Penguin finally decides to pick up the works of de Sade

>Penguin finally decides to pick up the works of de Sade
>we are finally liberated from shitty versions
>this is the cover

On a related note, why hasn't there been any proper English versions of the works of de Sade (aside from those thick Grove Press collections)?

wow that's a dope cover.

What's wrong with the other versions?

Neat. St. Peter's cross is neat

looks like a 60s art piece
gross

m8 you can't buy a decent copy of the quintessence of debauchery and that doesn't even need translating.
Fuckin' grey ones ruin everything.

show me the one for justine

whats better?
100 years of solitude or 120 days of sodom

>>we are finally liberated from shitty versions
uh, buddy, i think you should know that's not the case unless they took even more out than he didn't write

220 Eons of Solitude and Sodom

sounds like my kind of book

just get this one

is Coil the most Veeky Forums band?

That's a fucking nice cover.

That's a Man Ray photograph. I think it's okay. It's often weird when publishers try to use actual works of historical art for covers to books.

It's one of the only nice covers in the Penguin Deluxe Classics Line. Genuinely impressed it's in the same category as this schlock.

Nice Petrine cross

their music sounds like something off the runescape OST

lmfao dat Communist Manifesto cover, wtf

I've always loved the Petrine cross because it actually holds an even humbler aspect of it than a regular cross. Peter didn't think himself worthy enough to even die in the manner of Christ and wearing the Petrine Cross plays into that.

My local Catholic Church has them on the alter. Some tombstones at the cemetery have them too

They really like comics too for some reason

wtf
I blame america's odd adult-still fascination with cartoons for this
i am revolted

IN MY UTOPIA there would be communism and every single book would be the same one-coloured minimalistic DDR-looking anti-capitalist leather-bound edition with a small simple typeface spelling out the title and author
damnit things were better then. none of this "appeal to the sales" shit. books would be boring looking and that's how it SHOULD BE.

not even being ironic.

>not appreciating a Hobbesian Leviathan proclaiming law from on high as the ultimate manifestation of political sovereignty and stability
utterly plebian
He would require all books to be issued in leatherbound only to the aristocratic class. Only real literature would be bound, all producers of shit writing would be immediately enslaved.

The literature of edgelords since it's inception. Literally trash that people read so they can say that they've read it.

Actually, I'd go so far as to say that a large percentage of de Sade purchases just sit on the shelf in a very conspicuous way.

The upside down cross is viewed as satanic by most (as of now) because of symbolical inversion.
Ever wonder why there's two different pentagrams, one upright and one upside-down? Why would satanist need two different symbols to convey the same thing? Well, originally the upright one symbolized the five wounds of christ (among other "good" things), the upside down one was thus an inversion (whatever that would mean, fuck if I really know how it's suddenly evil if we're talking about the wounds of christ here. It's really all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about magic as far as I can tell, but still), but nowadays (most) people the world over view them both as representing satan.

It's all about interpretation/perspective, is all I'm saying. That image just irks me, it seems like it was made by a smart-ass 14 year old.

Nah son, it reads like it was made by a based student in seminary school, prepping himself to do the lord's work

too flashy

Tbh I have a legit scat fetish and his stuff is among what few pieces of well-written literature there are to slake my thirst.

Aside from Joyce's letters and that one scene in Gravity's Rainbow.

Read Mozart's letters

its an upside down cross you fucking pretentious faggot. stop trying to sound so sophisticated you piece of swine shit

>why hasn't there been any proper English versions of the works of de Sade
Actually oxford put out at least 3 of his books in english.

based OWC

>Actually, I'd go so far as to say that a large percentage of de Sade purchases just sit on the shelf in a very conspicuous way.

You could say that for most if not all of the books discussed here. There was some study where a coupon was placed inside new books, in the last few pages. You could mail the coupon in and receive a cash prize, yet few people did so leading the researchers to believe that the books were never read all the way through.

My aunt slipped dollar bills into the bible she gave me for a similar reason.

Seconding this. What on earth is supposed to be wrong with Grove press/etc?

Truly the symbol of humillity

>On a related note, why hasn't there been any proper English versions of the works of de Sade (aside from those thick Grove Press collections)?

Because they're shit. de Sade is only notable for the time he was writing it. If he were to write any of this today he'd be dismissed as a vapid edgelord and rightfully so. There's absolutely no substance to him, it's all just subversion for the sake of shock value.

brb just going to flick through all my unread books.
>inb4 your entire library xd

Not entirely true. At the time, he was a necessary corrective to Rousseau's optimism about human goodness and remains so today.

tbf most people don't innately connect the two. Most courses just present Rousseau as his own vessel or juxtapose him to Hobbes. It'd be interesting for a course to cover both Rousseau and de Sade

>I haven't read a word of De Sade.

Do you always state the fucking obvious?

Now, user, don't be so rude.
Play nice with your new friend here.

>how dare you discuss something on a discussion board

You're only buying it to be edgy anyway, it's not a work of significant merit

Might as well put a red swastika on the cover

>mfw everyone who thinks they're being edgy Satanist are really just glorifying St. Peter and the Church he founded

No wonder the Church is so powerful, it's given a mystical boost every time some edgy little shit posts on DeviantART.

holy fuck america
how did this happen

came to post this

Occasionally they spit out something nice, if disconnected from the work.

100 years has fap material, but 120 days has better fap material.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGGG

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

why is it THE Marquis de Sade?

Because it is THE king and THE prime minister etc.