Fantasy is a dead horse for literature. The only way to experience the genre nowdays is through comics/manga...

Fantasy is a dead horse for literature. The only way to experience the genre nowdays is through comics/manga. Prove me wrong

I can't prove you wrong because your thesis is meaningless.

name of the wind
a song of ice and fire

fantasy has never been a better genre

/thread. You validated my point.

Why are those books bad?

Hasn't this been true since the 80s?

>those books
>good

lel

comics and mangas are so much worse from an intellectual standpoint, they are at best light entertainment, maybe some mangas are a little deeper but still way too flashy and unrealistic most of the times to be enjoyable if you're not a child.
The name of the wind is one of the best written fiction stories I've read and the song of ice and fire is compelling and realistic (and by realistic I mean it works in that universe)

what's your critique about these books? I take it you read them

So they therefore must be the perfect medium for such low brow genres

>is

was. always has. always will be.

comics and manga are fantasy, too.

yes I do find them good. You're probably just one of these people who think famous books can't be good and you rather take some niche book that's bad but you seem intelligent in choosing it.
Tell me what fantasy books you find good and let me hear you criticise my choices instead of making a stupid comment with a picture.

no, you can also experience the genre through video-games

/thread

>inb4 op buttflustered damage control

You sound dumb.

> comics and mangas are so much worse from an intellectual standpoint

This is the problem, there is not intellectual redeeming value in fantasy nowdays, not even in prose, but comics and manga gives you at least beautiful illustrations. But what i prefer about comics vs books is that they provide a more innovative story-wise medium that books. Yes, they are usually very dull compared to good books, but not if we are comparing them to fantasy books.

nowadays? I think lord of the rings for example is way worse in complexity and consistency in the universe compared to modern fantasy books. While fantasy books aren't the best books, I think they improved in quality rather than declined as many other genres have

>Prove me wrong

Isekai genre.

Checkmate.

>The name of the wind is one of the best written fiction stories I've read

>people actually responding to this bait seriously

Your mistaken assumption is that LOTR is not as good because it's less "realistic" and morally relativist, missing the point of the work which was the creation of a mythology. Important influences for Tolkien are medieval romances, the Bible and Catholic sensibilities in general, together with usually mentioned norse myths.
I definitely do not agree that Tolkien would be superior writer if he wrote like Martin, they have completely different aims.

>I think lord of the rings for example is way worse in complexity and consistency in the universe compared to modern fantasy books

Trying too hard here.

For some reason, older fantasy (meaning from hundreds of years ago) just seems so much darker, more mystical and cooler.

Maybe it's because people back then kind of/sort of believe in more fantastical things. And fantasy was a more vivid representation of their fears and desires.

Exactly. They're not thinking like modern fantasy writers who write knowing full well of how the genre is supposed to be.

read the introduction or whatever it's called and tell me it's not good

but it destroys the immersion of a stroy for me if it stops to make any sense. Like the eagle plot point and so on.

how is that trying too hard?

>nowdays
but Berserk started in 1992 or something like that

and fantasy manga nowadays are almost all "I was just a regular highschool kid until I was suddenly transported to this world" with the least imaginative, least authentic feeling, most derivative rpg-fantasy settings imaginable

>muh meme eagles

If you stop being dumb for a second, you will know the reason why.

And yet ...
> Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

>still not bringing arguments

well I can't say I didn't try to understand you

Explain why that's a bad sentence.

You do know that Berserk is pretty much going down the same path of moeblobage, Isekai BS that ruined fantasy in Japan.

Compared with Western fantasy like Wolfe, The Dark Tower, etc, and modern classics like The Vorrh, Berserk is pure shit.

>The Vorrh
Is not a bad sentence, is a bad book.
> Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

People like Berserk only due to its Western aesthetics anyway.
Although I'd take "ruined fantasy in Japan" claim with a grain of salt. Light Novels aren't the only thing that get written.

Explain why it's a bad sentence.

Manga and comics are both fucking terrible, and getting worse because of moe-blobbing and SJW, respectively.

What manga should I read if I want really deep, lore-dripping gothic fantasy?

Not necessarily high fantasy with tons of highfalutin lore all over the place all the time, just a really deep-feeling setting. I always thought Berserk seemed like this, but I never understood how to approach Berserk in terms of translations, editions, movies, etc.

>tfw bought for my little sister the Hobbit the other day

:^)

>bought

Oh yeah, I remember how the Tolkien's books will never be public domain because of Disney.

Manga has gotten worse, I agree. I can't think of a single good fantasy manga produced in the last ten years. They are all rehashing ideas from the previous decade.

But I disagree with OP. I'm holding out hope that soon, maybe not in the next few years but soon- there will be some well written fantasy.

> But I disagree with OP. I'm holding out hope that soon
So you disagree and at the same time acepts that there is nothing worth in the present. Cool logic.

Good. Now I can use my amateurish drawings to mask my inability to write.

Fantasy is the fundamental changes needed to create new narratives. New laws of physics can bring about alien metaphors. New cultures can create interesting juxtapositions. If you can avoid an overly derivative cosmology and Tolkien worship, if you strive to make legitimate characters instead of using standard tropes and archetypes, you'll can create as great a work as any before it.

daily reminder that griffith did nothing wrong

>unrealistic
>fantasy

you still have to buy things in the public domain if you want a physical copy, it's just anyone can publish it if they wish, so the hobbit could end up on a website theoretically (and definitely will, when it reaches public domain status)
also, I know you're alluding to mickey mouse's unusual copyright extension but what does that have to do with tolkien? His works are still under the normal statute of copyright law (they haven't gotten special treatment like Disney works-- yet) and I don't think Disney owns the rights.

Your first mistake was thinking of fantasy as a singular entity.

Also, the people who say 'fantasy is all Tolkien ripoffs" dont actually read fantasy, thats hardly the problem these days

>ywn live in a world where fantasy fans religiously read borges instead of tolkien

Thanks to Disney, it takes longer and longer for a work to be in public domain.

Tolkien dosent need to be public domain

>brackets behind realistic
>not reading the information in brackets
>literally wat

I bet you read pynchon and dfw in which case you should remove thyneself from the premises.

>You're probably just one of these people who think famous books can't be good

Moby Dick has sold millions of copies. A fantasy novel about a malevolent albino whale. In twenty years nobody will be talking about GRRM or Rothfus, but people will still read and enjoy Melville. If you fell for the "Hurr durr you only hate fantasy because it's popular" meme then there's no point discussing anything with you.

OP is right

Berserk
Nausicaa
Hellboy
Sandman
Hunter x Hunter
A lot of Alan Moore works
Dark Horse's Conan Run

are great

First post best post.

Sauron would have killed the eagles. Once the ring was destroyed, it was safe for them to approach the tower.

>Tyrion reflected on the men who had been Hand before him, who had proved no match for his sister’s wiles. How could they be? Men like that... too honest to live, too noble to shit, Cersei devours such fools every morning when she breaks her fast

>She was sopping wet when he entered her. “Damn you,” she said. “Damn you damn you damn you.” He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her cunt became the world.

>And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast

>The three men were erect. The sight of their arousal was arousing

>Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night

Worthwhile fantasy manga are hard to come by, especially gothic fantasy.

You were right with your Berserk inclination and the best way to consume is to watch the 97 show then read the manga. After you've read that there's Devilman and Guin Saga, two of the most notable influences of Berserk.

Explain why those are bad sentences.

>The sight of their arousal was arousing

Would you call that good?

I want you to explain why every sentence you have quoted is bad.

>eagle plot point

What do you mean by this?

Not that user if you need me to tell you why

>The sight of their arousal was arousing.

is bad than you should probably just leave this board.

That's a poor analogy because Moby-Dick was an utter flop at the time of release. It's famous now for being good. I'm pretty sure user was asking about legitimately famous in their own time, not after the fact wherein the chances are pretty high the book will be good if it's famous.

So come up with an actual analogy that works, I guess.

Why do you think it's bad?

Thanks bro.

If I can add: Is there any default translation I should use?