Why are you guys so obsessed with purity and virtue? Is this an attitude you've always had...

Why are you guys so obsessed with purity and virtue? Is this an attitude you've always had, or did you acquire it by reading a bunch of antiquated books?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8N-qO3sPMjc
youtube.com/watch?v=UQfRdl3GTw4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What else is there worth pursuing in life?

>Why are you guys so obsessed with purity and virtue?

Are we?

I'm a just an pragmatic individualist with late night transcendental delusions

They are worthy of obsession

Or should I be obsessed with hypocrisy and corruption

Seems like every thread, regardless of what it's actually about, has somebody in it spouting off about living the virtuous life.

Lots of things are worth pursuing. What has virtue done for you, that you think nothing else is worthwhile?

you should be obsessed with AESTHETICS

youtube.com/watch?v=8N-qO3sPMjc

Virtue has given me peace of mind and the respect of people I respect.

What is worth pursuing more than virtue?

Personally I'm not big on purity but I acquired a respect for virtue from the stoics. I think having a good and well-defined philosophical/moral compass that you can adhere to is important for happiness. You have something to measure yourself and your actions by, rather than just haphazardly pleasure seeking and hoping you'll just stumble across happiness if you keep accumulating more and more luxuries.

Nowadays it almost feels like your paycheck has replaced your values in terms of what you measure yourself by. People are lead to believe they're doing well if they get paid well, even if their work makes them miserable / they do things they don't agree with. And the nice thing is I have much better control over defining my values than I do about defining my paycheck.

So yeah, I acquired that philosophy from reading a bunch of antiquated books, and I thank them for it. A little bit of introspection can go a long way in actually feeling satisfied with your life.

Because virtue is acquired through effort, thus a virtuous person shows to have a strong will and capable of many things by means of it.
A person who blends at every simple and immediate pleasure is closer to a beast, and it is often what we encounter in the lower classes of society.

newflash. purity and virtue are good traits. they are good qualities for a person to have.

you should strive to better yourself.

~!NEWSFLASH!~

Fat is the new thin honey. So let's get the pina coladas flowing!

Poles are criminals. FACT.

Virtue doesn't even mean anything. It's an empty word.

>Virtue doesn't even mean anything. It's an empty word.

Doesn't it just mean acting according to your morals? If you've determined a system of morals, and you adhere to them, you're behaving virtuously. If you don't live according to your morals, you're not behaving virtuously. If you think stealing is wrong and you steal, that isn't virtuous. If you think stealing is fine if you give it to someone in need and you do it, that's virtuous to you but not to the guy who thinks stealing is wrong.

Virtue is Virtus, Vir, like Man, like the Were in Werewolf. It translates the Greek ἀρετή, which means the same thing (same root as the andr- in android).

It only came to mean "virtue" in the Victorian period.

Virtue means being a wise and good person.

he probably means he doesn't have any morals and expects others to have none as well

youtube.com/watch?v=UQfRdl3GTw4

I don't know what you're talking about
I'm a disgusting person

I would expect such a ridiculous question from a Slurm drinking, hawaiian shirt wearing doggo.

Silly animal

Because I want a pure waifu

"Virtue" is simply what one thinks is best for oneself. The fact that many "antiquated books" pointed somewhat towards the same set of characteristics deemed good might have to do with the fact that they are universal, and we just have to discover them in ourselves.

Or maybe not, I can't prove their existence in you, only experience them in mine.

>Why are you guys so obsessed with purity and virtue?
Wrong board

this is a good, if middling post
i encourage you to make more thoughtful contributions to this board
a+
i like it

this is a post doing a good job
a+
i like this

Not sure if arete is related to aner. There is a specific virtue derived from aner, andreia, "courage" (lit. "manliness.")