Why can you get any college degree without learning real analysis? It should be a gen ed requirement...

Why can you get any college degree without learning real analysis? It should be a gen ed requirement. Why is it only the humanities that get to have those?

Other urls found in this thread:

prepas.org/ups.php?document=6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Math has gen Ed requirements in college algebra. If real analysis was required to get a degree, then humanity departments wouldn't exist because they wouldn't have any graduates and no funding

Possibly coincidence but are you just saying "if real analysis was required" because that's what your currently taking?

>college algebra
is that like group theory or are Americans non-ironically learning elementary school math in college?

Its algebra 2 level shit for people that didnt get it, not sure what the euro equivalent of those high school classes would be. It isnt exactly required though, most unis let you test past it and other maths.

don't be autism

Real analysis is a bit too much. People who are in STEM can't even pass Stewart level calc 1.

It's elementary-level shit. I accidentally went into the wrong classroom and attended part of one of these classes. It was sad. The grad student was teaching basic y=mx+b shit and the students kept being like "duhhhh I still dun get it...."

This was at Cornell, too, so it wasn't a shit-tier uni by any means.

no, it's because the OP says that real analysis should be required to get a degree

I'm an idiot and didn't read the OP, my bad.

>forcing gen ed on something any symbolic calculator can do for you
heil le mao

Aren't math majors the only people who learn group theory?

On the general topic. I have a friend studying communication and she has an algebra class and tbqh I have no idea why they call it algebra when it is just analytic geometry

>Aren't math majors the only people who learn group theory?
Maybe in America.

I think some physics major may learn it too, but some Veeky Forums users will act like group theory is something you learn in high school

>Maybe in America.

I am not from america though.

It makes sense if physics major learn it but is it early? Because here by the first semester we already had a solid theory of groups, rings and fields with some elementary theorems proven for all structures proven.

I have friends in CS and engineering aswell and none of them have any idea that any of those things exist.

When exactly would physics majors learn group theory?

Forgot that Europeans also act like university level math is part of general education

Physics majors don't usually learn group theory, not in the US, at least.

CTRL+F'ing the physics curriculum of my university for 'algebra' yields 1 result, linear algebra, and for 'group' 0 results.

It's my understanding that a lot of math isn't part of physics curriculums, but there is an expectation that they take math that is outside of what they are required to take

Amazing read my main man.

>pre-sub-remedial course
kek'd

This is specially funny to me because at the point I am I wouldn't even consider what he first descibed as 'College Algebra' to be algebra.

Just call it geometry with numbers god fucking damn.

If that person is was educated in mathematics and not "mathematics education" then he probably forced himself to not mention this point by asking his wife to put a gun to his head with the instruction to shoot if he mentions it.

I wonder how art majors would feel if the hallf of their university were filled with people taking 'College Art' which was equivalent to finger painting for adults.

That is what 'College Algebra' is. Painting with fingers. Painting with dumb dumb dumb fingers.

Every physics/chem major and engineering student learn group theory, what the fuck America?

I dare you to post a curriculum in any of those majors that includes group theory.

please do this and say what country you're from

wtf is going on in that picture?

#cocksnotglocks
Just another noguns movement.

>#cocksnotglocks

I think I support this movement.

This is just sad, terribly sad, wow

wow, just wow, so incredibly sad

really, wow. this is just heartbreaking

just wow, this is just devastating

France.
prepas.org/ups.php?document=6
See page 18
This is the first year pre-engineering program.

wow that's sad bro

not as sad as walking into the wrong classroom long enough to make an accurate judgement, but still sad bro

It is a good thing that at least students get to know the term group but giving examples of groups is not group theory, man.

You understand this is a program and not a textbook, right?

>Grand Ecoles

so highly competitive French schools outside of the French university system that require two years of dedicated study after high school to enter and specialize in engineering require that their students learn group theory, so therefore American students are subpar since they don't do the same.

why do Europeans act like every European college graduate learns the entirety of undergraduate mathematics?

I can't tell if they're all actually that delusional and or if it's just a meme now. Either way, it really has gotten old.

wow so sad I killed myself after reading this

this also frustrates me

>post-grad students saying 'oh, i dont DO stats'
>lolWat

In my physics course, they normally teach you such things in the courses where they are used or a big soup of a course, so you don't really find a group theory course, but instead learn it along the way.

cuck

wow

noguns geh raus

>tfw you can do a graduate degree in social sciences and with your only exposure to stats being the 200-level "Intro to Stats for the Sciences" course

You have to accept cocks not glocks is a funny name. Sounds like a fake hashtag /b/ would start.

I cry every night because of this

It's funny how physicists often have a much better grasp of stats than social scientists, even when physicists usually need only a very basic knowledge as their experiments are usually well-controlled

"Hey user can you help me with my alpha level inflation? I want to go into research but i guess I'm just not a stats kind of person LOL"

>mfw

cornell doesn't offer anything before calculus m8

Real analysis is absolutely disgusting

Algebra 2 here is Ring theory.

Fuck off

>mfw no face

You mean Real Analysis is dope as fuck

Anything that is remotely interesting in analysis is far more interesting in topology.

Because academia is trying to make STEM graduates just automatas... same way they are making social sciences be the weird stoner who overanalyzes everything

Anyone too stupid to pass an analysis course does not deserve an academic degree.

Rambling about Marx hardly constitutes as analyzing anything

Statistical mechanics will give them a better theoretical basis, but not even Physicists ate good at stats. For some reason, only mathematicians who study probability and statistics are good at it.