I'm expecting a ban, but what does Veeky Forums think of Islam? Does Islam, the Qur'an, Mohammedanism...

I'm expecting a ban, but what does Veeky Forums think of Islam? Does Islam, the Qur'an, Mohammedanism, or any school of thought in Islam have intellectual merit?

there is intellectual and spiritual merit.
some interesting perspectives on Abrahamic religion.
it is, however, a double-edged sword. a very sharp one at that.

any opinions on Shariah Law?

I appreciate mudslime mathfags, but literally everything else islam-related is a justification to behave like a retard.

Islam suffers from not having a robust secular tradition, honestly. I'm extremely sympathetic to the idea of cultural monads or unique "Geisten" or whatever the fuck, and I've tried to get into Islam while keeping a kind of hermeneutic cultural relativism in mind, but there's just Not As Much There compared to the West.

Philosophically, it's a weird mishmash. The aspect I'm most interested in is whether post-scholastic Islamic philosophy had any insights that have been missed in the Western tradition, like streams of thought or possible thought that were completely absorbed and bowled over by the gigantic river of Kantianism, subject-object rationalism, and so on. But I haven't succeeded in finding much of this. Maybe a few interesting little insights on epistemology, but even submerged or neglected Western dialogues still seem to do it better than the Muslims. And otherwise, it's just a form of orientalism/exoticism, like "look, I can make medieval Islam speak phenomenology!", or it's outright antiquarianism, like a lot of medievalists do by studying endless classificatory minutiae of Aristotelian thought in some 14th century enclave.

Theologically it's boring and/or disgusting. Again, no secularism, no civic layer, so it's always eating its own tail intellectually. Even the theosophy, for all the masturbatory praise sufis get, is 99% degenerate folk-dhikr at best. Probably the most interesting thought comes from the traditionalists, but that either verges on cultism or just looks like something Westerners have done better again (why not just read Guenon?).

Socio-culturally, it's a dead end. Islamic civilisation has crashed and broken. Gives more credence than it should to the Hegelian/Rankean idea that only the West has true history, and all other cultures are pre- or proto-historic at best. Or to the old forgotten idea that "Semitic" culture was essentially feminine and passive, always seeking an equilibrium in Persian/Egyptian despotism. It's inert. Anything that comes out of Islam is going to be a new Geist altogether, if anything ever does. And then it will be as Islamic as we are pagan.

nice post user

Upvote

no of course it fucking doesn't

I dont think Islam can be honestly credited for any original and useful thought. Its basically a copypasta of the Torah.

Spooks.

>Islam suffers from not having a robust secular tradition

>Islamic golden age of secular scientific advancement, occurring concurrently with peaceful and tolerant Muslim rule over Jews and Christians

You know, I don't even like Muslims, but you are a pretentious faggot

Nice meme history.

hahHAHAHA wowWWW BROOO you calLELLED IT A MAYMAY

sure got HIM

You didn't even read his post, you saw the first post and your tiny cuck brain went into maximum overmeme. Read his post and then end your life.

>you saw the first post
*first point

Hate to be that MUH SOURCES guy but where do you guys get your information from? Ill read it im not just memeing

Muezzins were calling the faithful to the
prayer of first light when Averroës entered his
library again. (In the harem, the black-haired
slave girls had tortured a red-haired slave girl,
but Averroës was not to know that until
evening.) Something had revealed to him the
meaning of the two obscure words. With firm,
painstaking calligraphy, he added these lines to
the manuscript: Aristu [Aristotle] gives the
name "tragedy" to panegyrics and the name
"comedy" to satires and anathemas. There are
many admirable tragedies and comedies in the
Qur'an and the mu'allaqat of the mosque.

It is a plague on humanity that must be driven out of every civilized society.

averroes, avicenna, al-farabi......nobody realizes the amount of influence this lil trio had on all your favorite philosophy wetdreams of the day. they were some of the first thinkers who realized that they could be in conversation w mr aristotat und platter.

Why was Nietzsche so enamored with them? Was it just because they weren't Christian?

Since when did Veeky Forums become infested with /pol/ fags?

It's been a while, sadly

Avicenna seems to have been a good philosopher. Some Muslims, I assume, are good people