Mainlander Translation Project

Does Veeky Forums want to start a translation project for Mainlander's "Der Philosophie der Erlosung"? I'm thinking of buying a copy.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/bub_gb__MUYAAAAIAAJ
amazon.de/Die-Philosophie-Erlösung-Erster-Band-ebook/dp/B00HS8YG8O
worldcat.org/title/philosophie-der-erlosung/oclc/695209771
amazon.de/Die-Philosophie-Erlösung-Erster-Band-ebook/dp/B00HS8YG8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470505749&sr=1-1&keywords=mainländer
transfer.sh/7nmjy/mainlander-philipp-der-philosophie-der-erlosung.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's online here, but the archaic font is hard to read and the scan is incomplete in parts.

archive.org/details/bub_gb__MUYAAAAIAAJ

yes

yeah but i don't read german or am too proficient in English
but it's a nice project

OP do it alone if nothing else organizes. Essentially all the big authors of history translated works in their free time, it's a very honorable hobby.

thought about doing that too. unfortunately my English is probably not sufficient for such a project. (native G though)

Ich will helfen, OP, aber ich bin zu faul. Es tut mir leid. Viel Glück!

Oblomov enttarnt

der_schwtizende_Mann.jpg

Get me a readable copy and I'll help

You'll have to buy it, none of the versions I found are readable. If you feel like buying it actually rip the pages instead of holding them on the scanner right away.

Or just simply get this

amazon.de/Die-Philosophie-Erlösung-Erster-Band-ebook/dp/B00HS8YG8O

Which is an kindle ebook version which can be simply stripped by DRM.

For germans who live near Universities/libraries that have lax policies (i.e. you can lend them, scan them etc.) look here if there are some near you:

worldcat.org/title/philosophie-der-erlosung/oclc/695209771

I know some people who work in a famous translation centre and I am going into the village where it lies next week. I might ask some people there.

OP here. I bought a physical copy off of Amazon. Until it arrives, I'm going to try to work with the editions online. If I make noticeable progress, you guys will be the first (and only!) to know.

Op I want to hug and kiss you

>!
I'm sorry but we're gonna have to turn you down.

...Why?

please do this.. english speakers should read this guy. I have only read sketches of his ideas online.

Yes, yes, and yes
How is this not translated by now?
Any Italian bros feel like translating?
I need Paolo Sarpis Art of Thinking Well, Thoughts, and An Ecclesiastical History of the Council of Trent.

Also Giamarria Ortes' National Economy and On the Religion and Government of Nations.

And Carduccis complete poetical works would be nice too.

I'd help with translating.

Geht mir genauso. Maybe I'll help during the next manic period though.

germna here. ive got a solid 1, 1 1/2 months of uni break left and id be down. not to organize but id be in the general or however this ends up becoming a thing.

Speaking of niche german philosophy, In trying to remember a book an user posted a long time ago. The cover had a skull and fountain or pedestal, and I think the title had sonething to do with sorrow

amazon.de/Die-Philosophie-Erlösung-Erster-Band-ebook/dp/B00HS8YG8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470505749&sr=1-1&keywords=mainländer

Are u a native german speaker ?
Or a native englisch speaker ?

You're doing good work. I've been wanting to read Mainlander since I first heard of him.

Come on germanfags, this is way more productive work than making three collaborative shitposting novels.

I would love to help but I don't know german, I would be happy to do some proof reading if you want and help with that English is my second language so be aware

I need to do something so just pass me a pdf and I will see what I can do. Not native in Italian but I guess something can be done. Something short and in the public domain for now will be good

My german isn't good enough to be any help but I'd proofread

please

Is there a zweiter band?

I'll do some bits if I can.

how long is it?

What is this? Who is Mainlander?

I'm a native German speaker, but I don't know if my English is up to the task to translate philosophical books. The last test I did for University said I have reached the level C1 (nearly C2), so I could try with some native English speaker with good German by my side

I wouldn't mind trying to contribute once a readable text is uploaded
German's not my L1 and neither's English but I'm on the 7th semester of a German major/English minor and am into philosophy and have access to dictionaries

Ligotti rips off a lot of Mainlaender in Conspiracy Against The Human Race

bump let's get something going. I can do Spanish and probably italian. I'm too uninspired to write my own stuff but maybe translating will save me

I've posted this thread on an anti-natalist forum, so if it doesn't get archived until the evening we might have something going.

My German was around b2 a while back, but I'm native English and I've had a look at shit like E Wolf's Peregrinatio that I guess is probably similar. So hopefully there's some cross over.

I've got a copy of Philosophie Der Erlösung coming this evening.

www filedropper com/mainlanderphilipp-derphilosophiedererlosung

Add the periods. For some reason Veeky Forums thinks this is spam.

transfer.sh/7nmjy/mainlander-philipp-der-philosophie-der-erlosung.pdf

German neet from old thread here. I will gladly translate ten to twenty pages a day, no flake. Just send me a scanned copy and tell me where to post my work.

You are the hero we need, user.

Am going away on Tuesday for two-three days, but will check for threads on this when I get back

I don't like the finely spun web part, there must be a better expression. Englandos halp.

Preface

He who delves into the development of the human spirit, from the beginning of civilization to modern times, will reach a remarkable conclusion: He will find that reason grasped the undeniable might of nature merely in fragmented, personified pieces, namely that which we call deities; went on to combine these deities into a single God; through abstract reasoning went on to make an entity out of this God that was no longer imaginable by any means; ultimately disposed of its finely spun web and the real individual, championing internal and external experience.

The stages of this development are as follows:

1) Polytheism
2) Monotheism - Pantheism,
a. religious pantheism
b. philosophical variant thereof
3) Atheism

>*tip*

Not all civilized people have covered the whole distance. The spiritual life of most has come to a standstill at the first or second stage and only two peoples have reached the final stage: India and Judea.

German guy from before:
Currently I have to work 10 weeks in a library for my university course and do not have this much time to spare, but I would like to do some work.

That's cool. I don't know how OP wants to organize this. The chapters are like 50 pages each. Got any ideas?

OP here. I was just going to photocopy sections of the book when I get it (in a font that's not fraktur) and translate the Vorwort for you guys. We can take it from there. It is a massively long book, but it looks like much of it was written in aphorisms of about a page, so we can break it down into chunks. The goal isn't necessarily to finish the whole thing, but to make sections of it accessible for Veeky Forums depressives and over-educated NEETS who want to check out something otherwise unavailable in English. And also as a monument of sorts to Phillip Mainlander, who wrote prodigiously in a frenzy only to live a short, unhappy life and to be forgotten except for one dismissive bon mot from Nietzsche.

But I'm terrible at organizing these sorts of things.

>ultimately disposed of its finely spun web and the real individual,
I think web or tissue while it has this idea of disparate ideas coming together, also has the subtext of lying. Thread or even net is probably a better fit. Or knitting actually.

>a monument of sorts to Phillip Mainlander, who wrote prodigiously in a frenzy only to live a short, unhappy life and to be forgotten except for one dismissive bon mot from Nietzsche.
This filled me with feels.

How to translate Erkenntnisvermögen? The ability to recognise knowledge?

cognitive capacity?

t. shaky german speaker so don't take my word for it

Erkenntnisvermögen is not the ability to recognise knowledge, but the ability to learn, to gain knowledge. Something on the line of intelligence.

Do you guys think a work by Anonymous like this could ever be taken seriously by the public or critics? Spread and appreciated beyond Veeky Forums, or will it just be dismissed as amateurish?

I mean the public just sees """us"""" as the evil haxx0r group consisting of pedos and bullies. Could this change our reputation?

It's pragmatism. Unless someone else does an actual academic translation, if you can't read German but you find Philipp Mainlander interesting then what choice do you have but to read user's translation?

We need to make sure this gets out there after it's finished, and not just passed around on here. Like torrent that shit, make a simple website (even just a tumblr or whatever). Creative commons, etc.

We need a cover too. A damn iconic one, Anons.
Just pls not Pepe

I can see it's a tricky one with a cursory glance at some translations, being variously "perception", "human knowledge" and "mental ability". Good to know the more general idea of it.

>We need a cover too.
With "the mawkish apostle of viginity" -Nietzsche as a review quote

kek
I support this.

what about pic related? i always felt it looked like the tfw-face a bit. But maybe not depressing enough?

I have bought the Kindle Version, too.
And from now on I ( the German one, who works in a library ) use this Name: " Markus ". I think this will make organizing a bit easier.

I'll be Commodus

I will go with Stefan, I'm the guy that can speak spanish and get away with Italian

>can pick any name in the world
>goes with Markus and Stefan

Nice to meet you, good sirs.

I'm thinking of using that irl but how to do it without looking like a douchbag, my name is "..." but call me "..."

fancy names are for fancy people, I like it simple and practical.

Meet some new people and introduce yourself as Stefan, then when it creeps into your non Stefan life play it off as a nickname or something.

Or change your name legally. You can pretend the old name was your middle name or something.

i'm fancy.
call me Furry Fanny von Kitten

I actually moved to another country recently but since my real name is not the easiest to pronounce I could try to go with "ah just call me Stefan" as it´s similar (I tried that but then people insist in pronouncing it right)

An honor Mr. von Kitten

Then use the old faithful "my friends call me...". Most people will rather use the friend one.

My Pleasure your lordship

Good evening plebeians

I recently helped one Belgian anti-natalist (or French, but based in Belgium?) find a translator for his anti-natalist manifesto, and he either owns or is a co-owner of a publishing house, so if you manage to translate it, I'll put you guys in contact with him.

>anti-natalist
Is this the utmost of edgelord one can be?
I really can't think of anything more edgy.

So what are you doing ITT? Mainlander's oeuvre is pretty much the foundation of modern anti-natalism.

I thought that accolade went to Malthus? Or is that more not-pro-natalism?

Does the Green-YA style emphasize the depressiveness or no? Either way the Nietzsche quote probs fits better in the arms, I just wanted to see how it would look quick.

My paper copy just arrived btw.

Brother of African-American descent, that is yellow, not green

But it looks dope tho, I love it

Maybe we could draw in a snare hanging from the ceiling which he is longingly looking up to. Too dark?

too edgy imo (if not bait anyway)

If any additional help is needed: Iam native German. Not sure if my English is sufficient, but would like to try

I'm expecting this to be done entirely in greentext aka 4chans own prose. I'll be severely disappointed if not.

I also want several reaction illustrations to go with the text.

Get to work Anons

I mean like John Green and his "Oh hey like I just scribbled my name and title and some quotes guys" cover style

I'll fire up the ol PC in a bit. I'll try and get a nice noose as one of the O's in the title to make it cutesy I think. Maybe as like the tail of the y on philosophy and the o of redemption.

this... is my master piece

I'd suggest
>He will find that reason first grasped the undeniable might of nature in fragments and then personified the individual pieces, i.e. created gods
Though I prefer your use of fragments for 'Kraftäußerung' instead of something awkward, I believe there's something of a biblical allusion 'Götter bilden', creating gods/deities.
I think the web part is fine, but you forgot something, so I think it's '... disposed of its finely spun web and enthroned the real individual: the fact of the internal and external experience.
Also I prefer trying to keep a more image-laden phrase like 'die Stationen dieses Wegs', so that would be the 'stations on this way', but I'm aware there's a current trend in translation not to do this

I thought zerriss was more about being pulled apart rather than discarded. So they wove this thing and it got torn up/pulled apart/unravelled, or am I way off here?

How about this?

I'm fluent in German and English and Russian, but that's not relevant

Send me a free copy and I'll translate it

I like it. Simple is the way to go.

bump

I would help but don't want to read all that fraktur

qué

The edition in the OP is in the modern spelling conventions and font and all that. The only problem I find with the fraktur itt is the poor scanning of the pdf that makes e and k not look all that much like e and k.

The guy so far seems like a kind of anti-Heidegger or anti-existentialist in general. Quite interesting.

> Veeky Forums found someone dumber and edgier than Stirner

whew, I gotta get off this site

bump

You should have let it died . It's what Mainländer would have wanted.

The book itself seems fairly straightforward for the most part, but I can see a few spots where there's likely to be tripping up.

Bump

he would want us to read it and kys