What's the word/phrase for defining something or someone by what they aren't?

What's the word/phrase for defining something or someone by what they aren't?

For example, if you ask me what is good, and I say "Well, it's not murdering children, it's not stealing, etc.," then what am I doing?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophatic_theology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus–differentia_definition
plato.stanford.edu/entries/love/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophatic_theology
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not sure but try
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negation

Also try this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophatic_theology

Though apophasis has other specific rhetorical meanings

Thanks, but it's more of a casual idiom/phrase than a formal philosophical method/theory.

Also maybe worth noting is that I already tried various search engines which are all rendered useless when your query includes "define" because then all they want to give you is definitions of words.

litote

Litote is trope that builds a slightly positive connotation through a negative grammatical construction.

I.e. That Shelley talks a lot but she's not undesirable.

Definition by Genus and Difference, or, A Genus-differentia defintion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus–differentia_definition

This might not be what you are looking for

>For example, if you ask me what is good, and I say "Well, it's not murdering children, it's not stealing, etc.," then what am I doing?
"good" has a slightly positive connotation, bro

Hate to be THAT guy, but "litote" is not a word. There is no such thing as "a litote", just the rhetorical device "litotes".

Oh, and it also doesn't have to be only slightly positive. For example, if you comment about a girl saying that she's insanely hot, I might say "well, she isn't ugly" as a way of agreeing with you.

This is different than what you posted in the OP

the guy who can't speak french? or the guy who can't speak greek?

plato.stanford.edu/entries/love/

>rhetorical device

aren't those words though

OP here. That guy isn't me.

Critic. Basically you are just a bitch who posits nothing and can only attempt to negate the actual creativity of your superiors. Grow the fuck up.

That is not what I was meant. I'm not necessarily talking about values exclusively I just mean anyone defining anything or anyone by what that thing or person is not. For example, instead of saying you want to hire a painter, you might say "I want someone to work on my house who is not a plumber, not an electrician, and not a carpenter."

It is literally this then OP

why do you want a butcher to work on your house?

Trying too hard to fit in.

I'm not sure if there's a word for it, but you're euphemistically slighting someone, implying they have no value to bring, except for the value that comes associated with being a normal human.

Because it implies that he cares little about the work and just wants it taken care of by someone quickly. (or maybe it's just sarcasm?)

What the fuck are you talking about? I am talking about a term in English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

I really have no clue what the hell you're even trying to say.

How much simpler can I make this for you people. When referring to that particular rhetorical device while using the English language, we say "litotes". Always. There is no such fucking thing as "a litote". If you want to refer to the use of this rhetorical device, you would say "The writer employed litotes to emphasize the woman's beauty" NOT "The writer employed a litote . . . " Is that clear enough?

#
I'm not OP. I meant that litotes does not have to be used only to give a slightly positive connotation, but can also give a dramatically positive connotation, as in the example of my previous post.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophatic_theology

Probably not what youre looking for, but interesting nonetheless

damn she ugly