I'm a big pleb and pic related is probably my favourite book. Some authors that I like to read are Bret Easton Ellis...

I'm a big pleb and pic related is probably my favourite book. Some authors that I like to read are Bret Easton Ellis, Dostoyevsky, Chuck Palahniuk, Tao Lin, Cormac McCarthy, Irvine Welsh, Bukowski and Don DeLillo.

As you can tell, what I like is all a bit samey, and I'm looking for new stuff that I might like. Does Veeky Forums have any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Trafficking-Sexual-December-Dav-Crabes-ebook/dp/B01JKQ1QU2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

infinite jest

>Bukowski
stop reading forever please

You're not very pleb desu. Read Homer.

Thanks! Are these books that you think I'll like or just books that you think are good?

Forever laughing is a meme but also a good book, homer is legitimately a good author and absolutely necessary to be a literary type

Give Eugene Marten's "Firework" or "In the Blind" a try.

Hijacking the thread because I don't want to make a new one but want do you think about Timothy Price in American Psycho? A big brother figure? Batemans actual love interest? A proper maniac? He always struck me as the actual danger in the book.

Thanks very much, I haven't heard of Marten, I'll check him out.

I think that Price represents an almost-healthy outlet for what Bateman feels. He's the most overtly aggressive in the novel, but when he escapes down those railway tracks it's as if he's found some mental escape. Then when he appears later he seems more well-rounded and calm. I think, overall, he represents the notion that the suppression of emotion is what makes Bateman explode in the way that he does. That said, Price still doesn't deal with his feelings in a particularly healthy way (and the character is a lot more complex than my simple analysis). I also think you're onto something with the homosexual vibe, I think he's the character of all of Bateman's friends who is most likely to be gay.

There are a lot of signs that Bateman is gay. He hates women, and is deeply misognyistic when he fucks them. He's narcissistic, and very fashion obsessed (not necessarily gay, but suggests a leaning towards homosexuality). He also expresses disgust towards gays, which could be said to be a method of coping with being gay.

You're welcome- he's not especially well known, though I'm surprised his work hasn't gathered a broader audience at this point. Out of sympathy with the times perhaps. Great writer of the blue collar underbelly, in his first three books at least- last novel didn't quite hang together. Highly recommended.

And Price? He wants to get rid of his gf and and is just as misogynistic. He criticizes womens appearances more than all the other guys in their group and when they mock him for not flirting with women he's just like "I could if I wanted to, I just don't do it around you idiots". And Bateman admires him a lot, to say the least. The moment when Price prefers the other guys business card over his, he's devastated. And I believe that Price is playing with him in a way.

And Price does a lot more gay-bashing than other characters

I think we're onto something lad

Why don't you go read all those authors you have interest in, then come back, voice your opinion on what you've read (give your opinion backbone with careful analysis, and evidence from the text), then we can tell you what to read based on your taste.

Huh? I have read all of those authors, that's how I know that I like them. I like all of those authors because their characters are empty and lost and feel that their existence is meaningless (so they resort to various means to try and solve this). I also like the sparsity of dialogue in lots of that work. What I also enjoy is that all of those authors try to understand, express and solve their own insignificance (and ours) through their books.

This - amazon.co.uk/Trafficking-Sexual-December-Dav-Crabes-ebook/dp/B01JKQ1QU2

Maybe try something non-fiction, something genre and something written by a woman. Let's start you off with

>non-fiction
Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell

>genre
The Fifth Head of Cerberus - Gene Wolfe

>femme-Veeky Forums
Wise Blood - Flannery O'Connor

These are all something different but they shouldn't cause you to lose any brain cells either.

read the book like 6 times now. noone but Luis is gay. Patrick hates women almost as much as men but there is only one line in the book that indicates he tortures men as well when he mentions separating the bodies at hells kitchen.

Maybe try Kafka.
I also liked American Psycho and Dostojewski