Here's a weird experience:

Here's a weird experience:

I started reading these books in 2005 but didn't finish them. I started again in 2011 and finished them after each other and loved them.

But now that the tv show has become mainstream and there are dozens of pop-culture reference. ("It is known", "Winter is coming","Valar Morghulis" etc.) The whole thing reads like one big meme now. series I have started hating it and I'm not sure if I'll read the Winds of Winter at this rate(if it ever gets published).

Has any of you had this before?

Also what's an equally good or fantasy better series that hasn't reached mainstream yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

ballofbeasts.weebly.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Outlander series any good?

>want a sixth book so bad that they split book 3 into 2 books.

why did the split thethird book?

Euro versions are split into two. Same goes for Dance with Dragons.

People here tend to read them on public transport which makes it easier to carry around.

I read the first book but haven't bothered with the others. Are they worth reading, or do they just get progressively worse? I enjoyed the first novel but I don't want to get sucked in if it just declines in quality.

The Magicians to an extent. It's contemporary and a show was made for it but overall most people wouldn't know about it.

The series peaked at the third book( A Storm of Sword) so I'd say the first three are definitely worth it. The last two books are one big clusterfuck and it's obvious George RR has bit of more than he can chew. They're only worth it if you really like the world. Otherwise you might as well watch the show to see how the story ends.

As said, if you get into the world and just enjoy the act of Martin telling you about it then 4 and 5 are great. But it's pretty rambling and you have to get through a lot of boring Brienne and Dany stuff to get to the juicy subplots and world building. Lots of unnecessary POV characters too, especially in aDwD.

surelly i can't be the only one who sees how bad these books are?

tell us more O wise and enlightened one, tell us how you learned to see through the veneer of differing tastes to recognise somethings awfulness unlike us dumb plebs.

That opinion is so completely standard on Veeky Forums that most people don't bother voicing it anymore.

The books were always shit, but you have a particularly extreme case of Hipsteritis.

This desu

Yeah, GoT has some problems. It's terrible to actually read, but it's an enjoyable story.

I hate the TV after the last 2.5 seasons, and hate that it's mainstream now.

>The Wheel of Time
I can't wait for the show, but I also know the same will happen when it does well.

Hell yeah, duggy.

>hate that it's mainstream now.

It's rather interesting that this people you despise so much are able to influence your taste by simply liking things.

The older, smaller format UK paperbacks for ASoS that I have are both well over 600pp, so I'd guess they split that to print manageable paperbacks without making the print too small. I have the UK hardback for ADwD, but the non-tie-in paperbacks seem to be about 600 and 700 pages each, so the same would apply.

I don't get this stuff about the books peaking in A Storm of Swords. A Feast for Crows has a lot of dull moments, and after I finished it I felt like I never wanted to read a description of a slashed velvet doublet ever again, but A Dance with Dragons delivered hard.
If you don't read it, you'll completely miss out on for example Victarion Greyjoy, since even the TV-series has dropped including him for some reason.
I stopped watching the show about halfway through the third season except for the odd snippet here and there. I also mentally block out most references to the show to avoid getting jaded. I'm sure The Winds of Winter will be worth reading when it comes out in about 8 years.

Read Gene Wolfe. He'll never be mainstream.

You should check this out
ballofbeasts.weebly.com/

It combined AFFC and ADWD into one book in order to make the flow better. It works well since they both take place at the same time.

>Also what's an equally good or fantasy better series that hasn't reached mainstream yet?
Darkness that comes before

Thanks for the advice people, I'll be diving in shortly.

I don't hate them because they've become mainstream. I hate them because it reads like one big meme.

I've heard so many people say shit like "Winter is coming" or "You know nothing, X" in a satirical way that I can't take it serious when I read it in the books.

The Wheel Of Time differs from ASOIAF in the fact that the source material is incredibly bogged down with irrelevant filler shit.

The TV show will be better by default because they will be forced to trim the fat, and cousin, there's a shitload of fat to trim.

The books were always terrible and the fanbase for the awful show is insufferable.

This

Thirded, I like asoiaf but Wolfe is on a whole other level.

>I started again in 2011 and finished them after each other and loved them
But the show was popular in 2011 too?

It only got popular during the following season.

That's not how it works.

It's the effect of secondary content becoming diluted with shit once the mainstream gets their hands on it. I don't want to be associated with that group.

That and it rips the nostalgia goggles right off of your face. You're forced to realize that Game of Thrones wasn't as great as you once believed.

Dumb fucking darkfriend.

Lot's of fat is good for flavor, but if you only have room for 8oz in your belly you'll want the meat.

stop being so highbrow memecultured and just enjoy it ya dingus

Don't listen to the people calling you a hipster, this is a real thing, it's weird when your interest shifts from being niche and somewhat your own to a pop culture phenomenon. Also it's annoying seeing people embrace something that you know they wouldn't have if you had recommended it to them years earlier. I'm not saying that this is a good thing, just how it is for a lot of people.

i feel like the wheel of time show wont go over as well as game of thrones because there isnt any sex in it. in GOT (the show) they really play up the fact people are fucking or surrounded by naked chicks or whatever, but wheel of time doesnt really have that other than the sweat tents with the aiel......idk i think it wont be as big of a deal as GOT

In the 2000s I read up to the feast for crows, but dragon dance came out so late I had no interest in re-reading the entire series to familiarize myself with it.

Also felt like it was losing the interesting point of views in favor of newer and less appealing characters or shit from the get go like Daenerys.

If the Wheel of time show is on HBO You will get sex in it.