"For the sake of argument let..."

>"For the sake of argument let..."

This is wrong to do right?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_proof
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For the sake of argument lets say its not

If it leads to logical inconsistencies then of course it is wrong to do. (Unless those inconsistencies are what is being pointed out)

Otherwise who gives a shit.

>for the sake of argument disregard friction
>----disregard internal forces
>----disregard quantum structure
>----disregard significant digits
>one semester later
>all of these things must be taken into consideration

>enter kindergarten at age 5
>what is 1+1?
>2
>no children, first we must define an axiom of extensionality, ..., construct the reals, ..., define operations, ...

WILDBERGER SAVE US

If properly used, "for the sake of argument" is involved in setting up assumptions (P) which one then shows lead to some conclusion (Q).

From this we then conclude "P -> Q", or in english "if P, then Q follows".

In formal logic this is called "conditional proof", en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_proof

Philosophy isn't math or sci

b8

>constructing the reals to add integers

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Of course not you mong.

>not constructing the reals to add integers

>For the sake of argument let gravity not exist, then wed be flying.

Completely useless my friendo, i am pretty sure theres an examlle in math too. Implications are goos when we know the premise is true, then show that Q must also be true.

>Completely useless
that line just showed the existence of gravity
>brainlet can't into contraposition and posts in a thread about formal logic
eyl oh eyl

It depends. You can assume something in order to prove that this assumption is inconsisten (proof by contradiction, or counterexample, etc). It can also be used to ignore a point of contention that, even while granted, you would still have doubts about a conclusion, i.e
-black people have lower IQ, therefore its fine to enslave them

-Even if, for the sake of argument, admited that black people have lower IQs, that doesn't mean they aren't humans with rights. As long as they are capable of managing their own lives, law recognizes them as citizens and persons.

Tell op that I guess.

That's called an axiom btw

Or define a group (there are many ways to introduce them to children) and show how algebra in the free abelian group on the point correlates with how we count things.

Retard

you'll be (dis)proving a lot of math problems that way, only in some other wording.

Let's assume that OP is a faggot...

Wait that's a tautology