Making gulash, this shit is just too easy and tastes great. Takes at least 2h though

Making gulash, this shit is just too easy and tastes great. Takes at least 2h though.

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/231009/chef-johns-beef-goulash/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what's in it?

looks like dates

Yep. Not very good money value though. The meat shrinks a lot, the sauce doesn't make much for the volume, and you need some kind of filler to make a sating meal. True you can (and even should) use cheapest cut there is, but still you need loads of meat to make a decent pot of goulash.

how is something using cheap cuts of meat and onions, with a side of spätzle (egg+flour) and no expensive spices besides paprika bad value?

Say, I'm buying steak, fine cut, one pound will get me some 4 servings. A high-quality meal, but poor money value.

I can buy twice as much of the cheap cut for goulash - and I'll end up with 4 servings as well. Not considered "high quality", but still quite delicious - I'd say the same money value as the steak.

Or I'll buy the cheap cut, ground, use it in meat loaf, and I'll have ten servings. Not as tasty as goulash, but I get way more for the same amount of money.

add some sour cream my nigga

throw over egg noodles

EXPERIENCE LIFE

>says he's making gulasch
>posts perkelt

What accursed place do you live where 1kg of meat shrinks into 500g when you cook it?

I live in the US now, where meat is cheap and cheap meat, for obvious reasons, is even cheaper. I can make nine servings of either gulyás or pörkölt for only about $5.50US, a total cost of only 62¢ or so per serving for a beef one. Add 13¢ or so for whatever carb I cook up to eat it with and that's a complete meal for around 75¢. How is that expensive?
By contrast, I bought a USDA choice prime rib roast yesterday and had the butcher cut it into steaks for me. Each steak costs around $4.28. That's over 5× more expensive and that doesn't include the veg or carb.

Anyway, my favourite cheap stew is sertésmájpörkölt, which is made of plain or smoked pork liver. That one costs even less, around 44¢ per serving.

Hungary ain't a rich country, boy-o. Hungarian food is cheap to make but delicious as fuck for a reason.

>Takes at least 2h though
Sounds like the perfect dish for the pressure cooker?

Poland here. 1kg of cheap shoulder pork is 13PLN, about $3, and it makes four decent meals of Porkolt/Goulash/whatever you choose to call the variant OP posted. Decent beef is around 30PLN/kg ($7). With country's median salary of aroung $350/month it's definitely on the 'luxury' side,

That looks like authentic Texas chili

looks good.

Post """"traditional"""" recipe pl0x

From what I recall it's petty close to a stew that I love, so I wanna try it some time

Traditional "polish goulash"

1kg of any cheap cut, e.g. pork shoulder. Though you can use pretty much any cheap cut of any meat.
2 medium onions.
A couple bay leaves,
A couple of allspice seeds
About 1tbsp of paprika (mild)
about 1tsp of spicy paprika / chili
salt to taste.
Optionally, garlic.

A common pot, NOT non-stick kind, and nothing fancy because you'll be getting discolorations that, while harmless, are about impossible to remove. Also, a skillet is helpful.

Chop the meat, between ~1" and 1cm size pieces, smaller is better.

Put it in the pot, with the minuscule amount of water. Not a very high heat. Sear thoroughly, to the brink of burning. Let the meat lose all the water, then reduce it, then keep searing until thoroughly browned, possibly a little black in places. The essential point is to build up a lot of gunky residue on the pot, which becomes the base of delicious sauce.

Chop onion, roughly - no need to make it tiny neat cuts; pretty thick half-rings is good enough. Either add the onion near the end of searing, so that it gets nicely browned right on time, or - if you're not sure about timing - brown it in the skillet, then add to the meat.

Add water to cover the meat plus some more. Add the rest of ingredients.

Cover and simmer for at least an hour, although four hours is better. Stir occasionally; add water as it evaporates. Properly done is when the onion is entirely dissolved in the sauce, no recognizable pieces of it left.

also: you can use slow cooker. Begin normally, in the pot, but when the meat is done, move it to slow cooker, and thoroughly deglaze the pot. Leave on low for 8h. In this case add chili and paprika closer to the end of cooking.

damn curious thing about paprika. It's perfectly fine to simmer it for 4 hours... but over 8h is too much, and it acquires some really awful acrid smell.

What about wine instead of water

Poland is also an unlivable Eastern bloc shithole.

Nonsense.

The taste of the sauce is so intense, whatever wine might contribute will be entirely lost. It will only add sugar which may burn on the bottom and spoil everything.

One of the reasons why "any cut". You really won't be able to tell the difference. The sauce, with deeply browned meat - mallard reaction - is so totally dominating the taste the rest is mostly lost. You can actually skip onion if you want - the only actual effect will be that you'll end up with less of the goulash; it nearly doesn't affect the taste, it just contributes to the volume without diluting it.

It is. But we've got some pretty good food.
Kielbasa, Pierogi?

I've spent a lot of time in Chicago, so I understand how good Polish food can be, but I also understand how monumentally incompetent and borderline retarded Polish people can be.

Hi Polbro.
Why are you comparing cheap pork with decent beef? Checking the website for a supermarket in Budapest, sirloin steak is 3450ft/kg right now (about $5.23/lb). That's cheaper than where I live now in the US where a local supermarket has it for $6.89/lb. That's a semi expensive cut.
If you get a cheap one, though, like boneless shin, the cost is a lot more manageable. The site gives the price for "cubes of beef" (which is almost always boneless shin) at 1199ft/kg (about $1.81/lb). Super cheap.

Are you really saying you eat 250g of meat in one meal? Average Hungarian eats about that much meat in one day, but not all in one meal.

You're facing the refuse that was too retarded to make their lives in the country, so they moved to USA. People in Poland in majority aren't as shitty as the Polish Emigration.

$1.81/lb - yep, not only you won't find beef that cheap here, it's the difference in salaries.

And yes, the 250g of the cheap cut after searing, before adding water, will be about 100g. After you add water and onion, you're getting back to the 250g which makes a neat soup bowl, add two-three slices of bread, and you have a breakfast or supper; alternatively serve with potatoes and salad and you have a dinner.

And yes, 250g of meat per a single serving for most foods is excessive - but in case of this dish is about normal. Just the nature of this dish.

Think about grilled sausages. 250/3 = 83g. Grilling will remove a good 1/4 of that. You'll be left of a 60 gram serving.
The sausages in the picture are roughly 300g each, and constitute common servings, although eating two is still not a sign of gluttony. Just the nature of the meal.

That makes sense, since it seems like they can barely even handle being a valet or a garbage picker. I can't imagine them running a country.

sounds like lunch and dinner

1 kg of cheap pork (shoulder works fine) I often mix it up with some beef too (ratio 8 pork : 2 beef)
6 middle sized onions / 2-3 big onions
20g dried mushroom (I think it's called Boletus in english, we call it Steinpilz)
1 liter beef stock (or water if you are on the cheap side)
1 can of chunked tomatoes in own juice or fresh equivalent
25g butter
2-3 table spoons paprika powder (more hot than mild)
pepper and salt

>Preparations:
soak mushrooms in water overnight
slice the onions
meat should be cut in bite-sized chunks

>Heat butter in a big pot
>fry meat on full heat until it's fully brown everywhere
>add sliced onions and stir everything until the onions are soft
>add paprika powder, salt and pepper liberally
>stir until everything is evenly red
>add tomatoes and scratch off the caramelized stuff from the bottom of the pot, the tomato juice should do that by itself and you barely have to do anything
>add mushroom with soaking water
>add beef broth
>simmer with lid for 1 - 2 hours

You can serve it with any potato based side dish, pasta and rice work too. Peas are also a good addition for extra fiber.

pork in goulash, blasphemy.

use only beef or wild, pork will never have the consistency and taste needed.

People who add sour cream to every stew or chili disgust me

Hungarian here.

Whaty the fuck is this thread.

Gulyas is a fucking soup you cunts. A soup. It's not meat in Gravy like whatever the fuck this is:

You have a recipe friendo?

It's from this recipe:

allrecipes.com/recipe/231009/chef-johns-beef-goulash/

At the bottom it says

>eal goulash is more like a soup, so if you want yours thinner, just add 2 or 3 extra cups of broth.

I know fuck all abouit goulash/gulyas/etc, so I won't pretend to know if that's a legitimate way of making it, but there's a lot of recipes that look like it below

my secret is to add a teaspoon of caraway seeds to my pork goulash

was to impatient and only browned most of the meat, hoping for the best

i love gulash yes

can i sear meat in a seperate pan and add it in? i want to make sure i get a thick consistency to the broth

Is that a gypsy dish?

stew > soup version

Fight me kiddo

My mouther always told me to beware of Hungarians. She told me a Hungarian can follow you into a revolving door and come out in front of you, you're a tricky thieving people.

thanks for the 'cipe my russian friendo

Hungarian here. I have seen Goulash made in the rural outbacks of Hungary and also in inner city Budapest. My own Mother makes it frequently as well.

Goulash is supposed to be a stew composed of your preferred meat (usually pork but beef is fine), ALWAYS potato, and ALWAYS carrot. Beyond that, you can use whatever combination of spices, herbs, sauces, salt, etc... to make it taste the way you want but you can't miss the critical components.

Pic related is what hungarian goulash should look like and hopefully gives you an idea of how big to cut the meat and vegetables

Civilized person here.
Goulash should NEVER contain carrots and ALWAYS bell peppers.

I hope this clears things up for you dirty subhumans.

What is your aversion to carrots? It goes very well in goulash. They become very soft and saturated with the broth. It tastes amazing. Bell peppers can't retain flavor the same way

Carrots and bell peppers don't go well together.
Bell peppers give flavour, not retain it.

How fucking retarded are you?

>This meal using cheap cuts and cheap "extenders" (e.g. flour, rice, even beans) sure is epensive

i should have used a broth instead of water, anything i can do 2 hours in to give it a kick? was thinking of mixing in a roux?

>Pic related is what hungarian goulash should look like

My Polish mom always made it like that.

Are you fucking dumb? Your comment doesn't even make sense to the point where I'm not even sure how to explain to you how it doesn't make sense

Fuckin idiot

Posts like this piss me off because I can't understand how stupid you must be to think like this

just looks like hamburger helper

DON'T YOU FUCKIN TALK THAT WAY ABOUT NEWFIELAND I WILL FUCKIN END YOU AND YOUR BLOODLINE.

pl here
>With country's median salary of aroung $350/month
median salary is 3400 pln brutto, 2435 pln netto or 800 $ brutto or 572 $ netto

Hungarian here too, very perplexed by this thread. Haven't once seen the shit posted in this thread served as Gulyas around here.

>follow you into a revolving door and come out in front of you,

hahahaha that's fucking hilarious

You eat gypsy gulyas that had to be watered down because gypsies and hungarians are poor, not the actual authethic austrian goulash that OP posted which is thicker and only has beef in it.

>because gypsies and hungarians
gypsies = hungarians

That looks about right, user.

>MFW I SEE PEOPLE PREPARING GOULAS HWITHOUT CARROT

Teach me your Magyar ways

Thanks for the recipes and advice.

How about posting your Mom's recipe?

Make sure to deglaze the pan thoroughly.

Also - add roux at the end. No need for true dark roux, but make it darker than plain light roux.

>t. magyar pro

Thing is the name followed a different food abroad. What you call Porkolt is what most of the rest of the world calls Goulash.

Accept it - such things happen and it's not a culinary phenomenon but a linguistic one. And yep, it's as factually incorrect and simultaneoulsy as solidified in culture, as calling Native Americans "Indians".

Can any magyarbro point in the right direction of a proper sertéspörkölt recipe?

I fucking love that shit.

My mother's is a bit less traditional than most because she coats the pork in the paprika in order to both flavour the cooking fat with paprika goodness as well as give the pork a nice colour. When you add the stock, broth or water to cover and bring to a simmer, the paprika washes away from the pork and thickens the whole stew.

Our recipe:
Pork, a leaner stewing cut (like the shoulder), 500g
Paprika, as needed
>my family use noble only because pork doesn't have much flavour and other types of paprika would typically drown out its flavour, but other people like to use stronger varieties or a mix of different types of paprika

Onions, medium-small/small, 4
>or 2 large
Garlic, 5 cloves
Plum tomato, 1 medium
Lard, 5tbsp
>or oil, if you're worried about saturated fat/cholesterol
Salt, as needed
White wine, as necessary
>1-2 cups is about right
Tomato concentrate, 1-2 tbsp
>if you can't find tomato concentrate, you can fake it a bit by using dried tomatoes that have been run through the food processor with a little boiling water
Laurels, 1-2
Optional, but recommended: caraway seeds, 1-2 tsp
Stock, broth or plain water, 500ml
>i use pork stock, but my mother uses mushroom stock and many use veg broth, plain water or water and stock cubes
Salt and pepper, to taste

Cut the pork into cubes and put into a bowl.
Using your fingers, toss the pork with as much paprika as necessary that the cubes feel mostly dry and powdery to the touch and set aside.
Thinly slice the onion, crush and mince the garlic and peel and crush the tomato.
Add the aromatics and lard to a pan, salt generously and set to high heat.
When fragrant, watch for the garlic to start to blond then add a third of the wine.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the wine reduces out and the garlic starts to brown then add half the remaining wine.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the wine reduces out and the onions starts to caramelise then add whatever wine is left.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the wine reduces out then add the paprika dusted pork.
Sear the pork cubes a bit then add the concentrate, laurels and stock.
Whisk to distribute the concentrate a bit then add the stock.
Bring to the boil, lower to maintain a simmer and allow to stew gently until reduced, nicely thick and strongly resembles the OP pic ITT.
Serve up and season to taste.
Makes five servings.

Whole thing takes about an hour or so and the time is only slight affected by the amount you're making, so multiply the recipe for larger batches and freeze in serving sizes.

>something almost everyone in hungary does
>secret

I always heard that gulash is a gypsy potion meant to steal your soul so they can waltz in your house and take your posessions. Any truth to this? Anyone have any black outs or strange experiences after eating gulash?

I made this today after reading about it, very good for such a simple dish
almost suspiciously good

I once stubbed my toe two days after eating goulash.

I once got really drunk while cooking it

If you cook it like a Hungarian (sear your meat well and let it reduce almost/entirely dry a few times), you will have fantastic chili that thickens itself. It's true for almost any stew involving meat with a lot of bone, cartilage, fat, and/or gristle.

Bitch please

Gimme some burek

Hng

SOUR CREAM CONTRIBUTES NOTHING OF VALUE TO ANY SOUP OR STEW EVER MADE. ITS BASICALLY EQUAL TO MAYONNAISE IN TERMS OF OVERALL USELESSNESS AS A FOOD PRODUCT.

Gypsies != Hungarians
There are Gypsies in Hungary, but they're less than 3% of the population. You're thinking Bulgarians. /They're/ gypsies. Pic related: everyday Hungarian women telling everyone to take care of one another.

Will try this. Thanks

By contrast, these are everyday Gypsie people. Note how disgustingly Pajeet-like they look. That's because that's exactly what they are: a buncha Pajeets so disgusting that even the other Pajeets don't want them around so they kicked them out of Pajeetland and they've been wandering, stateless, ever since. Pajeetistan really ought to take them all back.

"Real" goulash tends to thin, greasy and soup like tasting strongly of paprika and little else. It's served with pickles and yoghurt/sour cream as a side.

The thick meaty stew with the cream in it is a westernisation.

>westernisation
No. It's just a mislabeling of one Hungarian with the name of another. What foreigners eat as "goulash" is what Hungarians would call perkelt (that's how it is pronounced; it's written as pörkölt).
They're both good, though.

Thanks user. Every day's a school day.

mouthfeel

If hungarian is still here, please tell me how to make this, but it might be polish, I forgot.

Haha, fuck, it's weird reading that word. I don't think I have ever heard anyone but my mother say it.

Anyone here ever have Paprikash? Probably the Eastern European Dish I've eaten the most. So Fucking good, especially with some potato dumplings.

So its just paprika stew

Essentially yes.

>You're facing the refuse that was too retarded to make their lives in the country, so they moved to USA. People in Poland in majority aren't as shitty as the Polish Emigration.
>he thinks he's the better sort

topkek
I didn't have family members who worked as Soviet Snitches and/or Belong to PZPR so I'd rather leave and earn more in a civilized country that doesn't treat its populace like retards.

Hey fuck you Hun, Bulgarian here. Yes there's ALOT of gypsies. Also pomaks, which are worse.

Gulash is good though. Wouldn't real red peppers chopped into it go well witht he whole thing?

Personally, I never considered Bulgaria to be gypsy-central. I group Bulgaria in more with Ukraine which is just filled with generic slavs. I have always associated the gypsy population with places like Romania and some of the balkan regions (serbia, montenegro, and even croatia tbqhfam)

Is it okay to make gulash with normal paprika when you can't find Hungarian paprika? I couldn't find

>8380825

Its slovak national food called halusky. Look for slovak potato dumplings recipes. Might be hard to find the bryndza cheese though, which is essential ingredient in it.

meant as a reply to

First time that I see someone call something with pasta a "goulash". Looks tasty though ofc.

Does anyone know what that drink is in the picture? It looks pretty nice.

Sour milk, often drank with halusky

Awesome, thank you very much kind user

See , though I thought it was Czech.
Not sure how Slovaks/Czechs make it, but there are two versions, one sweet and one savoury, made in Hungary. That one in your pic is obviously the savoury one.
The Hungarian name just translates as "dumplings with sheep's cottage cheese." Juhtúró (the cheese) might be hard to find where you live. I live in the US now and find a substitution of regular cottage cheese whipped a little creamy goat's cheese and a little sour cream to work okay.
Get some smoked pork fat, cut it into cubes, cook them on low heat to render their grease then add chopped onion and up the heat until the pork fat cubes are crisped.
Remove to a bowl, then pour back into the pan, straining to keep (and reserve) the solid bits.
Mix 250g of flour with 2 large eggs and a bit of water as necessary and mix together into a shaggy dough.
Drop by the clumpful into salted boiling water. There are three ways to do this:
1) board and knife
Place the dough on the board and scrape a little at a time into the water with the knife. This is difficult for a first timer.
2) potato press
Oil the inside of the press and put the dough in it then press into strands into the water. This is easy, but the shape and texture will be off.
3) spoons and bowl
Scoop dough from the bowl with a tablespoon then scoop the dough out of the spoon with a second spoon. This one takes forever.

Drain the boiled dumplings then sauté them in the grease.
Plate up, top with warmed cottage cheese and a bit of the pork fat/onions and serve.

Sweet version omits the pork and onions, whips the cheese with sugar and adds a cooked fruit of some kind like apple sauce, stewed plums or sour cherry compote.

I'm sorry they're all over your country, Bulgarbro. At least you have beautiful women like pic related.

Also, yeah, you can add actual bell peppers if you want, but you must add paprika powder as well cuz that's where most of the colour/flavour comes from.

Oh dear, I remember that dish when I was a kid and we went for holidays always in the slovensky rai.
Thats awesome delicious stuff.

bump for more goulash recipes.