What is Veeky Forumss opinion on Ellison

What is Veeky Forumss opinion on Ellison

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HphgaZ96-4M
web.archive.org/web/20000902203835/http://sf.www.lysator.liu.se/sf_archive/sf-texts/Ansible/Last_Deadloss_Visions,Chris_Priest
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ha..

Loved him 5 or so years ago, now he comes off a bit clumsy to me with albeit a good idea here or there. More interesting as a personality.

I did this thread a while back.

Ellison is a shit writer. It's Elliot Rodger if he read books instead of playing Wow. He lived in the time when you could still get pussy even if you were a hopeless loser and just like the Rodger, he shows that he could have been something great.

Like him, honest guy. I like his work, even though it's not top notch lit.

i liked "the beast that shouted love at the heart of the world", that's all i've read from him though

>seeing his most recent youtube video from last year where he doesn't look intimidating anymore because he's so old

the original angry manlet

A Boy and His Dog has one of my favourite endings for a story. So heartwarming yet disheartening at the same time.

I like him. Not the best or anything but fun.

Funny when he BTFO nerds online

he really shines when it comes to self-promotion. "the essential ellison" has two intros and a postscript for each excerpt, all about Mr Ellison and how amazing he is. written by Mr Ellison.

he writes the same sort of twinkly crap as Neil Gaiman, except much less well. unless he's writing about Harlan Ellison, in which case stand the fuck back or he'll come all over you.

Is he really in the same league as Gaiman? I've only read I Have No Mouth and A Boy and His Dog, and I wouldn't really recommend them to fans of Coraline...

His anecdotes from real life and essays on whatever subjects come to his mind are, to me, far more entertaining than his fiction stories.

He's lived a cool life. For instance, he once beat up a professor who told him that 'his idiotic sci-fi stories were worthless', and that he'd never get published. He was kicked out of college for that, and later, after he'd published his first book, he sent that professor a signed copy. I'd be really interested in knowing how he feels about the mainstream popularity of extremely shallow sci-fi. Wonder how his work would be different and differently recieved if it came out today.Especially since it isn't sci-fi and he hates those comparisons.

youtube.com/watch?v=HphgaZ96-4M
>muh 6 gorillion

Delusions For A Dragon Slayer is what got me to start reading again. Seems like no one else talks about that one.

When did he ever look intimidating?

He seemed like someone you'd be uncomfortable around in person.

The only time he seemed fine was that interview he did with Gene Wolfe and Asimov

>The only time he seemed fine

That's the only interview I have seen of Ellison and from that video onward I decided to never read anything or listen to anything he has to say. What a pretentious coke-fueled twat.

Kek, that interview

>Asimov trying desperately to expound his principles of hard sci-fi
>Ellison ranting about the most random shit and talking over him
>Wolfe sitting silently beside them, saying little, listening

he's not anywhere near Gaiman's level. Neil Gaiman is self-aware. Harlan Ellison is an autistic sociopath with a typewriter.

Neil Gaiman would never commission an SF anthology, collect stories for it, and then put it off for OVER FORTY YEARS while constantly lying about when it's coming out:

web.archive.org/web/20000902203835/http://sf.www.lysator.liu.se/sf_archive/sf-texts/Ansible/Last_Deadloss_Visions,Chris_Priest

I watched that interview for Wolfe and came away a bit disappointed. He only speaks maybe three times during the whole thing. I really wasn't expecting the explicit language warning at the start to be about him of the three.

Really enjoyed that one, had a really interesting ending.

Pretty Maggie Money-Eyes is my favourite of his.