range for the position is. Once you know the ballpark, you can push on the upper limits.
Don't accept the initial offer without at least asking for more.

It's a game you gotta play.

Go minimum wage + 20%
Whatever that is

10 dollars le jej

Where the hell do you live where this the norm?

do u have any idea about the unemployment rate and how the job market is?

law and medical students are working at mcdonalds because they cant get anything better.

even unpaid internships get filled in a blink of an eye because they dont need to pay anything students are willing to do anything to get better working experience than mcdonalds at the cost of no salary so once they graduate they MIGHT have a better job lined up.

i mean yea it sucks and these companies are fucking assholes for doing it but they get away with it so why not. majority unfortunately are not in a situation where they can just tell them fuck off and get a better offer.

you take what you can and most people take anything they can get their hands on. it sucks but thats the reality, employers can literally pick the creme of the crop and get away with as beneficial deals for them as possible.

That's the killer. I know what the JOB pays. I just have no idea what interns make. It's something I'll be relocating for the summer to do as well, so the rate SHOULD change based on the location they choose me for.

My friend at the company says they probably won't even looks at what I enter for that field. He hasn't heard to interns negotiating salary at his company.

I've never gotten a job where they tell me the pay before interviewing. I had to research the salaries for the job in the area beforehand. It sucks.

If it’s a public company ask to be paid in stock unless you actually need the money. That’ll be easy for them and you won’t blow your money on dumb shit.

just put in starting wage. what if they pay 12 and you say 10

if this is a tech internship ie amazon, google, facebook etc 80k is a good answer
otherwise i don't know or you should avoid answering I guess.

What really sucks is that the field will only accept numeric values. Those sunsabitches

Management internship in manufacturing, because my experience is in machining and Id like to stay in that environment.

Ah shit, not sure how to best handle that. I would be tempted to put in a ridiculous low (or high), just to satisfy the form but not give away your position. Probably safest to just add 20-25% to what you think is a fair rate would be for the job though. They're likely going to try to bring you down from any serious number you give them.

It's an internship, so you probably don't have much negotiating leverage anyway. Best of luck.

Thanks. My friend has been with the company for some 12-15 years or so. Made it to some regional manager job that I don't quite understand. When he called me back he said "put zero, no one is going to look at that."

"it won't accept zero"

"then like one dollar. That's the same form we all have to use. It says [tech company] on the page right? It's just some bullshit you have to do because HR doesn't like to their job."

So that's the answer I got, more or less. The internship will pay what it pays, and the form I was looking at is used to every application at the company.

Look up salary on Glassdoor and raise it 25%

They have this on forms all the time. The only thing you're supposed to do is not lowball yourself. What do you think is a fair wage? Then up it 20% and be done with it. You're not going to be dropped just because of one question. Especially if everything else is good.

is there anything online that can tell you you expected values for the position? payscale? glassdoor?

the key to salary negotiations is data, data, data. if you leave it blank or go "you first" then they know you have absolutely no idea. the problem is that's near impossible for internships. if you had 5 years in the industry it's a different story and there's plenty of data available.

Write “negotiable”