I'm visiting Wisconsin over the next few weeks and I was wondering some must-have cheese brands to pick up...

I'm visiting Wisconsin over the next few weeks and I was wondering some must-have cheese brands to pick up. Anything goes. Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

rothcheese.com/
wisconsincheesemasters.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't have much advice but here is a photo I took at a cheese/ice cream place in cranberry country

Kraft sharp cheddar

The one shaped like a cow is cute, thanks for the pic.

Why is it all pre-packaged? Please tell me that at least in Wisconsin there are actual bonafide cheese shops that will cut to weight from a block?

what are those tannish things in the lower left? Are they cheese curds or something similar? Cause I love those.

I'm from Wisconsin and I only buy the Bucky badger cheese from the grocery store, basically only sharp cheddar. But there are specialty cheese stores all over to get whatever you want

If you happen to be driving across central WI a stop in Thorp might worthwhile to visit Holland Family Farms. They make a bunch of excellent variations on Gouda. Probably the only WI cheesemaker I've found to actually live up to the hype. Quality is excellent and prices are less than outrageous.

/thread

If you're going to Madison, stop by this place on the square called Fromagination. High quality cheese store, the best stuff you'll find in Wisconsin easily.

Wisconsin cheese is overrated trash.
I don't know what they are putting in it, but I have never had a cheese from Wisconsin that wasn't oily, plastic garbage. It is not a good cheese producing area, merely the largest cheese producing area in the US.

You just haven't had good cheese lol

yes this was the curd/shaped/string cheese section, they do have a section (no photo) of the "real" cheese with all the bells and whistles

those are some kind of flavored cheddar curd, maybe red pepper

rothcheese.com/

Piggly Wiggly white cheddar curds. They come in packs of 0.75 lbs. Best shit ever. Although recently I think they swapped them out with other shit because I couldn't find their brand anywhere last time I went

it's not for everyone, but I really like leipajuusto. you saute it in some butter and it ends up somewhere between a cheese curd and a grilled cheese sandwich. it's apparently hard to find outside of the upper midwest

edelweiss is a good brand to look for

I believe henning's is pretty good as well. if it is them I'm thinking of, then I like their monterey since it actually has flavor.

Cheese factories always smell like a sweaty asshole.

Tilamook

i know im a fat shit when that cheese looks fucking delicious

That's Oregon, dum dum.

>american '''''''''''''''''''chese'''''''''''''''''''

skip it. wisconsin cows arent happy like california cows.

Is that from mars cheese castle?

If you're going to be anywhere near north-central wisconsin, be sure to stop in to Mullins Cheese. Its in Knowlton, past Mosinee, just off Highway 51. They have bomb-ass fresh white cheddar curds and shredded parm. I make the trip once a month just to get the shredded parm for use in recipes. The fresh curds are amazing too, always packaged there on site same day. I know I sound like a dirty shill but my dad always took me there whenever we traveled together and it still gives me happy feels when i go in there amd the smell hits me and i remember when he was still around.

Go visit Renard's Cheese in between Sturgeon Bay and Green Bay. Amazing fucking cheese and cheese curds.

all you people need to visit England

>OBSESSED

why are you obsessed with making shitty cheese?

When you think of American cheese you need to widen our view. From Wisconsin, the mid west and out to the coasts there are artisan cheese producers putting their heart and soul into their craft.
From delicious blue cheese from California to cave aged cheddar from Vermont these people are genuine craftsman with a jest for perfection.
And then you can sit back and laugh, because all cheese produced in the USA is objectively, fucking shit.

America produces some decent cheeses, the problem is in order to actually SELL it here, it has to be pasteurized.

Jesus christ this shit is so good. It's $8 at my local grocery store but it's worth it.

Dairy is all we have fuck off back to commiefornia with your disneytowns and hollyworlds

Don't waste your money on cheese. Spend it on as much Spotted Cow as you can carry.

Where is the cheese on this picture?

Check out Carr Valley cheese. I usually stop at the one in Mauston. You can get curds that were made that morning. So fucking good. So squeaky.

Serious, why is it that America can't into cheese?

Seriously, it can. Then again, the oldest cheese makers in the country only go back 100 or so years, so you aren't going to find anything quite so refined as some of the better French cheeses.

It's definitely on par with anything made in GB and Scandinavia.

There's another cheese shop in Madison called Brennan's Market. Awesome selection, including a lot of their own cheese.

For me, the highlight was this 10-year-aged cheddar. I'd never had a cheddar like it. Magnificent.

>It's definitely on par with anything made in GB

Spotted the Californian. Fuck off, "America's Dairyland" is our title.

Ah yes, Great Britain, the land known for being just-not-quite-as-fat as America and for luxury cuisine...

Perhaps you're trolling, but both of those things are true.

>but both of those things are true.
Yea, if bragging about being 1 BMI behind America and counting Scotch as luxury cuisine counts as truth

I've been to Europe, what you guys call cheese is laughable at best

You know what? Fuck you. The UK has an awesome tradition of making excellent cheeses. Pic related.

Not interested unless it comes in individually wrapped slices.

>Blue Stilton
>Blue cheese
Not much of a cheese shop is it

Brennan's is awesome. try the Skip's Whips. they also have a morel and leek cheese that's pretty good

Sargento

>10-year-aged cheddar

How did I not know such a thing existed?

Stay obsessed, irrelevant

Yup, what he said. Comstock makes good cheese and fresh curds as well.

>RIP in peace, user.
>Got butthurt and memed upon

i did, it was fun after you get used to the smell

Humbird Cheese Mart

>RIP in peace

Retard.

>hates America
>uses American girl to avatarfag

Hang out at some local bars and ask where they get their cheese. That's how I ended up going to a farm and buying 12 year old cheddar and other nice things from the source. Free tour as well. Helps if you're white and very polite, I won't lie.

RIP in piss Anons humor. We hardly knew ye.

Oath. user knows of what he speaks. Visit the mouse in Fennimore, Headless Woman for lunch.

Wisconsinite here, most people here just eat the regular packaged cheese you see in any supermarket. There are some artisan cheese stores that make excellent cheese, but not many.

If you visit door county near Green Bay check out this place, they have amazing award winning cheese:

wisconsincheesemasters.com/

You should also try cheese curds. If you get fresh cheese curds that haven't been refrigerated, they actually squeak when you eat them. This blew my mind since I'm a big cheese eater and never knew that fresh cheese actually squeaks when you eat it. I'm talking about room temp curds, not fried cheese curds which are a big Wisconsin thing.