Novels about suicide, particularly overcoming the desire

Is there a really good book about someone overcoming the desire to commit suicide?

Really need it at this time, Veeky Forums. Please help.

I'd tap that.

Either as she was zoning out and unable to fight back, or after she'd already passed on.

Looks delicious.

The Bell Jar

Post something useful or don't post at all, user. Please don't contribute to the already abysmal shit posting Veeky Forums has been plagued with lately. Thank you.

This.

I also belive Yukio Mishima explores the theme of suicide in one of his books, I don't remember which.

Thank you.

>wants books about overcoming suicidal thoughts
>given two authors who committed suicide

Darkness Visible

I'll post whatever the fuck I like, you wank puffin.

Hui, quick question, how do you commit suicide with head in ofen?

Is it because you asphixiate if you have a gas ofen with the gas turned on? Or do they actually have the heat on and they burn their face? That sounds so unpleasant, I'm sure there would be a better way

Keep slamming the door shut on your forehead until you get brain damage or bleed to death.

Old ovens would leak gas if you turned them on but didn't light them. It would be almost impossible to cook your head to death.

Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, and the Demons. If you want to become well, you must become more sick.

Nietzsche and Cioran also write on suicide a little bit (the latter more than the former) but they're less likely than Dostoyevsky to be able to talk you out of it.

Actually, on second thought, The Gay Science might be able to help.

kys

Do not do it. My best friend last week went out to the middle of nowhere, took a bottle of zanex, oxycodein, and a third bottle with alcohol then tried to shoot himself in the head. Has a four year old kid. Only the gunshot saved him when someone heard it, but he wasn't breathing when rescue got there. Two days later on a ventilator he started breathing on his own. It hurts so many people. he could have told me, and even though he was normal when he woke up now he is having delusions and really messed up, in inpatient. Worse off than he was, and his family is suffering so badly. It doesn't solve anything and just brings so much pain to everyone around you. get help.

When you get to the despair, think about how that will make everyone around you feel. Also around here, a young boy killed himself for being bullied, and the next year his father did, too, leaving the mother and daughter to cope with double the grief. It doesn't solve shit.

And if you don't have anyone who cares about you?

Then it's fine to kys.

Then you're free to go.

Lol

The last third of Anna Karenina is exactly what you're looking for. Maybe. It has someone resisting suicide and someone committing suicide... You'll be fine though OP.

top kek

>that omen though

Try Blaise Pascal: De Penseés.

Maybe some Camus.

>mfw niggas think it fine to leave a room if it got too smoky but not to kys irl

>It doesn't solve anything
That's silly as fuck. Of course it does. You calling him selfish is ridiculous utilitarian faggotry. You're the selfish one here mate.

It honestly doesn't.
It's an irreversible early puss-out, when you could instead spend the rest of your biological time reversibly attempting various levels of courage in living your life.

There's a world of possibilities out there, not all of which are bad, and there is nothing outside of that world except complete void which is waiting for you either way in the end. Choosing to reach that void sooner rather than as late as possible just means that you'll certainly never have felt happiness, which in turn makes it a puss-out.

What "solves" stuff is just admitting to yourself that your previous mentality needs to go away, and in a way changing your mentality for the better will be a much more significant form of suiciding the "yourself" than actually physically taking your life could ever hope to be. And you also get to live a happier rest of your life as an added bonus.

Don't talk about shit which you clearly don't understand.

It just doesn't end. Going on 10 years soon. Nothing seems to help.

>Don't talk about shit which you clearly don't understand.
>hurrr it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem
Don't post here again. And certainly don't tell me I know nothing about it when you post that trite garbage. You have no experience. Don't pretend you know anything about your friends suffering. You're pathetic.

>Don't post here again.
literal "don't look at my girlfriend" tier.

>Don't pretend you know anything about your friends suffering.
literal projection. I was talking out of personal experience, but obviously you're the one who was not, since anyone considering themselves "in the know" and believing that suicide is good is bound to have already killed themselves.

>le "I truly suffered and not you" maymay
>>>/reddit/

I know that feeling. But is it possible that nothing is supposed to ""help""? Maybe the struggle is to learn to accept that sorrow and live your life anyway as a fuck you to that sorrow. Everything will only help if you believe really hard that it will help, and even then it will take time, but don't let that sound phony to you just for that reason. If the end goal truly is to get you to believe that there is hope for good things in your life, then it's a mindset problem, so all it should take for a different mindset to be the solution to your hopelessness/lack of hope is literally just that it's a mindset which is a solution to your hopelesness/lack of hope.

Basically the name of the game is to train yourself to enjoy whatever good you can have with the resources that your particular life has given you. That's all. A non-returnable key to norminess right there.

>Basically the name of the game is to train yourself to enjoy whatever good you can have with the resources that your particular life has given you. That's all. A non-returnable key to norminess right there.
...let me just add, is it possible that what you're feeling is the fact that all this requires immense courage? Being courageous is by no means an easy feeling. My point is, fuck easy. Allow yourself to feel scared about what will happen if you try even harder and it still isn't enough. Worst case scenario, you have another crisis, and you have to rebuild yourself again. Literal key to norminess right there.

How can you justify being happy when there is so much horrible shit in this world? I feel like I just want to help, but I am incapable of doing so, which leads me to feeling powerless, and then worthless. I don't know what the fuck to do guys.

So don't be happy for a while until you can figure stuff out. Happiness is luxury either way.
I can assure you that people living today in general in human civilization are currently at an all time high in regards to caring about the horrible shit going on in the world to people other than them personally. If it could be any better currently, it would be. It's not. We're all working towards it.

It's quite possible however that this is linkable to our all time high in regards to narcissism, and there are downsides to narcissism, which include neglect of painful emotions which come from inside you. It's important not to go overboard with caring about "the world", because if you don't take care of yourself first and the world later, you're bound to burn out, whereas the douchebags who don't give a fuck about the world in the first place will never have to face that issue. Spending time caring about yourself is entirely as legitimate as spending time caring about the world, because you are the world. If you are to be the change you want to see in the world, then you sure as shit need quite a bit of time figuring out what that change is.

>It doesn't solve anything

...if you fail. Succeed and it solves everything for the person that does it.

Recognize and accept that impotence is an useless feeling. If there's absolutely nothing you can do you ideally shouldn't care. If you can do anything at all you should be doing it. No amount of grief is going to change that.

Yukio Mishima - Temple of the Golden Pavilion

Grim book but has an uplifting ending.