/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Lazy Ass Users Can't Make a New Thread Edition

What sff book are you reading?

What new book/ never discussed book would you like to recommend?

Why is it that with 80+ regular users I had to make the last 3 threads?

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

kboards.com/index.php?topic=147507.0
gutenberg.org/ebooks/3207
baenebooks.com/c-10-ring-of-fire-series-by-eric-flint.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Why is it that with 80+ regular users I had to make the last 3 threads?
Because for some reason you think a thread needs to be created before the old one hits page 10.

>What sff book are you reading?

Knife Of Dreams. Yeah, I know.

>What new book/ never discussed book would you like to recommend?

It seems I'm the only one who has read Van Der Meer's Finch, but it's a good book and I'm going to shill it.

Hate fucking is perfectly understandable

I don't want y'all becoming inured to my sense of humor.

I find it a bit eerie when I encounter cherryhposting in outer lit. Some user just isn't as subtle :3 as I am.

Is Lies of Locke Lamora any good?

It's awful.

it's alright, avoid the rest of the series

what's wrong with it?

Can I get some recommendations on books that are about the future of humanity like pic related and Julian May books?

Rothfuss thinks it's amazing and similar to his work.
I don't need to add anything.

So it's really good? Thanks I'll check it out

So it's shit then. Also kek @ Rothfuss for thinking his own work is "amazing" when it's really nothing more than a beta cuck's power fantasy.

That whole review was Rothfuss wanking himself over how good his book was and how upset he was that he was being compared to Lynch. Like he was paid to give a positive review but did it in the most assblasted manner possible

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Halfway through, really good if a bit strange.

It is a know fact that the west has been stealing bits of anime for years to write fantasy / scifi...

Now they are annexing the entire farm... what does this book scream at you when you first glance?

Seid ihr das Essen?
Nein, wir sind der Jäger!

die Jäger*

The often requested chart, now without bait or traps

I'll post mine then, brother.

Going and do an update soon, lord of light and a few others are being added.

Shit I forgot Iron Dragons Daughter

How is lord of light modern you idiot

Where do I start with Gene Wolf?
Name a few books, because I'll be buying them internationally and should try to stick to one shipping fee.

Does anyone write fantasy novels purely for fun and not try to get them published or anything? I've written two and am writing a third and nobody has read them but me. I just find it enjoyable. I'd love to get published or something but it seems like a lot of work and rejection to approach agents and publishers and everything. Just wondering if anyone else wrote genre fiction purely as a hobby.

I've never written anything longer than a Veeky Forums post in my whole 29 years of life.

Updated version. If anyone will repost, post this one.

Book of the New Sun
Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
Best of Gene Wolfe
Fifth Head of Cerberus
The Wizard Knight

Different user, but am I missing anything with this list? I want to make sure this is all the Gene Wolfe Sun content:

THE SOLAR CYCLE

The Book of the New Sun #1 - The Shadow of the Torturer 1980
The Book of the New Sun #2 - The Claw of the Conciliator 1981
The Book of the New Sun #3 - The Sword of the Lictor 1982
The Book of the New Sun #4 - The Citadel of the Autarch 1983

The Castle of the Otter 1983

The Urth of the New Sun 1987

The Book of the Long Sun #1 - Nightside the Long Sun 1993
The Book of the Long Sun #2 - Lake of the Long Sun 1994
The Book of the Long Sun #3 - Caldé of the Long Sun 1994
The Book of the Long Sun #4 - Exodus from the Long Sun 1996

The Book of the Short Sun #1 - On Blue's Waters 1999
The Book of the Short Sun #2 - In Green's Jungles 2000
The Book of the Short Sun #3 - Return to the Whorl 2001

That is all.

he's missing the short stories

The Cat
The Map
Empires of Foliage and Flower

they go before new sun iirc

there are a few short stories set in the Sun universe: The Map, The Cat, empires of Foliage and Flower. The Map and the Cat are in Endangered Species ... empires of foliage and flower is in starwater strains. Some people like to say miscellaneous stories are "Brown Book stories" but those are the ones definitely set in the Urth universe, and the others are simply not even thematically related.

When should i read those short stories? before or after new sun?

Unimportant. They are mostly independent.

My "modern" chart is for people who enjoy books written in our times.

Books recommended on the chart would still live up and be enjoyed by contemporary readers. You don't get a dated feel when reading them.

They are enjoyable and somewhat meld with our current version of society (not talking sjw shit).

A lot of the old scifi I have are described in such a way that they can be from a modern time. Like the time machine, finished that a few weeks back, how things were described sans the candles, you could take it for some 1% snob's residence.

The Map should be read after the first four volumes of New Sun. Probably the Cat as well.

Also, the Night Chough is another Long Sun short story, to be read after Long Sun

>diary of a young girl

Just finished 1632.
What's Veeky Forums stance about the Ring of Fire books?

>tfw will never teach a war-ravaged qt the power of orgasms

Judging by the "power of orgasms" it's probably anime tier shit

Diaspora by Greg Egan

Kek

I just want to say

I'd been getting kind of burnt out on reading between having to do a lot of academic reading for uni, but I started reading some genre fiction again and it's really reminded me how much I do love reading. Sanderson is no Dostoevsky or anything, but he reawakened the joy of the experience for me, so I'm thankful.

I am baffled by people praising The Stormlight Archive over Mistborn though; the latter has so much more thematic depth and ambition that it's ridiculous.

>a few second hand books and shipping is a fifth of my monthly income

Gotta love being born in the ass of the world.
How is this haul? Also, is there some way to buy second hand books in the EU so I don't pay as much for shipping?

t. bulgarian poorfag

Moar charts

>Gotta love being born in the ass of the world.

That is not your problem.

Your problem is refusing to get on with the times and simply buying a Glo HD/Paperwhite.

>book cover defines the book
>character standing in front of [imposing threat] is somehow revolutionary

Reaching more that stretch Armstrong here

I would justify getting one, if I could reliably pirate well formatted versions of the books I want.
Tried doing that and half the stuff I want to read either can't be (illegally) downloaded for free, or the copies available have spelling errors, missing pages, bad formatting, and so on.

Point me to a solid ebook archive that actually has its links work and deliver good copies, and I'll buy two kindles.

All of the books in that "haul" are available everywhere without issues.

for the longest time i thought china mieville was female, until i saw his image posted on Veeky Forums actually

mobilism and libgen are both solid.

>Judge by a cover, won't you?
T'was just a jest. Learned million times more about the 30y war than in school.

Buy an e reader for less than you are paying for now for these books lol

Thats because I am only buying the books I can afford and see second hand.

Both have more than half their links be either broken, or to terribly fotmatted copies.

That's because you never read a book about the 30 year war son.

Your post led me to this
kboards.com/index.php?topic=147507.0

Unless you are looking for very specific contemporary philosophy, every fantasy you can think of has a good epub.

I've no idea wtf you're talking about. The new, expensive books even more likely have good versions available.

>Download Calibre
>Learn 2 format
>Git gud
>???
>Profit (and contribute to the community, uploading the books)

Or just sit there and whine like a little bitch.

Couldn't find good ones for stuff like Leviathan, Decline of the West, Make Friends and Influence People, etc.
Or the Inside Jokes book that I an contemplating buying now, but all these ebook posts are making me reconsider. A hundred dollaridoos are a lot of money for me.

Format, as in the actual text, not the fucking file extension.
No footnotes, no references linked, no captions or headers, no different fonts for some of the text, things like that. It can kill some books.

I did now... Because 1632 piked my interest.
Instead of being such a curmudgeon, why don't you downlad it and give it a go? It's free. (The rest of the series is not)

Calibre lets you edit all of what you mentioned. All of it.

Leviathan is even free on Gutenberg man
gutenberg.org/ebooks/3207

Also, pdfs on ereaders aren't so bad.
The only authors I couldn't find in mobi or epub are G.S.M. Anascombie, Edith Stein and Peter Geach and they are very far from commonly read authors as far as editions go.

Ok, then just keep whining, I guess...

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird name - I actually had the opposite happen with Andre Norton.

Might do some more specialized charts soon, seems like there's nothing much here aside from generic "recommendations" ones. Anyone got requests?

Because I have better books to read, honestly.

Do themes.
Sword&Sorcery, the mode "realistic" fantasy, high fantasy, etc.

Contribooting
baenebooks.com/c-10-ring-of-fire-series-by-eric-flint.aspx

Good enough, then.
Just don't be under the impression it's "anime tier shit" because I made a joke you didn't like.

In these threads, fetishes make people go through Sanderson and Jordan, it's hard to tell who is joking and who isn't.

I'm going through Jordan through sheer force of will and despite being annoyed at the enormous quantity of spanking and slapping going on. I just have to know how all the million subplots and events come crashing together. Book 11 right now.

Because I made the other 3 threads. Literally. So I'm tired of making new threads.

Why is there no malazan movie/book adaptation?

Your contribution is appreciated.

I haven't read a single book from this list

How is that even possible for a person who reads sff?

Are you American?

It's already a book.
I'll update it as I read good stuff and I forgot Lem. I always forget Lem.

Not american, but I do say I did read some of the ideas that were in 1984, brave new world and the one about burning all books, but not the books itself

>but I do say I did read

Are you from Illian? Me, I'm from Tarabon, yes?

How do you not read Lord of the Rings and The Master and Margarita?

boring

What kind of english is this

Braid tugging intensifies.

MaM is not too popular in all areas of the world. Bulgakov isn't exactly Dostoevsky/Tolstoy/Gogol/Chekov popular.

Fucking Faust reading shits.

Only read Sorrows of Young Werther.
I'm generally not a big fan of anything German, philosophy or literature.

Meant that MaM is basically a retelling of the Faust legend. Nevermind.

Oh, right, sorry.
I know only one person who read Faust. She's a hot patrician qt who used to hang out with me for a while, then mysteriously stopped all contact. A shame desu.
Werther is mandatory school reading.

>you'll never settle down and have a nice long comfortable life with Spinner-of-Rope
:-(

>you will never band up and go hunting, fishing and raiding with Cnaiür urs Skiötha, then come home to give each other handjobs

>you will never cruise interstellar trade routes, studiously applying yourself to the unfamiliar role of merchant crewman as the lone male interloper on a crew of adoring space cats

You do realize the book isn't about killing giants?

I must say I don't find what you gentlemen say rather comprehensible, care to elaborate on your ideas perhaps?

>writing a book
>now at 40k words
>a plot has yet to materialize

Should I kill myself?

Are you going for a Gormenghast kind of thing? If not, yes.

You already did, user. This is hell. In hell too, you are trying, and failing, to write a book.

Are you female? If so, it's perfectly normal for your type

I'm sort of the opposite, I've hit 43k and now I'm ready to wrap everything up in a couple of chapters.