What mathematical concepts are essential for a patrician to know?

What mathematical concepts are essential for a patrician to know?

Recommend books.

start with the greeks

pi
euler's number
calculus
Riemann's hypothesis
0.999999... = 1

Conchoids of Nicomedes

Complex analysis and Algebraic geometry

Inter-universal geometry

That's literally not how it works. You can't just learn one scale to play all of jazz. You can't just read one book by one author to gauage his complete style. You can't just learn one aspect of biology to understand the fundamental structure of life. And you cannot learn a handful of concepts to understand all of math. This is mere "I want to impress people"-ism and is antithetical to all patrician aspirations. You cannot be patrician if you carry on in this mode of thought.

This is a Quixotic post.
This entire board's existence is nothing but what you just described.

>using Quixotic correctly

Nicely done. Include me in the screencap.

me too please

So you're saying that to be a patrician, one must understand all of math?

no, one must be born into a patrician family. an inherent understanding of all math is due to the superiority of the blood

All of them. Math is the code of the universe.

>he thinks he can learn himself into becoming patrician

You're either patrician or you aren't kid. It's not a magic trick you get out of your Veeky Forums kit.
You'd be happier if you just accepted what you are and lived life as yourself.

Minimally up through Calculus.

This comes after algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

With Calculus your mind no longer has to think linearly.

Godel's incompleteness theorems
Induction & Recursion
Topology
Surreal Numbers (On Numbers and Games is a good read)

>You can't just learn one scale to play all of jazz
Yes you can. It's called the chromatic scale, dumbass.

He incorrectly capitalized it though

start with algebra

You can't understand these without the fundamentals.
Logic is very useful to learn. Linear algebra, calculus, vector calculus, analysis are gd too. Probs should learn a bit of quantum physics and relativity too.

Incorrect.

Capitalization of adjectives derived from proper nouns is discretionary.

proofs-based mathematics T B H

good mix of cool stories and actual history

pick any number
if even divide by two
if odd multiply by three and add one
keep doing this to the results till you get to one

good to pass time and sharp your head for basic arithmetics

Inter-universal teichmüller theory

is it quixotic particularly because it is pretending to the existence of an ideal of patriciandom which does not exist in this setting, or on the basis of its idealistic hopes in themselves? in other words, is the quixotic defined specifically by ideals that are directly antagonistic to prevailing tendencies, or is it enough to be "merely" idealistic? do the communist who still hopes for proletarian revolution in a world with an evaporated proletariat and the energy mogul who dreams of replacing fossil fuels with renewable energy share the quixotic quality? or is the one quixotic and the other simply a colloquial "idealist?"

wow. thank you for this.

Well Euclid is where you should begin, of course. From there you can dive into algebra and then calculus. Once your calculus abilities are developed you pretty much have the tools to understand most higher level mathematics. If you're just interested in learning about "concepts" though.. Just try watching some Numberphile videos? You won't TRULY comprehend (be able to reproduce, deduce, explain) most of those ideas without the underpinning of a rigorous mathematical skill set.

R U D I N
U
D
I
N

ITT Veeky Forums discusses things about which Veeky Forums has no idea.

Math is a grey area of science.

>tfw too in mature in my teen years and didnt care about math
>tfw permisive post-modern parents didnt give a fuck
>tfw I realize now that math literally the most beautiful thing but i cant into it
>tfw cant into STEMhood
>tfw you fell for the humanities meme
>tfw you fell for the art meme
this interests me

It became sort of a meme in its time, but this is actually a pretty engaging book, if a bit of a slog in places, that introduces some fundamental deep mathematical concepts.

Were you born in a parallel universe in which vaccines cause autism? Was your mother a member of the anti-anti-vaxxers in said universe?

i don't think you fell for the art meme if you think math is 'beautiful'. you fell for the pseud meme though sure

>You can't just learn one scale to play all of jazz
Jazz is trash so you may as well
Mathematics is fallacious and disgusting.

Math is really great and you should spend as much time as you can manage studying it. But if the premise, is what is the most important concept in math I would say formal logic, and more specifically modus ponendo ponens. A good understanding of modus ponendo ponens (P implies Q; P is asserted to be true, so therefore Q must be true.) should be a prerequisite for participating in arguments at all.

>logic is required for arguments

>should be
as with reading

>Mathematics is fallacious and disgusting.

Said someone who's never seen a complex problem fall into elegant place in a way that allows precise understanding of it, that a million words wouldn't convey as well as two dozen characters.

This is me. I'm so sorry, bros.

relatively related, where do i start with math?

i'm really patchy and i essentially want to start over. i'm thinking of starting with algebra and working up to calc and really exploring the subject. any recs as to what my course of action should be? thanks.

>presuming

It's not elegant if it's based upon lies.

He said on his lie machine, on the network of falsehoods, using technologies compounded of a million untruths. Shouldn't you be scraping lamp black for your ink?

the problem is that math isn't a single subject. In high school they've decided that you need to learn calc because they want to make engineers.

If you end up learning math, what would your applications be?

Oh my.
Acknowledging the presumptions don't make things more false. Just because you're grown up in a forest of denial don't mean it's elegant to keep it up.

>empiricism confirms empiricism

i want to know it for fun

I'm not entirely blind to that, I just don't see any point in grumbling at the shiny things it does. But I'd like to think that the numinous and/or transcendent doesn't emit a distinct odor of sour grapes, either.

I think actually learning all the math behind things as you would in academia is mostly tedious. There is actually quite a few books aimed at the "math for fun" demographic at this time and most of them don't have any prerequisites.

>shiny things

So, you are blind to it.

it was a musical joke
he basically said that jazz is nonsense

if you think anything is beautiful then you fell for the experientialism meme

Is this actually worth it?

Everyone I know that loved maths has told me it doesn't matter what maths textbook you get if you are just starting out

So you're saying that people should dig deep into the problems of logical consequence before giving algebra a go?

I'm not trying to sound combative but it seems to have come off that way.

I want to write like Borges.
I want to apply what I have learned to medicine and nanotechnology.

What math should I learn?

even the chromatic scale needs to be transposed

>you fell for the pseud meme though sure
how do i scape from it? am i going to be a pseud for ever now?

"dig deep" is relative. I think it should have a greater part of general education then it does now, but at some point further studies in logic becomes irrelevant for appliance.

medicine is almost all calculus, for nanotechnology you need to add at least some algebra, but based on your post you would most likely just work with applied nanotechnology. So just calculus would be fine.

Learn it because you want to.

Not to be "patrician" and impress people.

I don't care for advanced mathematics, but I do want to learn formal logic so I shall.

I'd say pick pick up an introductory book on discrete mathematics. They often "start from the beginning" since discrete math often isn't covered in high school, but also don't talk down to you.

What if I want to be "patrician" because I want to, and not because I want to impress people?

>Quixotic

You didn't learn that from "The Importance of being Ernest" did you?

I only just finished reading that book and that's where I learnt it.

Then you're chasing an abstract concept

>tfw a 2 line post on Veeky Forums actually makes me reevaluate values

thanks user

>What mathematical concepts are essential for a patrician to know?
Affine and projective varieties; regular functions and maps; cones and projections,Projective space and Grassmannian,Ideals of varieties; the Nullstellensatz,Rational functions, rational maps and blowing up,Dimension and degree of a variety; the Hilbert function and Hilbert polynomial,Smooth and singular points of varieties; the Zariski tangent space; tangent cones; dual varieties,Families of varieties (Chow varieties and Hilbert schemes),algebraic curves: genus; the genus formula for plane curves,,the Riemann-Hurwitz formula. Riemann-Roch theorem.

Holomorphic and meromorphic functions,Conformal maps, linear fractional transformations, Schwartz's lemma,Complex integrals: Cauchy's theorem, Cauchy integral formula, residues,Harmonic functions: the mean value property; the reflection principle; Dirichlet's problem,Series and product developments: Laurent series, partial fractions expansions, and canonical products,Special functions: the Gamma function, the zeta functions and elliptic functions,basics of Riemann surfaces,Riemann mapping theorem. Picard theorems.

Fundamental groups,Covering spaces,Higher homotopy groups.,Fibrations and the long exact sequence of a fibration,Singular homology and cohomology,Relative homology,CW complexes and the homology of CW complexes.,Mayer-Vietoris,Universal coefficient theorem,Kunneth formula,Poincare duality,Lefschetz fixed point formula,Hopf index theorem

Basics of smooth manifolds: Inverse function theorem, implicit function theorem, submanifolds, integration on manifolds,Basics of matrix Lie groups over R and C: The definitions of Gl(n), SU(n), SO(n), U(n), their manifold structures, Lie algebras, right and left invariant vector fields and differential forms, the exponential map.,Definition of real and complex vector bundles, tangent and cotangent bundles, basic operations on bundles such as dual bundle, tensor products, exterior products, direct sums, pull-back bundles.,Definition of differential forms, exterior product, exterior derivative, de Rham cohomology, behavior under pull-back.,Metrics on vector bundles.,Riemannian metrics, definition of a geodesic, existence and uniqueness of geodesics.,Definition of a principal Lie group bundle for matrix groups.,Associated vector bundles: Relation between principal bundles and vector bundles,Definition of covariant derivative for a vector bundle and connection on a principal bundle. Relations between the two.,Definition of curvature, flat connections, parallel transport.,Definition of Levi-Civita connection and properties of the Riemann curvature tensor.

Convergence theorems for integrals, Borel measure, Riesz representation theorem,Lp space, Duality of Lp space, Jensen inequality,Lebesgue differentiation theorem, Fubini theorem, Hilbert space,Complex measures of bounded variation, Radon-Nikodym theorem.,Fourier series, Fourier transform, convolution.

What is the point that you are trying to make?

I don't see any connection between what you're saying and OP's post. OP does not want to understand all of math. Only the math that is required to be patrician. That's not to say that trying to be "patrician" is a worthwhile endeavor.

>I don't see any connection

That's because you're stupid

this
THIS

Seconding this, GEB is a delight