Amerifat here, have any of you ever tried Cincinnati chili? If so...

Amerifat here, have any of you ever tried Cincinnati chili? If so, how would one go about making it the way they do in the restaurants around that area? I moved from Ohio and miss it and the cans are expensive as fuck to order.

never had it, but from a quick google search, it sounds like something I'd try at least once. have you given any of the recipes online a try? how'd they turn out?

also, when I saw this thread I thought it sounded like some kind of scat-related euphemism. "4 way cincinnati chili" sounds like something you'd see on efukt.

supposedly the trick is this

gold star uses peanut butter in their chili

skyline uses chocolate

>1 can of heinz spaghetti
>1 can of hormel chili with beans
>combine in microwave-safe dish
>cover with kraft american singles (to taste)
>microwave for 2 minutes

wala, authentic 'natti 'li

the hell is with all that cheese?

No but I am a Bengals fan. It's a hard life.

THAT CHEESE IS LIFE.

Or at least laced with cocaine. It's magical.

I asked this last time, but nobody gave me a clear answer.
Is "skyline" or "Cincinnati" chili the name of a specific restaurant or brand? Or is it a general style of certain ingredients, techniques, and spices?
If it is a unique style, what are its defining characteristics? I see pictures of it on spaghetti and with a fuckton of shredded cheese, but that's not creative enough to get a classification as a thing worth bragging about. Is it really just simple as a substitute for spaghetti sauce? With an entire bag of cheap yellow cheese dumped on?

Camp Washington is the best

you can get cans of skyline chili in the grocery store

So its just a brand name? Like Hormel?

>I am a Bengals fan
So you get excited over disappointment and mediocrity?

skyline is the name of a restaurant in Cincinnati which has become the official chilli of Cincinnati.

okay I think I get it. Its a regional favorite fast food franchise?
What about it is hard to replicate somewhere else? Is there a secret formula or something?

I'm not from Cincinnati so maybe someone can answer better. as far as i know its a spicy meaty chilli they put over spaghetti topped with cheese. not what you think of when you think of chilli ie a big pot of soupy tomato based stew with kidney beans. so yes its a regional thing.

Does anyone in Cincinnati not shit up their chili with meme ingredients?

This is the impression I get, too. And to add to it, from my understanding, the chili part of Cincinnati chili isn't very much like what the rest of the country considers chili. Apparently, it was invented by Greek immigrants, and tastes different than the southwestern stuff, with the only similarities being that it's a spicy meat sauce. It's also used as a topping for things (usually spaghetti), and isn't eaten by itself.

If you want to make it taste like their secret recipe style, you just add a little bit of chocolate to it.

Tastes just like Skyline branded chili sauce.

First time ever made 8lbs of ground beef into some chili yesterday, then I realized how am I going to eat all this crap. What can I eat with chili? I made some basmati white rice and it went pretty well with chili, but considering I'm going to have 5 days worth of chili, what else can I top off with my chili?

chili freezes pretty well. you don't have to eat it for 5 days. freeze individual portions and thaw them out as you get hungry for chili. should keep for a couple months at least.

Baked potato, nachos with sour cream, cheese sauce or shredded cheese and jalapenos. Chili salad the same as above. Chili dogs of course. Spaghetti, chili, cheese, chopped raw onion and beans if you want mixed. Fries, there is so much shit you can put it on.

Basically yes.

NO, BECAUSE IT'S IN OHIO, AND EVERYTHING IS SHIT IN OHIO, EVEN THE WOMEN.

TRULY THE ARMPIT OF AMERICA.

Empress chili is the original cincinnati chili. Cincinnati style includes cinnamon and Mediterranean spices since it was invented by people who moved to the cincinnati area from there, and usually chocolate is involved as well. It's not always eaten on spaghetti and is pretty shit with spaghetti imo. It's better on hotdogs or in like a chili cheese burrito, or some other way you would eat a thin chili

>It's not always eaten on spaghetti and is pretty shit with spaghetti imo

Non-tri-stater detected

>It's better on hotdogs

Maybe you are from the region after all...

>or in like a chili cheese burrito

Nevermind. Confirmed for not from the region.

Just go to Kroger or Walmart and buy the blue seasoning packet. It always turns out better that Skyline and Gold Star anyway.

Cinnamon

>Northerners trying to make chili in the 1950s.

>Other--more naive--northerners thinking this "chili" is an authentic cultural delicacy.

>2 generations later it's an ohio tradition.

>northerners...

"ohio" is the key word here

buckeyes dilute their liquor. what more needs to be said?

IT'S SO GOOD I CAN'T GET ENOUGH

It's not the chili that's the good part mate
>it's the cheese mounds

Ohio is hardly the north. Much more southern than northern. Poor people everywhere, like college football more than the NFL, lots of minorities, shitty culture, pretty much Kentucky, none of the good northern culture you find in the northeast and upper midwest

Thanks for the info guys. As an outsider, here's what I have sort of gathered up about the whole thing:
Cincinnati region loves chili, and several places have "fast-fooded" it. The most recognizable of these is called Skyline, which is both a restaurant and canned product.
Its pretty standard ground beef/tomato chili, but featuring cinnamon, chocolate, "Mediterranean spices", and maybe peanut butter? No opinion on the beans/no beans thing?
You guys put it on pasta as a sauce. That seems to be a signature thing. Where I'm from we call it "chili mac" but you use spaghetti more?
Shredded cheese topping. A lot of it.
Is there anything I'm missing? I'm just trying to summarize what I'm in for, I haven't tried it, so no judging.
Fill in the blanks please.

>No opinion on the beans/no beans thing?
Beans are ok.
>3-way: Spaghetti, chili, cheese
>4-way: 3-way + beans or onions
>5-way: 3-way + beans AND onions

Incorrect

>skyline uses chocolate
I suggest dark chocolate actually, probably 70%
>the hell is with all that cheese?
Its actually not cheese but its good.
Yeah its meat sauce, not chili. Macedonians.
>>Northerners trying to make chili in the 1950s.
Except it started in the 1920's by fucking immigrants, cunt.
I bet you have never lived in one our major cities, know-it-all cuck.
>Its pretty standard ground beef/tomato chili, but featuring cinnamon, chocolate, "Mediterranean spices", and maybe peanut butter? No opinion on the beans/no beans thing?
No PB in. If you're doing beans, use kidney beans and put them underneath your sauce/chili. Not cooked with it.

>and maybe peanut butter?

no. kys yourself and as many others as possible

>Its actually not cheese but its good.
Former Skyline employee here. It's cheddar cheese. Comes in large blocks. They shred it daily.

THANK GOD THEY GIVE YOU SO MUCH. ENOUGH, EVEN, TO EAT SOME WITH OYSTER CRACKERS.

Cincy here. Goldstar / Skyline is decent for a chain, but there are quite a few family owned restaurants that do it quite a bit better. Mike's Chili & Gyros, Dixie Chili, etc.

Fuck off, I'm only compiling information that's been posted here, and nobody has discredited the peanut butter thing and its been here since the third post. You had to use that gay ass abbreviation for suicide, which means you should probably do it.
Blame this guy for saying peanut butter. And if hes wrong, prove it.

hey, I've only heard that's what they use. I'm from Cincinnati and that was an old myth that used to circulate about why gold star was thicker. So far I haven't seen anything to back it up but I do know skyline and most skyline copy cats use chocolate and cinnamon.
Either way how bad could it be? I've seen weirder shit.

This post is so wrong it gave me cancer

>Make Spaghetti
>Dump can of hot dog chili on top
>Take a brick of Velveeta at room temp and grate it over the chili

Congrats, you've made the culinary contribution of a pass-over state.

This. Bag that shit up, take it out and put it in a box to defrost in the evening, take that motherfucker to work with you.

Homemade chili at work is comfy af

>implying any of this

>pass over not fly over

I bet you order your burgers with a fried egg on top faggit

>Cincinnati "chili"

That shit isn't chili.

>good
>northern culture

kek!

im from cincinnati and i have never heard of the peanut butter thing. also nobody even likes gold star.

not mentioned in this thread is the god tier skyline 4 way baked potato- chili, beans, onions, and cheese. it's breddy gud with some sour cream

stay mad because our chili is better than yours faggot

Ohioans are literally the only people who think this.
Meanwhile, the entire rest of the USA knows that our way is superior.

Get rekt pal.

>this is what bean soup cucks actually believe

i bet you have never even tried skyline bub eat my ass

Guys, how do I make my drunken bachelor chow become a legitimate dish? Just use better ingredients?

basically.

>EAT SOME WITH OYSTER CRACKERS.
>not throwing your oyster crackers into that hot chili juice on the plate and mashing them up with your fork to sop up the last of that necture
when someone finally explained to me this is why they give you the crackers so you don't have to lick your plate clean like a 5 y/o, I was overjoyed.

God damn, how'd you not get the joke?

>being this much of a snob about your region's take on chili
You're all low tiered chili bitches if you really think any one chili is "the best". They're all good and I welcome them all, except Skyline, thats a meat sauce.

>no one has actually answered

You can buy pic related on Amazon, maybe at the grocery.

Just mix the packet with a pound of lean ground meat, 4 oz tomato paste and 6 cups of water, boil for 40 minutes and waa laa, chili. I use 93/7 ground turkey, and it tastes just like the real thing.

Might as well eat your ass. Either way he would know what the chili tastes like.

shut up harbaugh