For the lack of a better board, post your favorite (or just great) paintings here

For the lack of a better board, post your favorite (or just great) paintings here.

Aside is Ingres' Apotheosis of Homer made in 1827. Surrounding Homer are poets, artists, and philosophers both ancient and modern—the modern personages are mostly confined to the lower register of the composition, although Ingres deemed Raphael and Michelangelo worthy of elevation to stand alongside the ancients. See how many you can identify.

Other. This is Cy Twombly's Hero and Leander made in 1985. Another one based in Greek culture and myths.

Here's one of my favorites, and it's Veeky Forums related.

Double Portrait by Lucian Freud.
The tranquillity of the painting is stunning. The colours are soft with smooth brush strokes (especially for a Freud in the 1980s) - probably my favourite painting by Freud.

To keep it Veeky Forums I highly recommend Man With A Blue Scarf by Martin Gayford on sitting for a Portrait by Lucian Freud. It's a really insightful look at a work of art in progress and of the artist.
Breakfast with Freud by George Geordie is also good, but there is way too much focus on gossip and sexual encounters. Barely focuses on his development in painting.

The Painter In Progress by David Dawson is also very interesting, though it is a more of a coffee table book. Lovely to look through though.

>The tranquillity of the painting is stunning
Ya, the fact that there is nothing tranquil about it makes it stunning someone would describe it as such.

I remember you from an old thread, you recommended that book once already. It's still on my Amazon list but I'll get it eventually. Sounds pretty interesting.

It has something of a lazy Sunday afternoon melancholy into it, I liked it.

"Tranquillity (also spelled tranquility) is the quality or state of being tranquil; that is, calm, serene, and worry-free."
Fuck you buddy, I'll describe it the way I want to.

That Greek caption made me cringe. Sounds like some teenage shitposter.

>ayyy lmao, Homer is God lol

My favourites are those huge Richter paintings that he made with a squeegee, my second favourite is more Veeky Forums though so here you go.

Wow that is stunning.

Master of both colour and form

That he could give both equal emphasis is the mark of his genius

Easy GOAT

this one is goat

Shi Tao
Late 17th C Chinese painter

Andrei Rublev Trinity...

My actual favorite is Dali's persistence of memory, but that's too much of a meme choice so here's this.

> My copy of Les Fleurs Du Mal has this exact painting as its cover

that one is neat

Nicholas Roerich

What can i say, im a Rothko baby.

I wish I had a hi-res one for a wallpaper. I love this painting.

Böcklin's Isle of the Dead

oh goody are we doing Roerich. i love that cunt.

PS also aivazovsky never gets enough love

>rachmaninoff's isle of the dead

came

> For the lack of a better board
Patrician meme confirmed to be not a meme.

New wallpaper.