Bookshelf thread? I didn't see one in the catalog. Rate, recommend, or ridicule as you see fit

Bookshelf thread? I didn't see one in the catalog. Rate, recommend, or ridicule as you see fit.

>books on top of each other
get another book shelf

dude...

how come that animal farm is so huge?

it's animal farm and 1984 together in one book.

I expect you'd like A River Runs Through It and My Ántonia a lot.

its the unabridged version

NOOOOOOO!!! YOU FUCKING SON OF A BITCH!!!!

russlanddeutscher philosophiestudent?

If there was one president from the twentieth century that I would not read a four volume biography about, Lyndon B. Johnson would be right at the top - after Gerald Ford of course.

Not pictured: Don Quixotte, All quiet on the Western Front, Notes from Underground
From top to bottom: C&P, Meditations, Bible, V., Master and Margarita, Stranger+M.o.Sysyphus, Great Gatsby, Divine Comedy(selected parts), History of the Yugoslavs (pretty good book about the coming of South Slavs and up to 1930 -- written by a Yugoslav, so it is a little biased.)

I mostly take books from the library.

About half my books are just laying on the floor though. I try not to shelve until I've read.

Was the Alexiad any good?

This is the gayest meme Veeky Forums has ever spawned.

Where did you get that I read the Alexiad?

>materialism

just like ebooks man

>genre fiction and filler books
>infinite meme

kill yourself

books on top are to-reads and some currently reading.

you didn't read being and time and infinite jest

at least those two

I did. I haven't read:

* The Kant book
* Everything to the right of The Odyssey, inclusive
* Hopscotch of Brothers K
* The Alexiad
* Leviathan

Other than that I think I've read everything there, at most I'm missing two or three things.

*or

Did you play in the Denver orchestra?

>reading more than one book at a time

Why do people do this?

that was the lady. she played in a youth orchestra that went over to europe. right now shes working on a piatti piece, bachs 5th suite, and gigs here and there.

because the old testament gets really dry at times.

2/6

3/6

4/6

>5 copies of the same book

5/6

>Wasting that much money on Shakespeare when you can easily buy the complete works as a single book.

>wasting any money on books ever when you can get PDFs for free online

Everyone ITT is a sucker, that's what I call getting tricked by a business

6/6

maybe different languages/translations

How much reading did you have to do before reading Heidegger's Being and Time?

Did you understand the book? I want to read it but I'm afraid it might be too advanced for me.

Nope

Yep. In order:
Carson, Ciardi, Hollander, Mandelbaum, Merwin, Pinsky, Sinclair, Singleton

The complete editions are annoying to carry around and harder to read. Paper tends to be thin and text small. I much prefer individual copies.

I didn't understand it at all and I sincerely doubt most of the people who've read it have either. Which is weird, because Being and Nothingness was crystal clear, as is Kierkegaard.

Ah, I thought so..

Thanks for the honesty user

WHAT IS IN THE MYSTERIOUS PACKAGE?!

Is it money?

So don't read it.
Why would you read something you don't like?

people read for a lot of reasons. im not going to look down on anyone who reads for pleasure, but this book is too culturally and historically important for me not to read. it's referenced constantly.

i probably fucked up picking up the KJV and shouldve maybe opted for a different translation but im already to the book of ruth so im sticking with it.

im reading a lot of things at the moments and depending on the mood and appetite, i cant read all of them at any given moment. if im looking for some mindless scifi, ill read horus heresy shit fanfiction. still fun, still reading.

Nobody cares you narcisistic cucks

I've read a bible for kids, which was still a whooping 800 pages or so when I was in school, and thats all I need to get the references.
You get enough knowledge of the bible from pop culture, and from reading other shit.
I could probably tell you most of the stories even if I had never read them in the first place.

Last one.

A healthy mix of fun and tryhard, I'd rate you highly if not for the Freakonomics and Trump.

Thanks. Trump is only there so I can say I've read him, for the sake of current events. Freakonomics is there because I can't make myself finish it and delete it.

What phone do you have? I've lost my eReader and im considering using my laptop as a substitute. doesnt it strain ur eyes

Galaxy S5. App is Aldiko. You can adjust the font and colors. I like it a lot.

Ha my room looked like this for a couple years

OP good but you lack the essential Mr. Clemens.

Holy fuck tho.

been helping my dad sort through his spares/overflow penguin cupboard, it's just a dumping ground for penguin books he's accumulated in with other books he was buying

first: hauling a load out to start with

some more recent stuff accumulating to one side

having taken all that out this is still left behind, although these are fairly sorted already from whenever this was last done

sheesh thats insane.. ur dad is Veeky Forums af

So this thread actually became a bit more active? First pic I posted was when I dusted of my shelves and therefore put our books on the floor. This is how it usually looks like.

i wish i had a dad

hi

>Flight to Lucifer

pls tell me what it's like, user

nerd alert!

nnngh

CLEAN YOUR FUCKING ROOM

Does he work for penguin

No.

you don't have that many books?

Alright fine, I cleaned it, but nothing in the picture changed.

nnnngh...so jelly you have those princeton editions of the comedy
;____;

[1/4]

*whoops

[2/4]

[3/4]

[4/4]

Forgot one of the shelves

Back row on both shelves is all Warhammer 40,000 novels.

Rate my shit up, senpai

You didn't finish the Harry Potter series?

stop posting this

im reading gödel escher bach right now

I feel Like that isn't actually your shelf and is just people shitposting because of how often It shows up. But if it is, how is white trash zombie?

you're missing out big time

very post apocalyptic

I got the first one entirely on the strength of the cover, and ended up liking it.The zombie stuff is like a gimmick, the heart of the book is about this complete fuck-up getting her life together. It's like a less good Martin Millar novel. The rest of the series kinda gets away from that and focuses more on the zombie stuff, which I'm not crazy about. At this point I'm reading the new books just for the 50 pages that are actually about the main character working to improve her life.

Does anyone cover hardback sleeves with the plastic they put on them in libraries/collector shops? I want to know where to get some for some old books with ripped covers.

>its a shelf with just tryhard shit and no fun genre fiction

How much of a poser can you be?
And yet, how few people witness your posing?

ngghHGHH
all of them so sexy

jelly

>I probably fucked up picking up the KJV
U kidding? The KJV is the version of the Bible that's affected the West the most (other than the original Greek, Hebrew, and Latin of course). It has its share of mistranslations but it's language is stellar. The Oxford and other translations are better for religious or spiritual reasons, but based on your reason for reading the Bible the KJV seems the best way to go.

Lots of memery. No Greeks? Weak cunt

A colonist

Because its on the bottom row of your bookshelf

nope, not connection

some of the pelican shelves, these are two deep

>not connection
no connection

Has he actually read all of these or does he just collect?

with the Pelicans it's mostly collecting, i'd guess he reads fewer than pelicans 10 a year. Books shown in the pic above represent far less than half of his pelicans.

some of the observers books (these are down the hall, so hard to photograph)

In my case, I have a short attention span. I hop between 2-3 books at most

I don't understand. Why would someone collect cheap penguin paperbacks? They're meant for reading.