What does Veeky Forums think of Everyman's Library? Worth collecting...

What does Veeky Forums think of Everyman's Library? Worth collecting? I'm afraid if I bought all my books from them my bookshelf would look to uniform. but I have The Stranger and The Border Trilogy and I can tell they are great editions that will last the years.

2nd most aesthetic book collection, right behind NYRB

They are excellent. Their collection only covers big mainstream names, so your library won't look uniform unless you're a really boring person that only buys big mainstream name books. In which case, an appearance of uniformity would be entirely appropriate.

I'm sure Veeky Forumss opinion of them will be fairly negative but I really like them and they have recently become my first choice in editions.

*gayest book collection

ftfy

I have a couple I bought used. The paper quality is nice. I like them.

Are you supposed to take off the jacket or leave it on when you out it on a bookshelf?

They look nice, but I personally wouldn't go overboard with these types of books. They can make your shelf look gaudy and pretentious. Maybe a couple of them if you want some Russian lit in a single collection or something but not the entire collection IMO.

Paperbacks are better tbqh.

Definitely take it off and put it somewhere safe while reading
Absolutely. They're my first choice in copy when I want a hardcover of something.

My first choice is always the 1st ed. hardcover. If that is unavailable or too expensive (so pretty much anything published before 1950), I go to Everyman's Library. I love their books. They are high quality at an inexpensive price. They also almost always have good translations.

>paperbacks

The only thing I hate about NYRB.

I bought Death Comes For the Archbishop and the Decline and Fall, both beautiful

I like them, but they feel just a little too small for me. If they were about an inch taller and longer they'd be perfect.

I'm glad you aren't in charge of designing them. They are literally the perfect size.

I dunno, they just have a little cramped feeling to them, especially when it gets to illustrations.

Translations aren't often the best, paper is bible thin.

Harold Bloom's heart would detach and shatter if he heard you using the word "aesthetic" that way.

>Harold Bloom
Literally who cares?

from which publisher is that ulysses?

It's from The Franklin Library 100 greatest books of all time series.

its acid free paper though, unlike most penguins and all oxfords pre 2012(?)