Why should someone read philosophy? isn't just some dude's idea about how to live your life...

why should someone read philosophy? isn't just some dude's idea about how to live your life. I've never considered reading it before.

Thinking is fun.

heh.

funny thread.

I'm seriously asking why

Why does that say "live"
Fucking idiots online makin' these things

I don't read philosophy because of some ultimate, desire for fulfillment. I read it because it's more interesting than listening to dullards talk. Sometimes I watch great films or plays for the dialogue. When someone is saying something you don't have to 100% accept them as an authority or even at all, you can however assume it's a better argument than your drunken roommate's ceaseless drivel.

Let me put it to you this way: Can you sit in a coffee shop and be satisfied listening to hipsters babble? Or do you desire something more? Something that in the survival of the fittest survived through pure intellectual fitness. Where you don't have to dumb down every single word, every sentence, every idea, until you speak none, hear none, but dance to the lowest common banter. If the former bores you, you might desire the latter. If not, then you're probably already achieved what you seek.

wtf are you talking about

This. It's basically a way of examining interesting ideas. If you think of philosophy as a how-to guide for living then you're missing the point of it.

>you're missing the point of it.
You're changing the point. A lot of the early philosophers were a how to live competition.

how about you read philosophy to understand why people are reading it instead of using the good ol reducio technique you fucking mong

do you complain to people on why they could possibly like this film, even if you've never watched the film itself? asshole

Philosophy is the atheist version of religion. People who are lost looking for something to make sense of it all. Instead of looking towards God or the spiritual realm, they look to other humans.

The question of how to live was already answered by culture, by tradition. The philosophers who were talking about how to live were often being revolutionary, they were not speaking practically but in radical terms. Socrates was found guilty of impiety after all.

Besides, most early philosophy was in the Rhetorical school. The important thing was not how to live (only an imbecile would not know how to live already), but how to speak effectively and with persuasion.

so no one can tell me why anyone should read philosophy....

It's more like no one can teach you how to read because you're retarded.

Why do you even have a trip? What's the point? Go make more dyke threads on /gif/

I don't get it. If an unlived life is one that's unexamined, then obviously it would be worth examining.

it's this, the thread is already over, OP
you're just too stupid
go away

why does anyone want to know why anyone should read philosophy?

I'm asking for everyone who doesn't know about philosophy

how would anyone not know about philosophy?

you don't have to agree with everything you read

>X is Y. But also Y is X.

every Oscar Wilde aphorism ever