Is mental illness the demons of today?

Is mental illness the demons of today?
>Dude it wasn't me doing it I was just possessed by bi-polar lmao

People who think mental illness is a psychiatric sham are on par with creationists who think modern physics is a fabrication to discount Yahweh. They don't have the slightest understanding of what we're talking about, nor do they put in the effort to find out.

Go fuck yourself.

t. guy who blames all his problems on the neurological jew

Bipolar is real and all but holy shit these people are such fucking dickheads. My friend with bipolar is always flaking on engagements because he's tired or took a nap or whatever and then when I tell him I'm too busy to chill for a legitimate reason like I have to work he gets extremely butthurt. Fucking bipolars.

t. guy who blames all his problems on the jew

What's the difference between someone who has a mental illness and someone who's just a dick?
Do we have enough of an understanding of consciousness to make the distinction?

I wouldn't know if psychiatry is "valid" or not, but it is simple to see that a system where people are encouraged to buy drugs to fix issues that may or may not be environmental is susceptible to corruption.

I don't think you need a thorough understanding of consciousness to under that the naked homeless guy with a raging boner who comes up to you and spends five minutes trying to convince you that elves that only he can see control the world is probably ill while Bob the middle manager who treats his employees like shit and throws a shitfit when they don't meet the sales figures probably isn't.

thats not being mean thats being sensitive

there are people with mental illness that are polite

It's both. He's very sensitive and then when he feels slighted he does mean things, like yell and insinuate that I'm a bad friend. Lashing out at people because you believe your emotions are the center of the universe is mean, regardless of how much emotional pain you're in.

>come to lab unprepared
>stress turns to panic internally
>onset of delirium
>psycho bitch D student lab partner shows true colours and whines it's not fair and I shouldn't come to lab if I'm sick
>vomit on her
>she starts crying
>I start laughing while screaming "Griffith!"
>start flipping around on the lab benches
>rip open the autoclave and start throwing hot gooey staphylococcus paste shouting "dinner is ready!"
>use my uninhibited lightning speed to shove lab shakers up every pussy in the class before anyone could escape
>start masturbating furiously over the assays
>lab coordinator tells me to save my semen yield for later because I've already been awarded full marks for participation
>mfw

My bipolar aunt thought at one point in her illness that my dad was a CIA agent sent to spy on her and she was also worried when, while in the hospital during a separate bipolar episode, she didn't have her passport with her (because it was at home) and she was convinced that a member of ISIS would steal it and use it to commit a terror attack, and that she'd be blamed for it. These are obviously not the actions and beliefs of someone with a regularly-functioning brain.

Demons cannot be seen on an FMRI scan while altered brain function most definitely can. The human brain is the most complicated structure in the universe and its components are governed by the same inviolable physical laws as everything else. It's therefore arguable as to whether anyone is responsible for their actions, given that every step in process of making a decision or taking an action is defined at the neural level by the switching of voltage-gated channels and the diffusion of ions none of which are free to 'choose' what they do, but we have enough free will threads so I won't continue. What's not arguable is that the processing function of the brain will obviously differ if the components (and ratios of such) are different from their values during normal functioning.

>My bipolar aunt thought at one point in her illness that my dad was a CIA agent sent to spy on her and she was also worried when, while in the hospital during a separate bipolar episode, she didn't have her passport with her (because it was at home) and she was convinced that a member of ISIS would steal it and use it to commit a terror attack, and that she'd be blamed for it. These are obviously not the actions and beliefs of someone with a regularly-functioning brain.

Well yeah, bipolar is a spectrum though and I'm mostly talking about people who are mostly functional and don't suffer from wild delusions but occasionally get really mad and lash out at people around them.

Screencappef

But what makes that an illness rather than her natural state?
If evolution has no intelligence behind it then there is no objectively correct state of being.

>I'm mostly talking about people who are mostly functional and don't suffer from wild delusions but occasionally get really mad and lash out at people around them.
they're probably not bipolar then. the disease has kind of been appropriated by people who are just generally emotionally unstable and has become somewhat of a meme illness. actual bipolar is serious shit and "mood swings" in the context of bipolar disorder doesn't mean what it means colloquially.

"I wasn't being loud, It was my autism."

Man you are just straight-up wrong. Psychotic episodes and paranoid delusions are not core diagnostic criteria for bipolar.

psychosis is the primary feature of mania and there isn't a single bipolar treatment regimen that doesn't include huge doses of antipsychotics

They should be

>psychosis is the primary feature of mania

Let's look at the diagnostic criteria for mania:

Three of the following must be consistently present:
>Inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
>Decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after 3 hours of sleep.)
>More talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking.
>Flights of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing.
>Increase in goal directed activity, or psychomotor acceleration.
>Distractibility (too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli).
>Excessive involvement in activities that have a high degree for painful consequences.(e.g., extravagant shopping, sexual adventures or improbable commercial schemes)

Seems pretty clear that manic episodes need not include psychosis, as you are insinuating, though psychosis may be present.

>there isn't a single bipolar treatment regimen that doesn't include huge doses of antipsychotics
For severe bipolar maybe. Plenty of people with less severe symptoms can function on medications other and anti-psychotics, like lamotrigine.