He said that scientists are not the "cool-headed logicians" they are presented to be in the media and cultural canon...

He said that scientists are not the "cool-headed logicians" they are presented to be in the media and cultural canon. It is merely a power process. Often just by people who have no other physical prowess. Was he right? Okay, since you agree, why do you study? I seriously hope you aren't a technology-enabler.

>He said that scientists are not the "cool-headed logicians" they are presented to be in the media and cultural canon.
But I am since I have anhedonia.

Successful scientists - meaning the ones that after the PhD and 5 years post doc get tenure and years later a Professor position for life - are clever dedicated people who can talk like businessman if necessary.
The "cold logican scientist" is the year long friend of that scientist, who has even higher scientific skill but ends up earning 1/3 of this guys pay, and travel expenses, and marries the ugly relatable female scientist from the group 3 doors down.
If you're an autist, don't expect to get far. Can you give a prep talk to get money for your group in front of 50 important people?

>scientists
>physical prowess
wat

>Was he right?
I studied software engineering, but my ex was a PhD candidate in biology, my boss is a PhD in the philosophy of data, and I work among archaeologists. If anything, those people seem to have more emotional problems than the general population. It's as if they try to compensate for them by being high achievers.

Even in sciences harder than biology, you can look at people like Einstein, Grothendieck and Erdos. None of them lived particularly stable lives. Erdos abused amphetamines and Einstein married his first cousin after getting himself into a tumultuous first marriage.

>Okay, since you agree, why do you study?
I studied for my career, though I can't find it in myself to finish my bachelor's even though I only have one course left. The closer I get to the end, the more vacuous careerism seems. It's difficult to even justify a career as a means for providing for my family, seeing as families have a habit of going out of fashion in the economically developed parts of the world. I don't want to marry some broad who's only interested in earning money for its own sake.

Yes, Terrence McKenna said a lot of stupid things.

To be a successful scientist you simply NEED to understand and exploit the social component of working in a scientific community. You need to know people and present your ideas convincingly. It's not so much a consequence of the science becoming more and more "soft", but a consequence of the increasing complexity of most branches. You simply cannot get anywhere on your own these days. You need collaboration. I'm extremely introverted myself and have a very hard time dealing with those matters, but I understand that it's necessary. Someone who honestly criticizes this dynamic obviously feels frustrated with his own incapabilities. It's easy to come to the conclusion that it's all bullshit instead, especially if you still have some illusions about being some kind of unrecognized Einsteineqsque genius that only needs to be given a chance etc.

>Einstein married his first cousin
>implying you wouldn't if you could get away with it

Most successful scientists I met are approachable and friendly. Unlike Veeky Forums they have social and mental skills

>He said
>Ted Kaczynski
good source

>better known for other works

>present your ideas convincingly
working on it, still hard at times

How do I integrate into the culture when I have non-mainstreaning thinking patterns?
>nerd
>math/cs grad only for the test of skill and crit thinking skills
>gamer
>stoner
>sk8er
>musician

>How do I integrate into the culture when I have non-mainstreaning thinking patterns?

By getting over yourself
>I also have hobbies

There are enough people in the scientific community who are weirdos. In fact some of the things you mentioned are very widespread hobbies, like music, and gaming unfortunately. Also stop thinking you are a special snowflake, you are not, you are fucking nobody.

The important part is that you just can somehow talk to people. I can't, I'm a social awkward mess and every social gathering of any kind feels like psychological torture to me. But if you can just make some small talk, maybe make a few jokes here and there, you'll be fine. Also being able to wear a shirt and wash yourself is pretty important. But believe me, the standards are not particularly high.

>hobbies
>lifestyles

>Einsteineqsque genius reporting then

Seriously tho I do seem I get resistance when trying I join discussions or just chat. People I've meet are either stick in the ass rude, high level and busy, or too smart and have no functional social life. It may just be the people I meet. I'll usually get in the odd really smart person who I wouldn't want to be friends/coworkers with ethically cause of how they act/are presenting. I may still be a green horn but some advice would be appreciated to tread in this abyss of knowledge.

You don't actually need to be best friends with everyone dude. Just assimilate your behaviour to the people you deal with. It's not that hard, but you need to get your obviously huge ego out of the way. As the other user put it: Get over yourself.

Yes.

Not all """scientists""" are like this. Agreeing with ONE statement of Ted doesn't mean I am agreeing with all of them, obviously. Modern scientists are corrupt, specialized bastards with split schizophrenic minds, who fear ever being thrown away by society. Their fear is so great, they have no interest in science, truth, logic, consistency, they only care about appearances, the corrupt Academia and money. They have a middle class mentality, not a noble one. They hate talking on the internet, they avoid questions, they avoid interested fellow scientists, they avoid philosophy etc. Everything on the media is based on actor skills, man is being pulled away and far from his natural philosophical observer state. The modern man is taught to masturbate, to consume, to accept ads and information pollution, to be positive about his life, to live in the city where raising ONE child costs him half a million dollars. In his schizo-pleasure, man will be enslaved and abused... Killed whilst he thinks he lives a great life.

Did a scientist touch you as a child or what

>using an online chinese cartoons imageboard (the most degenerate form of technology) to pretentiously pontificate on the dorm-room philosophy of an anti-technology anarcho-primitivist who went crazy from the stress of academia and went on to kill a bunch of people
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

>best friends with everyone
Dude, I actively avoid this.

>get your obviously huge ego out of the way. As the other user put it: Get over yourself.
Spend your life being told every day by your huge, black, christian family

"You are 110% better than everyone"
"You're a genius"
"What you touch is gold"

Been a /b/tard /d/ane since 08

cientists are calculators not logicians most logicians are language orinted

>lists a bunch of mainstream hobbies
>is a 20 year old white male from a middle class family
>family/grants/loans pay for everything while they waste their time smoking and playing vidya
>claims to be non-mainstream

>is a 20 year old white male
I WISH.

Kinda true, except for the spooky-tier geniuses. They make their own rules.

Did someone get rejected from a research programme by his prof?

>meme youtuber
>meme model

the memes are real

The fact is, most scientist's legacy is nothing more than a dull catalogue of common things. They either lack big ideas or they're too afraid to challenge existing paradigms due to social scrutiny. They play politics and fade into obscurity, but not before getting flair on reddit to impress non scientists.

>randomly bringing up reddit for no real reason
The obsession is real.

Butthurt failed scientist

>/pol/ raids Veeky Forums for emotional validation for the 100th time today