I've recently started cooking a lot of stuff and I'm looking to buy a new kitchen knife...

I've recently started cooking a lot of stuff and I'm looking to buy a new kitchen knife, I've looked up some expensive stuff and I'm not quite sure.

Have you guys got any suggestions?

Cutco Marble Fade Damascus Knife

you serioysly dont need a fancy japanese ninja knife to chop vegetables/meat. Wanna impress the lads? sure!

>mac-chef-s-knife
that's a bit expensive

my friend recommended a tojiro knife, are they good?

just get something cheap that you can keep sharp, like a heinkel or something.

i don no. my knifes cost like 20 bucks I cant taste any difference.
ninjasteel might look cooler and get get you more pussy... tastewise, nah.

isnt it better steel?

Miyabi is a good as Shun for less cash...so there's that (the bamboo handles are pure sex though on the Shun line).

Otherwise get Whustof or Global. I have a knife from all of these brands and they're all good.

Try to find a store that lets you play with knives, like Sur La Table...they'll bust out a knife and a carrot so you can feel the weight balance and things of that nature.

>steel
if you cut meat with a 20 bucks steel or a 500. meat gonna taste the same. The process may well be fancier.

Tojiro is good for the price. Avoid Global.

>avoid global

Indeed. Ask anybody who has worked in a kitchen for more than a few months and not someone in a culinary school..

I am someone who has worked in a kitchen for more than a few months...

Stop being a faggot. If you're not some ancient,50 year trained sushifag that needs to follow tradition or will have to commit sudoku, then just get a sturdy stainless steel knife for $20-$30, I like good wooden handles myself, and invest in a sharpening stone.

>just get a sturdy stainless steel knife for $20-$30

Or if you're not a complete poorfag and you actually enjoy having somewhat nice things - and you take a little bit of care of your shit - spend $100-$150 on a decent knife that will last you a couple decades and be 10X more enjoyable to use, and actually make you look forward to doing prep work.

People suggesting cheapo knives are poor college students who have roommates fucking with their knives and not taking care of them, or restaurant workers who work in crappy restaurants.

and buy some diamond encrusted chopsticks, because , enjoy money wasted.

To argue, restaurants have a lot of drug addicts and I've had more than one valuable knife stolen. That's why I tell people to buy good shit for home and cheap shit for work.

Nothing is worse than turning from a prep table because a timer is going off and having some junkie knock your Shun to the floor...fucking pointless. Get Kiwi for work and buy good shit for home.

>he's never used a halfway decent knife before

nobody here all you experts are telling the OP to make sure that the knife has a handle, metal blade alone is not enough, you need handle to hold the blade in your hand

Victorinox is pretty decent.

Except no professional holds the handle. You pinch the end of the spine and let the handle float against your palm for maximum control.

Shows what you know about knives and cooking you cock juggling faggot.

right way....

so why they even put the handle on the blade,it would be cheaper without handle
just make one massive blade

If you're just starting out then buy a Victorinox 8" chef's knife for like $30 on Amazon, then upgrade to a Global, Shun, or Wustof after a year or so. You won't be disappointed.

In case you need to throw it like Steven Sagal during a terrorist attack.

Like this is 101 shit everyone should know.

you are talking out of your ass ,
because you want to feel relevant you say something that stupid how old are you ?

OP needs a median priced high carbon blade or more commonly known as German steel
somewhere in the 70 to 100 dollar range
something he can learn with when he practices how to sharpen his knives this is the key to any knife you purchase ,
even the cheapest crap out there is will be good if you keep it sharp but you will learn rather quickly what fits your style and why you want a certain brand of knife . balance and edge are everything to the specific task you're doing ,

Bitch needs a utility knife or a vegetable clever no more than 6". OP doesn't have a fucking clue.

Fuck I'd hesitate to give OP a pairing knife.

who the fuck holds a knife like that ?is he hammering the vegetables into pieces or is he trying to saw the cutting board in half , you would not even hold a blade like that if you were breaking a side of beef down

>who the fuck holds a knife like that ?
you are exactly right, this is some fancy schmancy posers crap

I'm trying to get a nice knife for a friend of mine who loves cooking. She already has a Henkel 8 inch that she loves, so now I'm wondering if I should get a nice general Shun as an improvement for that knife, or just a good whetstone.

Been looking at the Shapton glass whetstones because my brother had some and I've never seen anything make a better edge. what would be the best grain to get for a Henkel though? 500 and 2000?

budget is roughly $150, don't wanna go too far over if at all possible. also wondering if i should get her the knife or the whetstones. can't do both.

I bought a tojiro shirogami. It was like, $90. Great knife for a great price. Tojiro also has stainless knives with western style handles. I only like carbon for the ~°*AESTHETIC*°~.

First off, breaking down an animal is not the same as doing prep on vegetables.

Secondly every trained chef holds their knife like that without exception. Welcome to the big leagues son.

This seems like a good idea thanks

>without exception
Wrong! When using a slicer or bread knife, it's usually better to hold the handle fully. Depending on what exactly you're doing.

t. Professional

Enjoy your carving station
>professional

lol

he would NOT hold it like he was holding a damn hammer , NO ONE who is skilled would have a grip that tight... the grip is on the spine and the fingers on the tang are used to balance ...not grip , son

you are full of potato peelings prep worker.

this user knows what he is talking about.bravo

bunch of fucking knife snobs

proper way of holding knifes you faggots chefs

>Have you guys got any suggestions?
Get a sharp one.

with a handle

>Needing a handle.
I bet you also eat pizza with a fork.

no with chop sticks

I need to do this.

don't buy these overpriced shits, just go for stainless steel and sharpen it with a stone sharpener or a machine and you're good to go for life.

Stay away, or at least be wary of, Wustof. I have one which cost my dad about $100 I think, and it's a piece of shit. It won't hold an edge, the spine is too thick making it heavy, and the spine is too sharp making it uncomfortable to pinch grip. It worked fine for me for years, but when I started cooking more regularly, and when I had another knife to compare it to (the one I bought for work which cost less), it just doesn't measure up.

Buy a Tojiro DP and never come back to ask advice from these idiots

>these idiots

In the same sentence parroting the most often groundlessly repeated Veeky Forums knife advice.