Who was the most influential philosopher of the 20th century

in your opinion

philosophy is for gay boys

Probably Camus, in the sense that the dominant ideology in the face of religious decay and nihilism is just awkwardly shrugging it off and continuing to push that boulder while trying to convince yourself that you're happy.

ehh..i see him more as a writer than a philosopher...

the only answer to this question, honestly is Wittgenstein.......maybe Heidegger as well

Heidegger, no contest.

its either him or Wittgenstein

Real philosophisers aren't very influential.

LOL continental philosophy is a joke

Analytical Philosophy is where its at...which is why i go for Witty

>austrian christian mystic
>not continental

While they both set the agenda for the two main competing schools of philosophy for the rest of the century, I vote Heidegger because Heidegger was influential not only in academic philosophy but also in popular culture, through existentialism. Heidegger also continues to exert great influence on academic philosophy and its various offshoots (ugh, deconstruction) today, whereas Wittgenstein's influence has faded with time. I could be wrong about the latter, though; I don't do analytic philosophy.

Nick Land

Wittgenstein was Jewish not a Christian?

He was raised Catholic although he had Jewish heritage, which his family refuted. Wittgenstein himself tried to prove that him and his sisters are not Jewish so they would omit nazi repercussions. In terms of faith he wasn't a believer but respected Catholicism very much and apparently had many Catholic friends like GEM Anscombe

many jews were self hating....look at Kafka, i'm not surprised

but even then Wittgenstein fits more so in the Analytic tradition than the Continental tradition

You don't have to be self-hating to be a ethnically Jewish Christian.

I am not and after all I think you're right. Just wanted to give you insight to Wittgenstein's religious views. And yes he was hating on Judaism but his family's conversion to Catholicism started with his father Karl not him

This, every other answer is wrong.

was it true that Heidegger was a Nazi Sympathizer?

No, he was a literal card carrying Nazi.

Kafka wasn't self-hating because he was a Jew. He was just a tad bit /r9k/ and his dad didn't respect him.

The answer is Heidegger. Even if I don't agree with most of his philosophy, I'm pretty sure the most academic theses of philosophy ever written were on Plato and Heidegger.

Yeah but he became semi-disillusioned when his own philosophy failed to predict accurately what the Nazi movement strengths were to be (technology).

He didn't have a resolution to this (IMO) and just acted all insulted when people asked him to apologize.

Depends on what field. Heidegger and Arendt for instance had a lot of influence on politics and in Heideggers case also aesthetics, while Frege, Russell and Wittgenstein had a lot of influence on philosophy of language and logic.

Feyerabend, Kuhn and Popper also had massive influence on philosophy of science.

Agree. It's either Heidegger or Kant.

Anyone else find Wittgenstein to be an analytic Heidegger?

They both come out of Kierkegaard imo and critiqued metaphysics.

Good post.

As he said, it's important to concrete what field, but also to set a time: we can consider it the present or a projection in the future; Deleuze, Foucault are from the late XX century, so their influence is setting more and more nowadays. As Foucault said, "one century will be deleuzian". That century is coming, just that.

Before puking me with your hate consider that the philosophers considered are mainly from the first half of XX century. The only post which considered philosophers of the lates XXs is the one I cited.

Could be, yeah.

I think Foucault and Deleuze are the only interesting post-structural philosophers.

Didn't they have a falling out?

You're one among many my friend. Good of you to see it.

Well, they are not the same person so there was a difference (kek).

Jokes apart, I don't know. Anyway I think they were in the same boat and also had similar praxis in social and political life, so little discussions apart, I don't think they had a bad relationship.

Well, I haven't really read much of Wittgenstein but that was my superficial impression.

I want to tell you to kill yourself for some reason.

I'm sorry I can't read any of that French stuff

Kant