People are complaining about an avocado shortage when the grocery stores bins are overflowing with these magnificent...

>people are complaining about an avocado shortage when the grocery stores bins are overflowing with these magnificent beauties

Other urls found in this thread:

yelp.com/biz/arcangeli-grocery-co-norms-market-pescadero
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>liberate that enormous heart from the choke

>all gone

One of my favorites.

i love artichoke more than any side veggie desu, they're wonderful. also, cutting a choke with a boning knife??

I've never tried artichokes somehow. How do they taste?

astringent

I can't be bothered to eat them fresh. I get them frozen or canned.

OP is my type of goddamn nigger.

out with you

nutty and pretty earthy, but very tasty with a nice zingy dipping sauce

it is astringent, that's not bad

Box of avocado in Hawaii is now $100

fug dat

Kek. I found the boning knife a few days ago in the back of a drawer where it had probably been sitting for 10 years, dull as a butter knife, so I sharpened it and claimed it for my roll. Been using it for everything the past few days because new knife.

A fresh artichoke is completely different from frozen/canned, and really isn't that much work; would recommend.

That's ridiculous - even the local supply is short? I grew up in Hawaii and avocados were always in abundance (also had a couple friends with farmland, so...).

I like stuffed/breaded, but prefer plain, with a simple dipping sauce that compliments the flavor, like suggested.

>tfw my mom makes a delicious artichoke tea

>tfw I only buy 'chokes from Monterrey.
Fuck, now I want one.

Why only from Monterrey? Are artichokes outside of NorCal no good or something?

How are artichokes a substitute for avocado?

Oh shit, you meant Monterrey Mexico, not Monterey Bay, CA...

>at grocery store
>go to buy fresh, in season produce
>see that the avocados you usually buy are twice their normal price and half their normal size
>next to them is a bin of large, cheap artichokes
>buy those instead

How is that difficult to understand?

I'm Italian and I love artichokes. I haven't given it much thought however: is it okay to eat artichoke leaves? I have been doing and sometimes they felt "sharp" against my throat but I liked their taste.

to be fair that coast and the salinas valley grows most of the US artichokes besides mexico

There is an amazing country store in a town called Pescadero, south of Half Moon Bay, that makes an amazing garlic artichoke loaf. It is even better with some of their spreads like chipotle artichoke cream cheese.

Sounds heavy but it's a dream, also beautiful landscape.

yelp.com/biz/arcangeli-grocery-co-norms-market-pescadero

I know it's not my blog but here is a photo and their yelp

Well, I grew up in San Luis Obispo, and they grow wild (and cultivated) around here. We used to have some in my backyard.

>that coast and the salinas valley grows most of the US artichokes besides mexico

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I know right, got this cooking right now, can't decide on a suitable dipping sauce.

Got any ideas? You better hurry though, pressure cooker cooks these things in 6min.

Make a homemade caesar with mayo, lemon juice, Worcestershire and fish sauce/ minced anchovy

i like a mix of balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, and mayo

Are you going to show us what you ended up making?

Imagine those cooked, then I whipped a mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, and stone ground mustard sauce.

Gf loved it. She never had artichoke before.

The fish in caesar dressing comes from the Worcestershire sauce, silly.

ive tried it too, and yeah its great but also too messy and complicated. with an avocado all you need is a knife and a optionally a spoon and youre done.

>too messy and complicated

Look back at the OP pics. Eating the leaves is about as complicated as eating a bag of potato chips with a side of dip, and eating the heart is at most just as "messy and complicated" as removing the peel and pit from an avocado. The only real difference is that you need to cook artichokes, but you can do a bunch at once, and the payoff is worth it.