Based off of what I've read so far, what would Veeky Forums recommend I read next

Based off of what I've read so far, what would Veeky Forums recommend I read next.

The most recent was Kafka if it helps.

Read The Bible. Veeky Forums really fucked up by letting it drop down to #22

>has read V
>crosses with V
what does it mean

Don't underestimate objects

just do GR, you've done all the Pynchons, you have read infinite joke, now you have to bring it all full circle
it is in the stars

I don't understand how someone can remotely like reading and not have already read at least 50% of these. The vast majority aren't obscure or Veeky Forums specific, they're high school curriculum.

lolita and moby dick higher than don quixote lol

i havent read catch-22 but I'm assuming I'd lol at that too

>they're high school curriculum.
Many of us don't live in the U.S. The Veeky Forums-top chart has quite a few american classics (bradbury, huxley, hemingway, faulkner, etc), but hardly any high schools outside the u.s cares much about these books.
I live in south america. Aside of national literature, we read greek classics then english literature, and then german and french literature. Never an 'american classic' was a required reading.

>thread about post your 5 fav books
>ends up on a shitfest
Of course, it should be a top 25 AT MAX and based on debate.

get on my level

Read dostoiesvki you dumb fuck.

How the fuck have you not read 1984?

If you ignore all the american books, then you're left with 60 of the 100, most of which are considered "essential" reading.

You essentially had to read them at some point right? You weren't just born with the knowledge of having read them correct?

So better late than never. How about be constructive instead of trying to impress anonymous posters.

his taste is based off of Veeky Forums

This and Steppenwolf are unexcusable

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm just a little embarrassed I'm sharing a board with someone who has read infinite jest and not even fucking Hamlet.

get on MY level

why did you save my photo? please delete
i'm not a redditor is why

Can someone post the chart without the marks?

No. 1984 is terrible but did you not go to high school?

Just ignore that. I've hardly read 40% of that list despite most likely reading much more than that poster.

Their being high school curriculum, US high school curriculum no less, also correlates with them being of no interest to heavy readers. You're not being very astute here.

>Steppenwolf
>reddit-tier

in high school i read greek mythology, shakespeare, fitzgerald, hemingway, hawthorne, locke, and dickens

Ficciones. Immediately.

>most of which are considered "essential" reading.
Most of them aren't, are least not for a high school curriculum.

wrong book lel

I read a lot of obscure world literature so it's not much.

Is Moby Dick really that good? Will anything be different in my life after I read it? Will I be a foremost whale scholar or something?

No interest to heavy readers? You've read less than 40%? Let's do the math here.

The "essential" reads that are pretty much expected of anyone remotely literate are Homer, Chaucer, Nietzche, Dickens, Aurelius, Bronte, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Kafka, Tolstoy, Hemingway, Hugo, Milton, Shakespeare, Dante, Joyce, the Bible, and Cervantes. These total 30.

Let's add in names known by the average non-reading adult, with Carrol, Miller, Fitzgerald Steinbeck, Baudelaire, Woolf, Nabokov, Dick, Camus, Melville, Orwell, Salinger, Proust, Faulkner, Tolkien, Wilde, Vonnegut, Conrad, Bradbury. That totals 29.

That'd be 59% which make up the bedrock of understanding fiction and a general western cultural frame of reference, along with pervasive in popculture and pretty much universally read books.

Get your shit together.

Hemingway essential?
kek

>Dickens, Bronte, Dumas, Hemingway, Hugo, Bible
>essential
>Miller, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Salinger, Tolkien
>
You have absolutely no clue.
And you shouldn't be expecting people outside of the US to know or care about Faulkner.

Hemingway is a pillar of modernism, regardless of taste. Dickens is the largest (not best, but largest) English novelist, and Hugo is his French counterpart. Dumas and Bronte are pretty close in their influence.

Not reading the Bible in any part is akin to not understanding basic arithmetic, from an artistic and literary standpoint.

Are either of you below 18, or possibly reside in illiterate countries? You're acting as if some of the most read authors in history are obscure.

>Hemingway is a pillar of modernism, regardless of taste.
Nobody outside the US teaches Hemingway in high school, regardless of how good he is in the US, he is not relevant in the history of literature. The same applies for many other authors, like Salinger, Steinbeck, and Miller. There is nothing relevant in Dumas and Bronte to be taught in high school either.

I'm blown away how Journey to the End of Night has dropped so low on this list. That's definitely a favorite of mine, but I haven't read more than half of these.

The Bible? Really? What possible literary interest can it have? Is there any merit besides being a compendium of various writers?

While I agree Hemingway's prose has been influential, could you please elaborate on how is the Bible an artistic or literary achievement?

kys

This is why Veeky Forums is not a useful board. (Well most of Veeky Forums, I suppose). Can mankind still write without memes?

>reads that are pretty much expected of anyone remotely literate
>Hemingway
kek

if youre referring to kys its not memeing if youre referring to the hemingway posters yes they are zykkon-bable shitposters

Catcher in the rye
Short but great

oi lit

explain to me the appeal of the savage detectives

curious as to why its even listed at all other than being by a meme author

>Hemingway is a pillar of modernism, regardless of taste
US literature begins and ends with Melville outside of the US. Deal with it.
>Dickens is the largest (not best, but largest) English novelist
Readers with minds and interests of their own do not care about how large GRRM is.
>Hugo is his French counterpart
Hugo is among the major French authors, Les Miserables isn't his major contribution to French lit. It's understandable that you would think otherwise, but you would be wrong.
>Dumas and Bronte are pretty close in their influence.
Indeed, nil
>the Bible
Having read some major passages of the Bible in high school does not constitute "having read the Bible". You haven't studied the Bible and you haven't read the Bible.

>You're acting as if some of the most read authors in history are obscure.
For each book in at least two thirds of that picture, there are a dozen works considered more important in any country with a literary history; people who intently engage in literature as a hobby have better things to spend their time on than your own list of works most popularly studied in school. The most read authors in history aren't even the subject here, but the fact that you seem very far from being able to grasp these two basic points would lead me to believe that many of those authors may very well be obscure to you. I suggest you start selecting books to read based on something other than their current popularity.

Fuckkk did you choose worst books that happens to be memes on purpose

>Don Quijote not #1
Into the trash with you

Where do I start with British / American literature as a non-native speaker?

In Germany we "only" read Schiller, Goethe, Hoffman, Kafka and so on

If you're lucky u will read Of mice and men in the later English classes.

roll

????

>infinite jest

DROPPED
R E
O P
P P
P O
E R
DEPPORD

You'll know how to jerk whale dong, that you should always build a coffin while on a ship, and not to listen to some crazy old man who lost his leg.