>dating a qt sensitive arts major
>both vegan
>both sensitive
>both suffering from several self-diagnosed personality disorders
>regularly attend readings by local poets and authors
>have met tao lin two times
>take xanax and lean almost every weekend
>about to publish my first chapbook with a small independent publisher
>wear oversized but formal clothing to represent my ambivalence towards the traditional masculine image
>semi-ironically autistic
>own an iPhone, Macbook, iPad and Kindle
>comprehend and distribute the latest memes and macro images
>post on Veeky Forums at least three hours each day
>maintain a post-ironic attitude towards life and inter-personal relationships

Q: Could I be any more contemporary? I seriously think I've reached the peak of contemporary culture in terms of my lifestyle.

Did you like taipei?

naturally one post on Veeky Forums does not allow the necessary space to properly articulate my appreciation for the novel 'taipei', but for the sake of concision i'll say that yes, i did 'like' taipei

Damn, congrats man. And here I am styck on postmodernism.

>i'm the best at conforming
jesus literacy and logic really are dying

How do you feel about grammar? What's your favorite usage dictionary?

*tips*

depends on what art you consume and if you don't have twitter then count yourself out

You're scum. Everything about you is what I despise in my generation. This is probably a troll but you faggots are crazy enough that at least one poster on this board probably lives like this.

grammar is merely a secondary consideration when judging the value of a literary effort. i respect it for it provides structure and lucidity to a text, but beyond those things my appreciation is comparatively limited

Holy shite, your Facial Width-to-Height Ratio screams "low test"

i consume all forms of art, both contemporary and classic; literature, film, music, television, photography, fine art, sculpture, architecture, my appreciation for art is diverse and open-minded. and i have a twitter account, a facebook account, an instagram account, a youtube account, a bandcamp account, a soundcloud account, a periscope account and a linkedin account.

What do you think are some good novels written recently? Also whats your opinion on IJ?

i actually meant what shows, bands, films, etc specifically rather than the categories

also maybe if you lived in berlin it would give you an even more contemporary edge but ny still counts

recently i would recommend the novels 'preparation for the next life' by atticus lish, 'taipei' by tao lin, 'the girls' by emma cline, 'lolito' by ben brooks, 'a little life' by hanya yanagihara, 'the story of my teeth' by valeria luiselli, 'did you ever have a family' by bill clegg, among others. my opinion of 'infinite jest', like my opinion of 'taipei', is again too complex and mutli-faceted to be contained within a single Veeky Forums post, but in short i enjoyed the book, i believe it provides a necessary diagnosis of a particular cultural malady and that it also serves as david wallace's first attempt to write about human matters rather than solely intellectual or abstract ones. i hope to read it when i have the time.

as far as i can tell berlin is merely a second-hand paris, a thrift-store vienna, london without the veneer of a civilized culture. remove the graffiti and what distinction does berlin truly possess? as for the specific artists i appreciate, i would link my bandcamp and various other social media as a means of providing a more comprehensive answer, but i didn't intend for this thread to embarrass or intimidate individuals not as immersed in the art as myself. i'll just say that if you name a meaningful piece of art released in the past five years, i was probably one of the first ones to acknowledge its value prior to it gaining a more public accreditation.

OP youre the roth/delillo jew to my pynchon/mccarthy gentile

>live in southern mexico
>writing experimental autotheory prose-poetry
>surf everyday
>tall fit handsome with unironic mustasche
>very happy, no health issues mental or otherwise, lots of laughter
>great sex life with locals and tourists

Hope you dont regret your chapbook, but you probably will

This is the life I aspire to achieve

How did you attract this qt gf.
i want one also. Unfortunately I'm studying computer science instead.

berlin is big in the contemporary art world and surely as a vegan you read about the vegan restaurant that opened there and the huge turnout that gathered

what about kuwtk

>in short I enjoyed the book
>i hope to read it when i have the time

wait so you have read it or no?

if one Veeky Forums post isn't enough room for you to give a verdict on a book, you probably can't write.

subtle trolling by the way: I'm inclined to respond as though your posts are sincere, though I suspect they're not. The opening post is a little obvious but the subsequent defenses make it believable.

we met at a taco place where i had gone after a reading with some friends. she is actually a drummer in a band and overheard me talking about the band / singer frankie cosmos, who she is acquainted with. needless to say our appreciation for music soon resulted in a night of intense discussion. our respective groups of friends left while we continued to eat, and drink, and engage in the kind of dialogue that any contemporary new york novel ifocusing on the lives of the city's cultured youth s likely to include. after the taco place we walked arm-in-arm down to the upper bay near red hook and sat on a concrete bench whispering and giggling and enjoying the kinds of things two people in love tend to enjoy. but the declaration of our mutual love came weeks later. we didn't quite live up to the standard set by george saunders, who married his wife within three weeks of meeting her at the syracuse creative writing program, but still, our love blossomed quickly and soon we became an item, we were going steady, she even wore my ring on a chain around her neck, while i was gifted a medallion belonging to her long-deceased father. now on the weekends we tend to go to rockaway, to queens, to manhattan and to the other boroughs of the city simply to talk, and to read, and occasionally to ingest psychotropic drugs intended to provide even further insight into topics like human consciousness, the cosmos, and the fundamental laws of human existence.

i have not read it, though i enjoyed it nonetheless. it is a book i enjoy.

ugghhh nooooo you were supposed to meet at a party

k bb

we did first meet at a party, if you catch my euphemistic drift

like a woody allen film I like this

if you're happy, that's all that matters, but you're not special. sorry.

>both vegan
>both suffering from several self-diagnosed personality disorders

sounds about right, eat some fucking animal fat or end up like nietzsche

I bet this is the memoir guy and norwegian cabin guy as well.

what makes you believe that?

Anyone else tired of this ironic and sarcastic lifestyle that has permeated our demographic? I honestly feel like I haven't had a real and honest heart to heart conversation with anyone (besides my parents) since like 2010. Not saying I'm blameless, but still.

Fucking fags itt

"several self-diagnosed personality disorders"
It's funny but there are actually people out there who believe this about themselves

Yes, and me and my group of stoner-philosophers friends are trying to avoid it like hellfire. It's just feels so much better to be completely open, sincere and free to express oneself without the barriers of some stupid insecurity.

take some 50x salvia

I used to desu but I let that shit go and my life has been so much better.

Self-identifying with and accepting any disorder is incredibly harmful imo.

Nope. It's literally perfect.

By definition, the only Personality Disorder that might be self-diagnosed is Obsessive-Compulsive

Suicide would be the only thing that could make you ahead of the trend. I actually mean this, I'm not just saying "kys." I think as a lot of people our age who are as involved in that kind of lifestyle hit 30 two things will happen: they'll become normies, leave whatever city they're in for a suburb, and try to make it some facsimile of their idea of "cool," but it'll still just end up very Updike.
Or, they'll kill themselves because they can't handle that their personality was a bizarre trend and the trend is passed.

>By definition

*tips fedora*

Reading shit like this is why I don't buy books. I don't want to fund people living the NY life when I live in fucking Scotland. Fuck those Chads and Staceys

This is that 100 post user again.

Newfags, there is a poster who constantly creates really elaborate schemes to mess with people by getting them to feel sympathy for his character and then slowly dissolve into autism, it usually always begins with calling himself a genius (I've noticed this pattern) he used to joke about his 6 volume memoir or this time that he paid a publisher to publish his book and he scheduled a book signing at a barnes and noble where only his mom came and bought 3 copies of the book. He does this because he's admitted he has nothing else in life and gets some sort of pleasure out of it, anyway, he had me going for a little bit until I saw him descend into cunty autism but the nail in the coffin is this quote that he always uses when people ask to see his writing in these threads (because it's pretty good but it comes from an archived post from years ago back when warosu was up, someone else found that one out, he usually takes any written material from past critique threads but almost always this one):
>"Magnus realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke he had recently heard had been told by himself, to himself, and at his own expense."
Anyway OP, you should really find something else to occupy your time if this is all you really have.

Update: It's the cabin guy as well.

Even though the personalities are (slightly) different the styles is the same. Some less common words used in all 3 shitposts.

Where in Scotland?

I was thinking of moving to Edinburgh soon.

That's really nice. I just feel like everything is superficial with me and my friends. It's fine to hang out with them and I have fun but there's just not a lot of substance. And again, I know a lot of that is my fault as well because I'm a bland pothead, but I guess I'm just complaining.

I've tried dating sincere people and they're weird.
Last girl I dated only liked mainstream hip hop(j.cole,logic) and edm.Hated reading and spent her time watching soap operas and keeping up with the kardashians. Took 20-30 bathroom selfies each morning just to upload one picture for instagram then whine hours later it didn't get enough likes like she planned.
Her life was like that Everyday and whenever I would introduce her into reading or different entry level music she would IMMediately hate it and asked wtf is wrong with me.

My only friends are people who are leading the downward spiral life of sarcasm like you said.
WAKE ME UP

?? Seriously? Amerifag here, I recently just ditched NYC to bum around North Africa and Europe I like it so much-- haven't specifically been to Scotland but it's my number one destination in the UK.

>ny
>contemporary
top kek
london, paris, ny are 20th century cities and 21st century property portfolios.

move to berlin, capetown, singapore or an hip city to stay relevent.

this is just as contrived and inauthentic and unlike how real people live their lives.

you people spend all your time focusing on this bullshit.

You're so stupid. Typical American mentality. Scotland isn't Edinburgh. Scotland isn't Hogsmeade Village. Scotland isn't Loch Ness. Go to teh backstreets of Greenock. Go to the slums of Dundee. Visit the abandoned retail parks of Paisley.

>Capetown
No artists live there except for Die Antwood

>Singapore
kek

>Berlin
Berlin is the Sweden of Germany.

Who cares dude get over yourself

what part of north africa
I bummed around in west africa for a year.(nigeria,ghana,togo) before I ran out of money and got malaria

man it's good to be back in america. tho I miss the fresh food

you're a fucking disgrace. you'll realize this once you hit 30

top kek, i suppose you also think greeks started literature and barrack uboma is the leader the free world too, bub?

>muh maturity meme

please, get a grip.

what a shitty post

>59 replies

if it ain't fixed

>either someone aspires to live the literary lifestyle or they're a kardashian-lovin selfie bimbo

The most sincere person I know is a chinese girl who is currently a phd economics student at harvard who wants help poor countries develop economically.

The Chinese Have Destroyed Many African Economies Due To Their Neo-Colonial Ideology

*vapes in your direction*

China is already a world power. It's pretty much colonized Africa already. But the fact is it has a corrupt political system, a disgusting backwards pseudo-Western culture, a brutal legal system and no aesthetic standards at all. It's one giant Kowloon Walled City. Observing China from space is like watching flies reproduce on a piece of dog feces. I'm sure it's fun walking around Guangzhou in your leather trenchcoat, black sports shades and pinstriped fedora while the hunchbacked peasants clack and hurry around your slow-moving gait, but in reality the only reason you enjoy it is because you enjoy a sense of superiority there that you know you will never experience anywhere else as a result of your autism and lack of social grace. Who cares if it's going to be a "major international player"? All that means is that a bunch of figures will change on official government documents. Regardless of muh GDP or muh exports you will still be living as the only semi self-aware human being in a sea of callous clones. But, hey. Who am I to judge right? I mean I'm sure you enjoy taking financially desperate girls who were lucky not to be aborted (forcefull or otherwise) back to your cube-like apartment where you can eat your gutter oil-based food and watch a Chinese imitation of Rush Hour 2 with a Uyghur playing Chris Rock's character. I'm sure it's great wheezing through the smog each morning to teach a bunch of kids who look like anime burn victims how to say "good afternoon!" and "my parents wanted a son!". I wouldn't be at all surprised if your face bears a wide and expressive smile as you stand at your window at night and watch the diesel-guzzling trucks spewing black smoke as they and other vehicles traverse a street lined with the bodies of deceased children. I mean why wouldn't you enjoy the prospect of dressing in your favorite imitation Armani tshirts sewed by some eight year old in Shenzhen and then stepping into an elevator knowing that today may very well be the day it plummets all fifty stories of your poorly engineered apartment building or traps you inside its doors, leaving you to starve as a nation of consumers squat near their bulky televisions and eat rice with chopsticks while watching a reality TV show in which your death inside the aforementioned elevator provides the entertainment. Well good luck buddy, to you and your Samsung wife and your pudgy, asthmatic son who you really didn't expect to look like that.

You're not talking to an actual person. He just puked up a bunch of tired NYC literary scene stereotypes from 5-7 years ago to see who'd take the bait.

you are right but that doesn't contradict anything I said.

Lol, showing interest in Scotland makes me stupid? No wonder you hate where you live, you sound like a bitter, lonely beta. Nothing in my post gave you the slightest inclination why I might want to visit Scotland, or that I had some jaded view that your country was without poverty. I guess I've learned to not even reply to any poster that uses the phrase "Chads and Staceys"

are you dating her?

No, being an American showing interest in Scotland (TM) makes you stupid. My being a bitter, lonely beta is besides the point. Most geniuses were lonely and beta. I'm glad you've learned something in this thread, guy. Here's another lesson you may want to take notes on: you're an idiot.

>be 25
>live in monterrey, mx
>spend days wasting away my savings from working part time at a liquor store
>can't hold a relationship to save my life
>alcoholic
>bitter
>suffering from hypertension
>have never met a single person irl that's into literature
>never met tao lin
>used to take etizolam by the boatloads and black out for days
>even bought a car once
>will probably never finish my novel
>wear whatever the fuck still fits
>semi-sincere sociopath
>own a screen shattered android and laptop that can't hold a charge without being plugged in
>wtf i hate memes now
>post on Veeky Forums when lit - otherwise see it as pointless
>....

r8 me

Not him but why do you think this way? Why does an American being interested in visiting Scotland upset you?

If I ran into the girl of your dreams I would probably cum inside of her before she'd let you spit one sentence of your interest in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, you genius little faggot

>le u only get the REAL sense of a place by going to its shittiest parts and getting stabbed
He's a faggy tourist, but you're a tumblrite.