Sources on AI

Hey, what's up.

I'm looking to learn as much about AI as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.
I don't know much about programming, and I don't much care about the programming behind it, more about the logic. I want to understand what it would take to create AI, and how we imagine AI would behave and why.

Videos of lectures or talks are most welcome, actual texts are less favorable, but I won't complain about them.

Thank you in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/books/IntroductionToArtificialIntelligence2ndEd_PhilipCJacksonJr.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience
science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6251/aac4716
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network
neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com/
edx.org/course/artificial-intelligence-uc-berkeleyx-cs188-1x
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I don't know much about programming, and I don't much care about the programming behind it, more about the logic.

That makes no sense. How can you possibly understand anything about it without understanding how the programming works?

aka OP wants some pop-sci book on AI so he can make authoritative posts r/futurology

Intelligence is intelligence.
You don't need to understand programming to understand how a brain works.
Computer programming is just one of potentially infinite solutions to intelligence.
Intelligence is simply the capacity to solve problems. Intelligent systems do this by using algorithms. Algorithms aren't exclusive to programming, and you can understand algorithm without knowing how to code one in a programming language.

I'm glad we got that out of the way.

>You don't need to understand programming to understand how a brain works.

Except you definitely do.

>Computer programming is just one of potentially infinite solutions to intelligence.

That's wrong.

>Algorithms aren't exclusive to programming

So you're going to do your calculations by hand?

read a book about cognitive science.

>Except you definitely do.
no you don't. for AI, sure, you need to understand programming. but do not need it for understanding how the brain works. in fact, programming logic is most likely not the way the brain actually works, but it is a decent tool to simulate cognitive functions to an extend.

>programming logic is most likely not the way the brain actually works

Needing X for Y isn't the same as claiming X is Y. Nobody's going to make significant progress in neuroscience without programming.

>for AI, sure, you need to understand programming. but do not need it for understanding how the brain works.

So, did you ignore the part where OP is asking about AI, not intelligence?

so, did you ignore the part where the poster i quoted quoted a single sentence and not the OP?

here, to freshen up your memory, this was the statement

>You don't need to understand programming to understand how a brain works.

>Except you definitely do.

objectively wrong

chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/books/IntroductionToArtificialIntelligence2ndEd_PhilipCJacksonJr.pdf

This is basic enough, and has 132 illustrations.

>You can understand how a brain works without knowing any programming

That's pretty ridiculous, senpai. Are you going to just sit there with a brain in a jar and a piece of paper and write out your observations until it all starts making sense to you? Like explain to me how this will work with you figuring out the brain and not knowing any programming?

Ah, I see, you were ignoring OP and discussing something tangentially related.

read up on neuroscience.

programming logic is not how the brain operates. it's much more complex than that, but i wouldn't expect a computer science freshman expect to understand.

ah, i see, you can't follow a basic conversation and don't know that conversations about a single topic can evolve into something tangentially related.

>Needing X for Y isn't the same as claiming X is Y.

re-read this post

The post you're replying to is in response to this:

>programming logic is not how the brain operates.

This:

(You)

>Needing X for Y isn't the same as claiming X is Y.

Is an appropriate response to that.

maybe it's better you read the entire thread again. i already stated that you do not need programming to understand here

are you done?

The specific line it was in response to is:

>programming logic is not how the brain operates.

Which is a line that mistakenly assumes "you need programming to understand the brain" is the same as "the brain's operations and programming are the same thing." You're not going to get anywhere with figuring out the brain without knowing anything about programming. Saying the brain doesn't work the same as a computer is irrelevant to that point.

first learn python. it won't take that much time. next try to find something about "virtual neuronal network" on internet. It's i think a good way to begin

>You're not going to get anywhere with figuring out the brain without knowing anything about programming
[citation needed]

i can't find the word "programming" anywhere here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience

you are completely ignoring the fields of neuroscience and psychology, both of which study the brain and try to understand it and neither of which require any knowledge in programming.

programming logic is ONE approach of MANY.

Thank you for literally being the only constructive person in this thread. You get one internet point.

>i can't find the word "programming" anywhere here

You can't find the word "programming" anywhere using your computer program which lets you access the network of computer programs that supplies the information on neuroscience that was only achievable through the use of countless of other computer programs?

nice strawman, i think we are done here.

That's not a strawman, it's called "reality."

it has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. sorry, but you lost, now go away.

>Everything that proves me wrong has nothing to do with the argument

That's a clever strategy.

What exactly does this have to do with understanding the human brain?

Try understanding the human brain with just a pen and paper using algorithms you're solving by hand because programming is just one of many different approaches and doesn't really matter for the topic.

>What is Psychology

>Psychology

Great if you don't care about ever trying to reproduce your results.

science.sciencemag.org/content/349/6251/aac4716

>We conducted replications of 100 experimental and correlational studies published in three psychology journals using high-powered designs and original materials when available. Replication effects were half the magnitude of original effects, representing a substantial decline. Ninety-seven percent of original studies had statistically significant results. Thirty-six percent of replications had statistically significant results

While I'm sure there are many approaches we have yet to take, this is basically the concepts we got going regarding the underlying concepts that we use in AI. Remember AI isn't about making a sapient consciousness, though that will likely eventually be a product of it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network
neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com/

Perhaps read through the last link, with accompanying similar resources then read through the wiki pages and resources they they provide within them. You can't really get a comprehensive idea of AI in general very easily nor will you be able to understand things like AlphaGo, but you can understand the basics of what is used.

easy, i just use the tools written by programming tools (i.e. people like you). i still don't need to know how to program and yet i still can study the brain.

AI from Berkleley via Edx is the best i can find
edx.org/course/artificial-intelligence-uc-berkeleyx-cs188-1x

>Psychology btfo

thank you