ITT: Veeky Forums methods for learning/note-taking

I was thinking that we would make a thread sharing our learning/note-taking methods, and ultimately see who can come up with the best & most efficient for learning & retention.

Here, I'll start with my method:

I use the Cornell method, except on alternate pages I usually write answers to the questions I form which helps with revision. I also put my questions into Anki which helps with recall - it's also accessible on mobile phones.

I don't bother with note-taking software (like Evernote, OneNote) because honestly, all of the smart students in my class don't do it - they use good old pen & paper.

Other urls found in this thread:

calnewport.com/blog/2015/11/25/the-feynman-notebook-method/
calnewport.com/blog/2009/04/06/4-weeks-to-a-40-streamline-your-notes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pen and paper

Only important shit that isnt in the book, or is specific examples

Anki cloze+io after class

You're better off asking political science majors. Honestly, it's organized.

What do you mean by io?

Write down stuff I don't know, what I didn't see at all in the book the night before, and specific examples which show exceptions to some rules and etc. Use Anki for definitions and mechanisms.

>taking notes
>not using your brain

Image occulsion.

Does anyone else not take notes? I do it for two reasons:

1. I'm a slow writer and end up missing a lot if I try to take notes.
2. I feel like it's easier to maintain full attention of the actual substance of the lecture rather than distracting myself with my writing.

I write notes for virtually every sentence and I take my sweet time. Always pen and paper, if you type it you'll retain nothing.

Don't be afraid to spend a LONG time taking notes, it's extremely important if you want to be successful.

Take notes on important results in class
Read the text

Use the two to re write the subject in your own words.

Do problems
If there's difficulty, refer to your re-write
Do more problems until you don't have to look.

If you still have issues, see ta/prof.

Or /pol/?

Input/output system

>read book in advance
>write down definitions, important theorems/lemmas, relevant results, etc.
>write in a post it the stuff that I did not understand while reading for clarification during lectures
>complement my notes during lecture and write down/ work out some examples

Always pen and paper, if I really like the subject I will transcribe my notes in Latex, print them and put them in a binder

Yeah I agree. The only reason people who take notes need their notes is because they weren't paying full attention the first time because they were distracted by taking their notes.

taking notes can help exercise your thoughts on a subject sir SIR

Muh method is to take notes on anything my brain says is important, then I put it into a schematic format where everything ties into everything. I even include my own weird analogies/allegories to important or off track topics I know I'll want to know later for the sake of retention.

>memory retention is so bad I couldn't tell you what I learned a couple hours ago, much less sit down a week prior to the test re-comprehending all the stuff I sort of got in the lecture

I hate how my brain is wired desu

my hands down best method for retention in college classes was always recording my teachers lecture (if it was worthwhile) then I would listen to my lectures while I was at work. Minimal writing and effort, maximum retention. Had to ask for special permission to take pictures of things I needed to visually retain but there was often no problem there as long as people weren't in the shot.

record everything digitally and take smart pills

By the time you finish high school you should be in a state where you can teach yourself. High school is learning how to learn.

The reliance of students on teachers is so fucking horrifying to me. Then we hire kids like this out of college and they expect their employer to teach them everything again because they like had that class three years ago man.

Adequate literacy by eight grade, practice learning 9-12, put into practice what you learned for your bachelor's.

If you don't know how to learn by now you're already behind. Read the book. Work the exercises. Do the problems. All the problems, not just the ones you were assigned as "homework." Having trouble with your algebra? Buy a used algebra text or some dover book and do those exercises.

It's never too late but it's easy to forget that in the end it is your life, your hands, your brain, not your teachers', and not your employers'.

Cal newport's blog is full of suggestions

calnewport.com/blog/2015/11/25/the-feynman-notebook-method/

calnewport.com/blog/2009/04/06/4-weeks-to-a-40-streamline-your-notes/

You take notes of things you don't know/understand completely so you can work on them later.

You also write down every single equation or proof presented in class and then test yourself by trying to figure it out later. Sometimes these are adhoc on the board and not included in the official class notes posted later.

just do practice problems you dont need to do anything else

This is true for everything except math. You need to take notes in math (and probably science too). Humanities are for brainlets anyways.

Only brainlets write things down

Sharing this, anyone got anymore?