Falcon explosion is due to a breach in the helium system of the second stage...

Falcon explosion is due to a breach in the helium system of the second stage. So it WAS due to the rocket itself and not the pad infrastructure.

spacenews.com/falcon-accident-investigation-points-to-breach-in-rockets-helium-system/

Spiciest bit from the article
"While the root cause remains unknown, and thus the scope of any corrective actions, SpaceX said it remains confident it can resume Falcon 9 launches as soon as November, resuming assembly of various vehicle components as they’re cleared by the investigation."

Translation
"We still have no idea why it blew up, and yeah it might well blow up again next time, but we'll still relaunch in a month. Who knows maybe it won't blow up lol? Fuck me right xD"

Just let those amateurish hicks go bankrupt already. And they want to launch humans in space, too. What has US spaceflight become, I swear...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MZ0SgAU9LXI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos#Controversies
qz.com/696835/forbes-just-cut-its-estimate-of-theranos-ceo-elizabeth-holmess-net-worth-from-4-5-billion-to-zero/
youtube.com/watch?v=m6o8RPCHXUA
space.stackexchange.com/questions/18020/why-was-amos-6-mounted-on-the-rocket-for-a-test-fire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_artificial_non-nuclear_explosions#Rank_order_of_largest_conventional_explosions.2Fdetonations_by_magnitude
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Maybe if they let the next one blow up we can get more cool thunderf00t vids

>What has US spaceflight become, I swear...
US spaceflight is doing fine, it's just SpaceX.

Meme company blows up meme rockets

In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue

please bring back the soviet union, this is getting sad

The largest man made, non-nuclear explosion in human history was made by the Soviet Union when their moon rocket exploded on the pad.

Musk and Zuckerberg: when rich people confuse having money with having knowledge.

A guy with a bachelors degree in 'business' who dropped out of his phd to chase dotcom bubble bucks, telling actual engineers how to do their jobs, and driving away any talent who won't work 120 hours a week for below average pay.

What did anyone think would happen? They're failing at simple shit everyone else figured out in the 60s. They wouldn't exist without Nasa's welfare. Commercial customers only want reliability, they don't care about saving thirty million on a payload worth billions in business if it blows up.

Musk should shut down SpaceX before it kills someone, sell Tesla to a real car company that knows what they're doing, and invest in elocution lessons.

>bring back the soviet union
Without much fanfare China launched its Tiangong-2 space lab on September 15. No one noticed.

Why would anyone care about 60s technology?

China is slowly catching up. Its immense population and state capitalist system ensures that science in China will become a top dog in the coming years with government backing.

The point about the soviets regarded the USSR having an inherent focus on science and technology as part of their state planning due to ideological reasons, it was not just an afterthought. They also managed to achieve a lot given their obliterated post-war situation and the fact that they didn't get a von Braun or the most developed nations of the Western world as their allies. They got their own visionary (Korolev) who died at a critical time in the Space Race.

>it's just SpaceX
youtu.be/MZ0SgAU9LXI
ITS GONNA BE LAAAAAAWD

Rest of vid is equally priceless

>Musk and Zuckerberg: when rich people confuse having money with having knowledge.
A large part of the silicon valley is actually like this. They are convinced that coding [small digression: I do not say technology, because for me, coding isn't technology. What is being built at CERN, the instrumentation carried by space probes, or experimental fusion reactors for instance are technology; iPhone apps or algos to send you personalised advertisement on facebook isn't] will solve the world's problems. Problems that could be solved first and foremost with good governance.

Take the medical startup Theranos. They're making blood tests much cheaper and that is supposed to be a revolution, while in the rest of the western world, this problem simply doesn't exist because good governance made things like universal health care possible. Same with Tesla, who's making big expansive toys for rich people who want to look cool (nevermind the fact that the interior of a model S is skoda-tier). If you really care about climate change, use public transports like everybody. In most cities in europe, you barely need to own a car if you are living in a 500000+ city (unless it's for your work, if you're consultant or smt) because of good public transport networks. Again, good governance.

Some things made in silicon valley is actually useful, but most of it is utter garbage-tier. They "innovate" (read: they're coding) for the sake of "innovating" instead of actually doing anything useful. Innovation has become such an empty word there.

The fly on the wall said it was a message, another 'strut', and it was understood. The whole affair reminds me of the space ball incident in Spain. The 'root cause' is hidden in plain sight but outside your sphere of influence. Facebook? Why then did the Defense Industry Daily list it as a dual-use satellite? Who dunnit? SPECTRE; writing's on the wall.

>"We still have no idea why it blew up, and yeah it might well blow up again next time, but we'll still relaunch in a month. Who knows maybe it won't blow up lol?
They have a track record of it usually not blowing up, so it's not like failing to find and fix the problem before proceeding would be grossly irresponsible.

They have an idea of where the problem is, so they could add more sensors around it, proceed with more caution in their pre-launch testing (the payload did *not* need to be on top of the rocket for this test), and hopefully have it happen again without a loss of payload and with a clear picture taken of exactly what went wrong.

Tesla just got dumped by Mobileye (computer vision software producer for Tesla Autopilot) because Elon Musk shits on security. Wonder why SpaceX rockets keep blowing up.

My concern is that this is a sign of a longer trend of bad engineering and check out with spacex. Over the past year they've had a fair few failures.
It makes me wonder if they decided to go with a new sub contract for manufacturing of the tanks. if so, then I suspect that that sub contractor is about to loose credibility due to these failures.

two vehicle loses due to the helium tanks huh

odd

that can do attitude is what got us to the fucking moon first. Rocketry is inherently dangerous and its forefathers embraced it.

if NASA hadnt become the massive risk averse puss fest that it has since the 70s/80s wed already be on mars

Yeah, if we have to watch rockets explode then it should at least be in the kilo-ton range

>cost of blood tests is irrelevant because socialized medicine
how fucking retarded can some people be

The government can just print more money to pay for it.

their first station is crashing to earth because it failed.

Nope, Von Braun was actually very conservative on engineering matters and favored safety above all else. That was what made the difference between sending men or corpse on the moon. He would probably spit on Musk for being so reckless if he was alive today. There's not much left of the Apollo heritage since the US never came back, but the principles of Von Braun certainty are part of it, for those who care.

>Theranos
It's a fucking meme. They can't actually do shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos#Controversies
qz.com/696835/forbes-just-cut-its-estimate-of-theranos-ceo-elizabeth-holmess-net-worth-from-4-5-billion-to-zero/

Compsci/Compsec uni student here. What's wrong with Coding? I can understand why something like a targeted advertising algorithm is shit, but what about an algorithm to automatically gather data on something (ie, climate change) and analyse the trends?

I get that a lot of coding is just useless in the grand scheme of things, but being able to write a program that can do a lot of shit (ie, automating a factory, etc) can definitely fix some problems. Now I'm not saying that some script kiddie will get us to Mars, but I think you are ignoring a lot of good things about coding.

Call me when Muck kills his first astronaut and then i'll accept the claim of him being reckless

Not him, but I annoys me when all newspaper will present how the latest smartphone is 0.1mm thinner in a "technology" section. Of course that coding is part of research on actual advanced technologies, but I think he just wanted to make the distinction between technology and gadgets clearer.

He should really consider voice acting. Also, why run?

>Von Braun was actually very conservative on engineering matters and favored safety above all else.
V-2's rushed development, testing, and deployment schedule killed more slave laborers and pad crew in its production and use than enemies in its target area.

Got you. Although personally I hope that it never happens, as I don't think a guy with so little work ethic (overworking his employees, giving them miserable wages, being constantly way over deadline, announcing weird grand plans with very little substance, ...) should be entrusted with human lives.

I'm convinced he's only concerned with feeding his massive ego. Hence why he's in the press constantly. He should be more humble like Larry Page.

He will, but he'll think of some clever euphemism to make it sound less ominous

"It wasn't a death, it was a RUCLT (rapid unplanned crew life termination), Elon is so quicky xD."

>“large breach” in the helium system in the rocket’s second stage
sasuga SpaceX for shooting yourself in the knees

It's hopeless you know that he WILL get contract to launch JWST.
Because of "unexpected circumstances" and basically affirmitive action

no RUCLT but CRAUT (Cryo Rapid Advancing Unanimous Trembling reaction)

>you know that he WILL get contract to launch JWST.
Why are there so many idiots posting garbage in these threads?

Elon Musk is the greatest scientist of our generation

Because retards never skip a chance to shitpost?

>sasuga SpaceX for shooting yourself in the knees
wat?

> when pigs fly

There's something special about the SpaceX threads.

Like, seriously, mentally ill obsessed people who finally manage to get kicked out of reddit hear things like, "This isn't Veeky Forums, we have standards." and then come here, thinking it's all /b/ all the time.

Personally I find Musketeers and BTFO's equally irritating. Each time someone starts a tread discussing anything space-related, it always turns into a shitfest between those two groups.

Ah, fair enough. It irks me a little bit to see that happening too.

>Falcon explosion is due to a breach in the helium system of the second stage. So it WAS due to the rocket itself.
it was due to ayy lmaos blowing up the kike satellite.

thunderf00t's video is out
youtube.com/watch?v=m6o8RPCHXUA

oh wait, he only talks about being right for the first 30 seconds

Found the Marxist

Isn't SpaceX supposed to have the best people? Why do their rockets keep blowing up?

How does the pay & benefits at SpaceX compare to NASA?

SpaceX has only blown up two rockets. That's not really enough to say it "keeps happening."

(At least, they've only had two rockets go boom before they had finished their job and would have been destroyed on reentry anyway. But because SpaceX decided to leave enough fuel in to try landing their rockets instead of just leaving them in a parking orbit or splashing down in the ocean, you saw a lot more explosions after the point you'd normally call mission success while they tried to work out how to land them.)

Because they're overworked and underpaid. Not to mention, Elon takes all the credit and they silently are lying in wait to cloak him in his dagger

two in two years

With your skill in drawing conclusions from a sample size like that, I forsee a, great future for you in the social sciences.

sadly you won't be around to bask in the glow of my success. you'll be dead when your favourite tech deity kills you trying to go to mars

>you'll be dead when your favourite tech deity kills you trying to go to mars

>Like, seriously, mentally ill obsessed people who finally manage to get kicked out of reddit hear things like, "This isn't Veeky Forums, we have standards." and then come here, thinking it's all /b/ all the time.

Eh I feel like he didn't have much of a choice there as there was a war happening and he probably had the SS breathing down his neck.

Nerds gunna be salty as when Elon cucks NASA & takes over mars.

>Just let those amateurish hicks go bankrupt already.
They won't go bankrupt, because they're 70% government financed. Commercial contracts from the free market make up only a small fraction of their income.

>SpaceX has only blown up two rockets.
Six rockets. Their reliability is worse than Proton's, the worst Russian rocket.

what kind of biased shit graph is that

they grouped together ocean and not attempted which is retarded since they've successfully launched and then landed on ocean platforms

completely irelevant in the scope of launch failures

dumb investment

We'll remain bound to Earth until we can come up with something better than combustive propulsion. 90% of the mass is propellant. 1960s technology. We're still a bunch of fucking cavemen. There's too many antithetical chicken littles running around with absurd pop-sci notions.

>We'll remain bound to Earth until we can come up with something better than combustive propulsion.
Protip: there is nothing better than hydrocarbons to get off the surface.

It's rare to find people on the middle ground. Every fucking time it's

>Elon is jesus christ and iron man in one and hes saving the world with green cars and cool rockets!! Mars in 9 years.

>Elon ''the KEK'' Musk is a mediocre business man that burns BILLIONS YES WITH A B OF YOUR MUNNEYYY for expensive fireworks and golfcarts!! Space Xplosion will die next year.

The only comeback to both of these assholes in every thread is what reality shows us in the next couple decades.

> only assholes say protip

You mean because our technology, which is largely predicated on hydrocarbon use, and candidly, wouldn't exist without it, is so primitive that there's no other way? So, when the bottom falls out of energy industry we won't be leaving the planet?

Yeah, it's my fucking point exactly.

Nothing has the thrust-to-weight ratio of hydrocarbons. Are you going to go all Project Orion inside the atmosphere? That would be asinine. Specific impulse is functionally irrelevant inside the atmosphere if you can't make the acceleration to get to orbit.

You're missing the argument. Hydrocarbons are finite and rapidly depleting.

Poof. No more hydrocarbons. How are we getting off the planet?

Yeah, these are some of the mentally ill people, hallucinating that Veeky Forums is overrun with Elon Musk worshippers, because they immediately strawman anything even slightly positive toward SpaceX, or any objection or factual correction of absurd shitting all over it, as abject dick-sucking.

We don't need a "balance" here between the imaginary Elon-worship you're responding to, and the elaborate schizophrenic rants you generate declaring that SpaceX has never done anything right and is going to kill everyone.

Please go be insane somewhere else. Nuclear thermal rockets would work fine for orbital launch. We're just reluctant to use them. As long as there's energy, hydrocarbons can be synthesized from CO2 (from air or carbonate minerals, which there's a limitless supply of). Hydrocarbons aren't necessary, hydrogen and ammonia fuels work fine. Solar and wind can produce hydrogen (and ammonia, and hydrocarbons), too, they're not infeasible only "uncompetitive" with fuel just laying around to pick up. On top of all that, there are absolutely huge amounts of carbon fuels left in the ground, and the current issue is that we're worried that burning too much more of it will fuck up the climate.

You two gibbering mental patients are each pushing the same points at each other as if you're arguing with someone who disagrees, while totally agreeing with each other AND basing your whole argument on wrong, stupid, and ridiculous claims.

project orion would work just fine

The nukes would be clean airbursts, no big deal.

Sadly, hydrocarbons are the fundamental basis for all other energy sources. I wasn't talking about nuclear, but since you mentioned it. Mining the requisite radioactive material requires diesel, not to mention the energy intensive process constructing the reactor.

The principal feedstock for hydrogen is methane from natural gas, a hydrocarbon. Anhydrous ammonia is produced by reacting atmospheric nitrogen with hydrogen (see Haber Bosch). This is basis of all other ammonia derivatives.

Solar requires mining silica/quartz a very environmentally destructive and dirty process requiring hydrocarbons. Not to mention the purification process or losing 50% of the silicon to kerf when they're cut into wafers. The energy requirements for mining a wind turbine resources, say neodymium, is no different. Let's not forget, manufacturing facilities for both these fossil fuel extenders, are not exactly powered by the technology they're producing.

Yes, there are enormous amounts of hydrocarbons still in the ground, but there's a vast difference between resources and reserves. Much of it is not economically recoverable. The average break even for crude is $60-$100 depending on the play. Brent's trading at $45. Some will never be recovered at any price because the EROEI is less than 1.

Before you go shouting off at mouth, you might want to learn a microcosm of where energy actually comes from.

After Falcon 1 (which --be honest!-- was a test-by-flying development program), SpaceX has had only one true launch failure, and that was only a loss of payload because the Dragon capsule wasn't programmed to separate and active its parachutes for splashdown, due to FAA rules making it difficult and costly to get approval.

F9Rdev was not a "launch failure" (and the explosion was completely intentional, triggered when a sensor failed). Nor it is reasonable to claim the stage recovery program as anything but a remarkable success. You need to apply common sense in distinguishing between a high failure rate and a test-by-flying development program.

This latest explosion on the pad was a failure in pre-launch testing (you know, the thing they do because it's better to find faults on the ground than in flight), not a launch failure. The payload was lost, but it was not necessary to have the payload on top, and that decision was ultimately up to the customer.

There are enormous oil/hydrocarbon resources that aren't even discovered because noone has looked in those places yet

see: The ocean
see: Deep underground
see: large fresh water lakes
etc

There are many ways to produce portable fuel, and they aren't even all that much more expensive. We don't make much use of them because there is fuel just laying around to be sucked up and distilled. We don't need oil, coal, or natural gas, but we're not going to replace them until we have to.

I've already pointed this out, but your schizophrenia won't let the reality in. You're riding that high of feeling like you know the secret truth of the universe, and everyone else is idiots for not being in a frothing panic with you.

Christ man Google N1. After genius Korolev died, they could never get it to work.

The world has been thoroughly explored.

>that decision was ultimately up to the customer.
And how do you know that?

Production via what means? Algae or some other benchtop process that fails to scale or have EROEI rates high enough to sustain industrialized society? Energy is intractable and fundamental to every process in the universe.

Plastics, paints, resins, solvents, detergents... the entire chemical industry, pharmaceuticals... 90% of transportation which is industrial freight and trucking -- both diesel. All hydrocarbons.

You clearly don't know the definition of schizophrenia, but not surprising considering how narrowband your knowledge base is.

There's no secret truth, no conspiracy or clandestine activities. Energy is fundamental. I've heard some far fetched nonsense, but asymptotic delusion is believing hydrocarbons are inconsequential. You may want to seek professional help. Your blindspot could be detrimental to everyday functioning. If you are unable to render the obvious, you may be at risk to do yourself or others serious harm.

>>that decision was ultimately up to the customer.
>And how do you know that?
Because the customer said so in a public statement?

It would have cost more, with more risk of delay, if they wanted this final pre-flight test conducted with the payload off. Nobody (including the SpaceX engineers advising them) thought this kind of failure was very likely, but everybody knew it was a possibility.

It's not real likely that people are going to keep doing this test with the payload on.

Has public consumption physics hit a dead end?

>Production via what means? Algae or some other benchtop process that fails to scale or have EROEI rates high enough to sustain industrialized society? Energy is intractable and fundamental to every process in the universe.
You are such a fucking muppet.

Rooftop solar is already cheaper, joule for joule, than coal-fired electricity. And the dollars-per-watt figure of PV keeps dropping, with no sign of coming close to any limit.

Hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis or thermal methods, and reacted with CO2 to produce whatever hydrocarbons you want.

Energy isn't hard to get. It is literally shining down from the sky on us. It's just hard to compete with the cost-effectiveness of picking up stuff that was laying around before we got here.

Hydrocarbons
>rapidly depleting

Buahahahaha
We have coal and oil for hundreds of years.

Arctic shale oil has hundreds of billions of barrels. Its an peak oil cultist that spreads his hysteric doomsday cult on Veeky Forums instead of being on /x/

>Because the customer said so in a public statement?
Source?

Yea they found the easy stuff then stopped looking

the world has NOT been thoroughly explored. Especially not miles underground.

years ago nigga

Man, I'd have to find it the same way you would, and you'll probably learn more by investigating for yourself. Don't be lazy.

Nothing new after the V2.
We're stuck on this rock in space.

Probably not the exact source, but there's a discussion thread on StackEchange about this as well (this was the AMOS-6, right?)

space.stackexchange.com/questions/18020/why-was-amos-6-mounted-on-the-rocket-for-a-test-fire

>SpaceX performs a test fire of all their rockets at the pad, lasting for a few seconds. There is an option to place the satellite on top of the rocket, or to delay the launch by a single day.

Sounds like the customer wanted it up ASAP

Oh good grief.

Notice the word 'CONVENTIONAL' right at the top of that fucking graph?

What that means is, 'the cheapest and easiest shit to get that's just laying around.'

UNCONVENTIONAL oil is where the big numbers are.

Fracking means we are no longer drilling for oil, we are mining oil. And when you start mining oil, it turns out there is an aching shit-ton of the stuff.

And as the other user mentioned, that's not even counting the deep stuff.

Not quite, but it's up there.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_artificial_non-nuclear_explosions#Rank_order_of_largest_conventional_explosions.2Fdetonations_by_magnitude

Israel's AMOS-6 Dual-Use COMSAT destroyed:

"For the Lord has given the command,
and he will smash the great house into pieces
and the small house into bits." (Amos 6 11)

The perpetrators show style, they left an unmistakable signature.

'Informed sources' in Israel suggest that the reason for the destruction is far from technical and may never come to light. After the June 28, 2015 incidence SpaceX set up an inquiry team of 12 members which never released details of its findings. Did they find something unspeakable, like another signature?

spacex-wins-defense-contract-launching-satellite-for-air-force

Good luck, SpaceX. Always pay your Indulgence or expect foreign intervention!

The funniest part is that musk was literally begging for video footage.
Like why wouldn't you have a bunch of cameras pointed at your rocket from multiple angles.

>Like why wouldn't you have a bunch of cameras pointed at your rocket from multiple angles.
They did, obviously. That doesn't mean more wouldn't be helpful.

It's Monday, pajeet spacex shills are back to their desks!

Where?

Good thing the have a second one up, eh? First one was done anyway

Hey that's not fair. The N1 also exploded above the pad.