Postmodernism

This word is thrown around a lot on /tv/, /v/ and /a/ but I'm not sure if anyone knows what it actually means.

Is something postmodern simply because it breaks the fourth wall?

Does breaking away from trends and conventions make something postmodern?

I came to Veeky Forums because I think you guys might have a better grasp of the concept.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism
wall.org/~larry/pm.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>While encompassing a broad range of ideas and projects, postmodernism is typically defined by an attitude of skepticism or distrust toward grand narratives, ideologies, and various tenets of Enlightenment rationality, including the existence of objective reality and absolute truth, as well as notions of rationality, human nature, and progress. Instead, it asserts that knowledge and truth are the product of unique systems of social, historical, and political discourse and interpretation, and are therefore contextual and constructed. Accordingly, postmodern thought is broadly characterized by tendencies to epistemological and moral relativism, pluralism, self-referentiality, and irony.

It's basically Nietzsche writ large. The trouble is that so many post-modernists are invariably Leftist/Liberal in some way, which betrays an essentially apolitical/amoral world view.

>distrust toward grand narratives

Also known as "you go, girl!" Tumblr degeneracy.

>Left postmodernism

This continues not to make sense to me. Everything is up for grabs except for an utterly conventional notion of justice?

there is of course a correlation as such talk falls under grand narratives, but its entirely irrelevant you deluded idiot why even bother engaging with a FART AHAHAHHA PIXELS WAS THE BEST MOVIE OF 2015 AND JAMES FRANCO IS MY DAD?

honestly postmodernism is outdated
we are in metamodernism atm

What an incredibly stupid post.

i've only seen a couple of people on Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums with a satisfactory understanding of postmodernism. that being said, the majority of what i see isn't very accurate even on those two boards and is the same as you would find on /tv/, etc.

'breaking the fourth wall' is metafiction as far as i know, which isn't exclusive to postmodernism but can often be used in it. the same can be said of subversion, irony, satire, etc. often postmodernism will not break away from trends or conventions but utilise them in a way that subverts the conventional use, as to interrogate the disconnect between signifier and signified. i actually don't have a solid, logical, and systematically developed idea of postmodern but in a way that is really what it's about, to a point. it's a kind of honesty in that sense.

in art it's 'more postmodern' to make intertextual (intermedial?) references or make use of appropriation because of the emphasis on context and a distrust of enlightenment ideas as has posted. but i'm only thinking in terms of artists (photographers) such as richard prince, sherrie levine, cindy sherman, barbara kruger, etc. that all reference and respond to the heavily image-saturated, mediated 'post-television' culture (and art market) to which they belonged. that's what really makes something post-modern rather than use of literary devices. it's kind of anti-literary actually

tl;dr don't listen to what /tv/, /v/ and /a/ tell you, or Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums for that matter

What is metamodernism? in b4 some nonsense about irony and sincerety

>metamodernism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism

>>>/tumblr/

>if you say a stupid post that was also antitumblr is stupid you're tumblr
literally tumblr

Postmodernism is a trully interesting thing. Today's artist chooses to look back fondly on all those who came before him, draw inspiration from many, and combine everything into a new style. Personally, I can see the appeal.

Postmodernism is cancer.

Well Nietzsche did say that the forsaking of notions pertaining to evil/punishment/responsibility/justice/etc, was the most bitter pill to swallow - so it shouldn't come as any surprise that you find people who want all the perks of postmodernism, without wanting to make any of the sacrifices it demands.

Cancer is postmodern might be more accurate, my angry friend.

Read Rorty to understand how postmodernism goes with Leftism

But isn't Rorty cancerous? From what I've read he is deeply uninteresting.

It works both ways, really.

And I'm not angry in the slightest. Postmodern is literally spontaneous ruination of every existing principle for the sake of destabilizing the world.

Why would anyone use euphemisms here? Why would you want to sugarcoast destruction of morals, ideas and lives simply because it seems edgy at first sight?

Metamodernism is using the pre-established postmodern techniques to create a modern work. It's what people mean when they're being dumb and say "post-post-modernism".

It's something original(metamodern) derived from something derivative(promo) which is derived from something original(modern).

>Inb4 new sincerity
new sincerity is a joke.

Was he the first Postmodernist philosopher?

>This word is thrown around a lot on /tv/, /v/ and /a/ but I'm not sure if anyone knows what it actually means.
People know what it means; it just can't be strictly define. It doesn't need to be.

>Is something postmodern simply because it breaks the fourth wall?
Self-awareness is a common trope of postmodern art, such as breaking the fourth wall.

>Does breaking away from trends and conventions make something postmodern?
No. The entire history of art is people breaking trends on conventions. Usually what postmodernism does is either subvert them or exaggerate them in a very self-aware way.

no and no, at least not necessarily.

Cancerous to the philosophical establishment, yeah. That's why he's so great. I love how infuriated people get by him.

neoromanticism in a postmodern context

Maybe, but Rorty is invariably recommended to me by pro-establishment anons.

Do you think Trump is anti-establishment right?

I'm not a US citizen. I don't know much about the candidates.

postmodern is after modern and before pre

The thing that comes after Modernism.

An Avant-garde that is old and smelly and should really leave.

Deconstruction ("The ant is good" is really saying that the ant is bad, why else would the author put this in our minds to question and ponder but to subvert our preconceptions of the ant in a late-capitalist-post-material world?)

Irrelevant.

those existing principles were already unstable. that's the point

are you posting from the 90s?

the twin towers attack killed post-modernism, terrorism is universal and total. the end of history will come when either the islam or western society falls.

You really need to know that postmodernism started from architecture and was simply adopted by other arts like literature and, more recently, film

For me, this word is an ad hoc term to name things that are not completely comprehended yet. The term may have a solid, defined meaning, but it is so overused that it has already lost its semantics.

wall.org/~larry/pm.html

Someone's terrorist is another one's rebel fighter
Absolute notions are a meme

nah Hegel

hopefully everyone on this site is from the 90's

ageism, how postmodern of you