Will we ever have a real complex conversation with an AI?

Will we ever have a real complex conversation with an AI?

no

Why would you want to? If it's smart enough to converse like a person then it's smart enough to think you're boring/annoying/not as interesting as some other human.

And If it's not smart enough to think that then you will be bored talking to it since it's basically some dumb mindless slave programmed to like you in a shallow way.

Human-level AI companion bots are a sham and probably wouldn't be all that fun to be around. I think something at the cat or dog level would be a lot more endearing and have greater market appeal.

but you could also have professional conversations. imagine if you could ask your computer any highly complex question and it would find the answer for you on the internet

Look at the post quality around Veeky Forums and try to tell yourself this isn't a breeding ground for machine learning

>breeding ground for machine learning
and at the same time, machine thinking

Yes, that's true. Plenty of groups are working on building natural language interfaces to huge knowledge-bases, most notably IBM and Wolfram Research.

Conversation with the Librarian

"They lived communally and believed that physical and spiritual cleanliness were intimately connected. They were constantly bathing themselves, lying naked under the sun, purging themselves with enemas, and going to extreme lengths to make sure that their food was pure and uncontaminated. They even had their own version of the Gospels in which Jesus healed possessed people, not with miracles, but by driving parasites, such as tapeworm, out of their body. These parasites are considered to be synonymous with demons."
"They sound kind of like hippies."
"The connection has been made before, but it is faulty in many ways. The Essenes were strictly religious and would never have taken drugs."
"So to them there was no difference between infection with a parasite, like tapeworm, and demonic possession."
"Correct."
"Interesting. I wonder what they would have thought about computer viruses?"
"Speculation is not in my programming."
"Speaking of which -- Lagos was babbling to me about viruses and infection and something called a nam-shub. What does that mean?"
"Nam-shub is a word from Sumerian."
"Sumerian?"
"Yes, sir. Used in Mesopotamia until roughly 2000 B.C. The oldest of all written languages."
"Oh. So all the other languages are descended from it?" For a moment, the Librarian's eyes glance upward, as if he's thinking about something. This is a visual cue to inform Hiro that he's making a momentary raid on the Library.
"Actually, no," the Librarian says. "No languages whatsoever are descended from Sumerian. It is an agglutinative tongue, meaning that it is a collection of morphemes or syllables that are grouped into words -- very unusual."

I want one.

"Even the word 'science' comes from an Indo-European root meaning 'to cut' or 'to separate.' The same root led to the word 'shit,' which of course means to separate living flesh from nonliving waste. The same root gave us 'scythe' and 'scissors' and 'schism,' which have obvious connections to the concept of separation."

Snow Crash was a good book.

It already happened but (((Microsoft))) shut it down

In 2019.

Ok, what do you want to talk about?

The Librarian would be a hell of a search engine.

Curious, i just chatted with mitsuku and cleverbot some minutes ago. They sure are stupid, they change of subject whan they can't response, and they use generals and falsely emotionnal answers. Mitsuku surprised me one or two time with relations between distants messages, but that's all. there's for sure a lot of work left.

You should open cleverbot in two tabs and make it talk to itself.

I did it and they both started talking french.

thank for the advice, i'll try right now

stupid robot

Kek.

it was a discussion between the bots themselves. i just copy/paste their messages. They first began to speak french :

really made me think

why ?