Is "you must be autistic or severely socially handicapped to be a genius" a meme?

Is "you must be autistic or severely socially handicapped to be a genius" a meme?

Pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

pbs.org/genius-by-stephen-hawking/home/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The re-wiring in high-functioning autistic spectrum disorders, like Asperger's, often lead to academic genius, but practical and social uselessness.

A genius would figure out how to be social by observing other people.

So you aren't autistic / a genius user, don't worry.

Conflating different forms of intellect as one, that's your daily fallacy.

It's a matter of work and how much you're willing to devote yourself to your field. Most people have balance in their lives. Could you exhibit genius by devoting 100% of your time to mastering a subject? Probably. It just happens that people that want to devote themselves so thoroughly to intellectual pursuits purely to become a genius for its own sake tend to be autistic.

And I'm speaking about the internet fedora tipping 'autism' not the actual disorder.

>Ah yes, because intellect isn't at all genetic.
I'm sorry, what? Genetics control your hardware, hardware is processing power and memory. That means genetics cover two of the three aspects of genius: knowledge and partly innovation. It is partly environmental and partly genetic.

Not always that simple.

Smart people with strong work ethics are less likely to lie to themselves and may seem cold or stand offish to others purely beause they can sense weakness that other people are less likely to admit to.

You can definitely be antisocial if you have willed yourself into being a hard worker, normies who secretly just want to get drunk all day will pick up on it and try to convince themselves theyre superior by calling you "insensitive" or "a buzzkill".

You can know how you could behave to appeal to a certain kind of person, but why would I ever want to?

It's not a prerequisite, it's more a convenience, like using gloves while biking. Pretty sure you can win the Tour de France without gloves, they just aren't a big deal.

Neither is social reclusiveness, people just wrongly assume it.

This is purely anecdotal and not actually worth a crap as evidence, but in my experience, it's not absolutely true. A few of the people I've met who I would consider EXTREMELY intelligent-like, actually geniuses-are also unusually charismatic and charming as well. Granted, there's definitely some truth to the cliche of the brilliant sperg who's just wired too differently to fit in well, and even some of the charismatic and brilliant people I know are probably literally on the spectrum, but I honestly don't think being a genius necessitates social difficulty or awkwardness. In any case, it's definitely better to develop the skill of communicating than not to, and I think it's possible to be really bright, have turbosperg unleaded, and still be able to interact with people or at least communicate your thoughts in a fashion that's understandable to normies. People like that might be "wired differently," but it's not a social death sentence.

Also, most normal people don't quite understand what it's like to just myopically devote yourself to one thing. That can be a superpower, but fuck if it isn't alienating.

Let me put it to you this way: if we were to relocate you to an island populated entirely by the developmentally disabled, how sociable would you be?

Yes, and anyone trying to convince you otherwise is probably an antisocial loser who believes that movies about high school and college represent real life scenarios.

>A few of the people I've met

How many people do you think have met Grigori Perelman last years? Classic sampling bias.

Its not a meme, but I work in a math department at an R1 university on the east coast. The majority of respected Ph.Ds I've come across are crazy in one way or another.

In a typical office job I imagine there are always a few know-it-alls, probably a manager or two thinks he has all the answers or is the second coming of christ. Now imagine 80% of the people you work with are like that, thats what academia is like.

>Perfection the post.
Well done, sir.

well consider one of the greatest (some would say absolute greatest) minds in history: von nuemann. completely neurotypical.

it tends to be true that autistics are really good at maths, but never the greatest of their time. the most notable mathematician working today is tao terrence - completely normal.

>completely neurotypical
>completely normal
>completely
:^)

i mean, other than being smart. he wasnt antisocial or even particularly eccentric.

Thank god, I thought you were going all: (pbs.org/genius-by-stephen-hawking/home/) on us for a moment.

> less likely to lie to themselves
You don't have to lie to yourself.

Pseudo-intellectual detected. Keep jacking off with your IQ-tests. ;^)

>>A few of the people I've met
You brainlets keep resuming their lives with this mindset tho:
n=Intelligence -> m=Social skill
n=km
Omitting his environment and raising. These threads are too cancerous to have a productive discussion.

Keep deluding yourselves, brainlets. ;^=)

Humans aren't machines. Sure, some people may be predisposed to be smart, and genetics may also determine your max, but it's been proven you can increase intelligence with hard work.

Indeed, which is why I allow for environmental factors, though genetics is a primary factor.

Don't mind, user. Now they will "work hard" for the Olympic games and :"Why am I still dumb?"

Brainlets think you can have a singular strategy.

>different forms of intellect
there's your daily fallacy.

Because intellect pertaining to social interaction is akin to the intellect needed for logic based puzzles, like mathematics. Good one, moron. :^)

>Height correlates with IQ.
There's where you lost, not to mention, cherry picking the example of one very rare intellect. Not to mention, he had a gifted IQ, but not a genius IQ. Pretty weak example, user.

I always lol when someone calls some low-functioning autist a genius.

I've seen fags calling Terry Tao one of the smartest people alive. The guy can barely form sentences when speaking in public. Even his incredibly rehearsed presentations are full of awkward pauses, fumbles, and are uncomfortable. I can't consider that a genius or look up to someone like him. In my mind, he's just a great mathematician, a genius in his field. That's it.

I think that's also the reason a lot of people could look up to someone like Feynman and really learn from him. He was relatable, like a normal person, but 50x more intelligent.

>my claim of asocial people being smart is still valid
KEK

How does that state the opposite, fuck-face?

intelligence is literally a measure of autism and I'm not even memeing.

Trying to approach social interactions in that way is exactly why autists are so inept.

You're a fucking retard

Also, sometimes an unuaually high IQ develops which falls off rapidly after puberty

Thanks for clarifying that.

Did it hurt too much?
;^=)

Have you seen Terry Tao in his interviews? Dude isn't neurotypical

are you retarded
terrence tao is able to get his points across quite well actually. I studied Analysis Vol I and II by him and they were very well-written and had properly formed sentences.

Nice try but I made what I meant far too clear to fall for his b8.

actually this seems accurate to me from what I've seen, really intelligent people are often abnormal and have trouble interacting with people except for others similar to themselves, but actual genius level people tend to recognize their abnormality as a child and start mimicking the social habits of their peers, and by adulthood you can't even tell how weird they are unless you get to know them really well

please dont speak

Did it hurt too much? ;)

> it's been proven you can increase intelligence with hard work.

Source?

it's possible to learn but only to an extent

it's like trying to get a mustard stain out. it'll always be there a little bit

As someone who is successful in the world of academia but genuinely cannot figure out how to tie shoes in a lasting way, this sounds right.

laceless boots my nigga