How would David Chang's cuisine change if he woke up tomorrow and no longer hated himself?

Would he still serve sea urchin semen?

Would he still make his bull penis porchetta?

Would mare labia ceviche with kimchi stink up your mouth in quite the same way?

I worry that we'll lose David Chang's tortured genius if he ever finds happiness.

What do you think?

I would wake up tomorrow and still not know who he is nor would I care.

>i'm ignorant of one of the most well known and well publicized chefs of the past decade
>better post about my ignorance and act superior because of it

Do you watch people play video games too?

Do you think Karlie Kloss broke David Chang's heart?

Is that what gave him the robot power level for his third Michelin star?

His last two ventures, Fuku/Fuku+ and Nishi, were both middling successes. Despite Eater continually sucking his dick, the Fuku chicken sandwich is not nearly as good as the chicken shack or even Chick Fil A, while Nishi has awful noise issues and is way too expensive for what you get. The impossible burger was a cool idea, but it's still not really as hopping (or as good) as ssam bar.

He also isn't the chef de cuisine at (new) Ko anyway. Sean Gray runs the show (and does an excellent job). Chang is a restaurateur, a one that's able to turn a profit, but he's not a tortured genius or anything.

Did David Chang steal your gf?

Hm? I go to ko yearly with my girlfriend and I like ssam bar a lot. I'm just not particularly enamored with his most recent ventures.

I wouldn't give him 2 cents of my money. His genius cereal milk dessert I have every morning with my breakfast cereal. I watched him on pbs and he was inventing dishes that have already been invented for hundreds of years. What a hack.

Mind of a Chef? His season, the first I think, is probably their weakest, although I feel bad blaming it on Chef Chang.

I'd let him bang my white gf though out of respect for his craft.

top kek

REKT STATUS:

[X] REKT
[ ] NOT REKT

Why do so many Asian men have that haircut?

Is he the Asian Australian guy? I thought he was Japanese

What? The practical buzz cut?

>I'm just not particularly enamored with his most recent ventures.
He's over a decade in to building a mini-empire that grew out of a failing idea for a ramen joint that he pivoted on a few months in to tremendous success. Not all of his ideas are going to be great ones. But he did help redefine dining out in the East Village, and to a lesser extent NYC in general. Today he's messing around with fast food (like Danny Meyer) and even a delivery service. At a certain point running the empire becomes less about innovative food and more about expanding the brand so you and those who work for you can continue to live the dream.
>he was inventing dishes that have already been invented for hundreds of years.
There's nothing new under the sun. What most folks recognize as brilliant (or even genius) is putting a new twist on the familiar. For example the Beatles didn't invent rock and roll. They just put sunny folk style vocal harmonies over a 50's rock template while wearing matching suits. You could make the case they were not much more than a Brit mod version of the Everly Brothers. But that was just enough of an innovation to make the world go crazy.

Chang took flavors that would have been familiar to any adventurous eater in NYC and brought them together in an upscale environment. His pork buns and ginger scallion sauce can be found in any Chinatown dive. Plenty of ramen joints in the neighborhood were already selling ramen as good as his for less money. What he did was present these things with a little twist in an environment that was much less intimidating to the fine dining crowd who might be put off by ramen joints and Chinatown dives. That was enough of an innovation to make his name because he put the focus on the food and the food was good.

I don't need to give the guy my money either, because I regularly hit the kinds of divey places he pulls inspiration from. But I do pay attention to what he's up to, because I do like his sensibilities.

No, because he'd still be a one trick pony.

My Chinese roommate has this haircut. He shaves his head in the shower, clogs up the drain, then refuses to buy draino to fix it.

I'm going to drown him in the half foot of water he makes me stand in.

>There's nothing new under the sun.

Wrong

who the fuck is this chink

When it comes to food there is nothing really new. Everything we eat is pretty much a variation on a set number of ingredients prepared with a variety of techniques. And even the "new" techniques we saw so-called Modernist cuisine embrace had been in the food science lab for a while.

Most of what passes for new in cuisine is pretty much combining two or more already existing ideas in a way that strikes the diner as unexpected. This is not to undermine the talent and creativity involved in asking "what if" questions with regard to cooking and actually coming up with delicious answers. Because any novice cook learns that tradition exists for a reason once they have a few failures in the kitchen trying to get creative. The reason why chefs like Chang end up causing a stir is because his work is based on constantly asking "what if" and generally coming up with delicious answers to that question.

this is clover's fault

Taking pride in your ignorance is Cleetus level shit.

I kind of hate him after the whole ramen thing
honestly I hate him for the pork bun thing, and the chicken sandwich thing too

there is NOTHING special about his, where does he get off charging 2-4x as much as everybody else for them?

you can get a better bowl of ramen twice the size, with dumplings, and a beer for $9-$11

t. wong
dogmeat market is 2 blocks down buddy

blame Anthony BlowDink for hyping him up

>delicious answers

Not really. One example. He states the problem with the BLT is the bacon and tomato falls off. His solution? Grind the bacon to a paste and use tomato jam.

Now this was just pure ass stupid since part of the beauty of the BLT is the different textures from the different components. It's also the epiphany of a fresh picked summer tomato. It's a case of how can I improve something that doesn't need improving, and consequently ruin it?

F U C K

Y O U

t. actual Asian

t. Wong Fuck You

Again, he took flavors familiar to any adventurous eater and served them in an environment suited for the kind of people who would be intimidated by the kind of place that usually serves those things. And charges that crowd the prices they're used to paying. Not all that different than what Andy Ricker did with Pok Pok.
Agreed. But a problem with a BLT is that is sucks without a perfect garden fresh tomato. Chang can serve his version tear round without being at the mercy of the season and still evoke some of the pleasure of this hyper-seasonal dish. That's his thing. Asking "what if". What if I could come up with something that tasted like a BLT but could be served in January?

>>>/reddit/

reddit's 2 blocks down, get your jabroni ass outta here

Yeah, most flyovers wouldn't know him

David chang has said himself he's not a great chef. He is a great talker though.

>more about expanding the brand so you and those who work for you can continue to live the dream

This, right here. Most old guard Food Network chefs (the ones who cooked well before becoming famous) have become by necessity more about the idea of food than the food itself

All celebrity chefs have to make concessions on their food to stay relevant and keep the hype train trucking

Of course. If you want to stay an artist you don't build an empire, you run your own little fairyland place like Wylie Dufrense did for so many years. Once you build the empire you spend your time running it, and turn the food itself over to chefs you've trained and hopefully trust.

really? I thought season 1 was the best full season.
Sean brocks pat of season 2 was the best of the whole show but i didnt look bloomfield.
Everyone else was alright

>mare labia ceviche

This guy is like meme food impersonated. I hate him and the culture he represents

>Enjoys socializing with customers including douchebags from Eater and Munchies
>Tortured genius

Pick one

What? People with a high disposable income looking for something to eat that's both novel and delicious? That's who keeps the better upscale places afloat these days. Otherwise rich people woul;d be stuck eating country club tier food at the 21 Club. And a taste of Chang's style is a lot more affordable than an evening at places like the 21 Club. I'd argue he's fighting the good fight in a way, just for those who are not savvy or adventurous enough to go find these flavors on their own in parts of the city with less expensive shoes and haircuts and usually no wine lists.

At least his food is good, unlike places selling grain bowls and gluten free trendy health food bullshit. Sure he rode a wave of hype, but that's what happens when you have the right idea at the right time. Again, at least his food is good.

>meme food
It is hard to believe anyone that uses these two words in the same sentence actually takes their time to read/learn about anything.

Much less than actually going to places like Ko or Momofuku, so that you could have any kind of base to judge upon.

Butthurt chink