It's the little things in life that make it worth living xDDD

>it's the little things in life that make it worth living xDDD

fuck this tumblr-core book and fuck you for thinking it's even in the top 100 most important

wew bud

It's a divine work of art. Greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose. Towers above the rest of Joyce's writing. Noble originality, unique lucidity of thought and style. Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book. Love it for its lucidity and precision.

Isn't this novel scene as sexist by some feminists though?

eye don't no

every book is seen as sexist by some feminists

even other feminist texts

>be me, james joyce
>be visionary author
>work hard every day
>scrutinize every detail, work endlessly
>use all academic prowess and knowledge and intellect (which is god-tier)
>spend seven years writing magnus opus
>literally re-define novel
>ff 90 years later
>be long dead
>meanwhile there exists shitposter
>shitposter reads a few books a year
>tries to write for five minutes and circlejerks in critique threads
>literally bottom of the barrel even on Veeky Forums
>shitposter is infuriated that his intellect, at its height, doesnt even touch my toenails
>shitposts about me, calls my book shit without any actual criticisms
>literally just expects everyone to care
>pretends to be well-read
>mfw

fucking tired of these shitposts

Something about its general tray mentioned of sexualit being one sided.
But I suppose you're right.

Downloaded the book (because I'm broke) and just about to start reading it, what am I in for senpai? I don't usually browse Veeky Forums as I don't read much literature, last book being Sculpting In Time.

dont read ulysses if you don't read much literature. you'll be bored and hate the book and shitpost about it.

an arse full of farts

I'm generally interested in reading it, I'm going in blind but all I know is that it's a seminal work of modernism. I have patience if that's what you might be referring to?

other than handful of books there's nothing you "absolutely have to read" before ulysses, but you must be familiar, in a general sense, with the western canon. someone who has only read 50 - 100 "classics" would get very little out of ulysses. you can certainly read it but it will just feel like
>le quirky allusions xD
>little things in life xDDDD
>who am i referencing now? teehee ill never tell
like the shitposts you see on Veeky Forums, because that's exactly what it comes across as if you don't care as much about "literature as joyce does. there's nothing wrong with that, but it just means ulysses isn't the book for you.

So if I have little education in literature or prose, is it possible I could still enjoy the book for what it is even though I may not acknowledge most of what is really going on?

corncob chronicler

yes
but it'll take a ton of patience

Dubliners is better.

Very happy to try then.

You're corny as fuck

What do you think about Finnegans Wake?

But thats all lit criticism. Personally, I don't like it because it's a boring, unengaging read with terrible prose.

A formless and dull mass of phony folklore, a cold pudding of a book. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. Detest it. A cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue hardly redeems the dreadful joviality of the folklore and the easy, too easy, allegory. Indifferent to it, as to all regional literature written in dialect. A tragic failure and a frightful bore.

One would like to have filmed him at night, sniffing Nora's farts.

good luck.

don't be afraid to look things up/read chapter synopsis to orient yourself

>lucidity
>lucidity
>lucidity
lel

> character is hungry
> better make all his thoughts into culinary metaphors
> "He thinks that woman is a piece of meat!"

brutal psychology

he's just showing off his dilettante knowledge, the fact that Nabokov didn't slam Ulysses as a "literature of ideas" proves that Nabokov was a complete hack as a critic

>it's a boring, unengaging read with terrible prose.

you have the right to believe this but you're objectively wrong just so you know

>be faggot
>see someone dislike my god
>role play as my god (dream come true)
>and proceed to make no actual attempt to refute his claim
Faggot

>xDDD

what is it with underaged faggots and thinking I'm impressed by this

Fuck off you immature faggot.

>cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue

pretty much your post senpai

What are you referring to?

I read it while also reading The New Bloomsday. This helped a lot. Ulysses is an amazing book but it takes work but also worth the work you put into it.

Have you just seen the school of life vid?

>it's the little things in life that make existence possible xDDDD

fuck this tumblr-core book and fuck you for thinking it's even in the top 100 most important

incomprehensible jack-off bullshit for pretentious scientists stuck up their own ass

>teehee?? what am I referencing now? Bohr or Einstein's theories I'LL NEVER TELL

If a book refers to things I don't know about, it's automatically the author's fault. It's my duty to tell all the people who understood more of it than I did and found it a good book to say that they're pretentious jack-offs, not to put aside the book and blame my own failings instead of the author's, refusing to cast judgment on it since I'm clearly not smart enough to understand it. I completely MUST get mad over it, too, instead of just not caring about a book I can't understand.

>Buck Mulligan
>"...well he's plump!"
>guy he's based off, Oliver St. John Gogarty, looks like this

wtf Joyce

Topkek

Objective truths sure are facts in literary opinion

>dem plump cheeks

tip top kek

but all the bigger things are a construct of little things, so it's the things in life that make it worth living, not the little or big, my nigga, if you may

read it blind right now and then in twenty (or a hundred) years after reading (a reasonable selection of) the entirety of the western canon read it again

newfag cunt
lestrygonians, presumably. which is more generally about the bodily flesh than just Bloom being hungry and sprucing it all up in 'culinary metaphor,' of course.