>waste time reading genre fiction

so i gather it's not worth reading further

Amazing comment. Really made me think.

>1965
>starwars ripoff
waht

i was quoting the info graphic

The ones by Frank Herbert (alone)

Dune, messiah, children, and god emperor.

Personally I got bored halfway through messiah but the general consensus of dune fans is that those for are worth reading because frank wrote them and it was his vision. Then everything else was an attempt by his less creative son to cash in on what his dad did.

It's making a fair point. Dune is very much sci-fi genre fiction- it's good within its genre, but it doesn't transcend it at all and if you're used to well-written literature, you may find it unbearable. It's very much a popcorn movie, not great art.

>everything else
Wrong- there were two books after God Emperor also by Frank.

this chart is so dumb

>read dune
>if you still like it keep reading

this is the least helpful chart i've ever seen. it's clear you haven't read the expanded series so you cannot offer commentary on anything but the first 4 maybe 6 books but then why make the chart? this should be by someone who has read every dune book and suggests different combinations of original series and expanded series (like the prequels) to offer different reading experiences. ie a house atredis storyline, or a complete paul story, etc etc etc etc

nobody needs a chart to say "keep reading if you're enjoying yourself"

also - dune mostly sucks and i wouldn't reccomend anyone waste their time with more than the first book. the only reason i have any knowledge of the series is because i enjoyed them when i was younger

it is an informative chart

i have read the first one but don't know what the quality is each expanding set of frank books and it helped me a lot to decide what i'm likely to read

also it helpfully warns people to stay away from his disgrace of a son, which is always good

come on, there's always one tard who makes that joke, and there's always one tard who falls for it.

If you loved Dune for the story and the characters, read Messiah and Children.
If you love those and HAVE to get more, read God Emperor. It's weird.
If you... still need more read Heretics and Chapterhouse. I personally never finished Chapterhouse and can hardly recall what happens in Heretics. All of the magic was gone at that point.

I recommend reading to at least children, though. I think the first three are pretty solid.
Never read anything beyond these 6 books though.

Pretty accurate. Basically read 1-2 for a complete story. 3-4 if you want more. 5-6 if you want a story that I think is mostly irrelevant to the previous books and ends on a cliffhanger. That's where I stopped, I'm usually a huge nerd but the books that his son wrote sound awful.

Everyone hates the prequel books but I thoroughly enjoyed Butlerian Jihad.

>Muslims IIIIIIN SPAAAAAACE
Just read Quran m8

I disagree man. Some people will find Children to be a low point, but still appreciate God Emperor.

I think God Emperor is important and unique enough to merit a bit of extra effort. The payoff is an experience that is rare in literature.

AAAAGGGHHHHH!!!! WAATER????? MY ONE WEAKNESSSSS!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOooOOoOoOooooOOooOoooooooooooo. . . . . . .....

Wow! That was a close one! What kind of trouble will the Fremen get into next? Find out in the next instalment of Frank Herbert's DUNE!

No thank you. That's not how the book reads at all. It's Greek tragedy m8, with an absurd execution that mocks its own ambition.

ok hold up, let me just breed people to be temporally invisible

ok hold up, let me just make a prophesy

it says "you have aids"

jokes on you ive never had sex